Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Lachie Hunter signs contract extension to keep him at the Western Bulldogs until 2024

LINK
    Lachie Hunter will be a Western Bulldog for life with the premiership star locked in at Whitten Oval until the end of 2024.

Hunter, 24, told the Herald Sun it was “clearly ideal” to negotiate his contract extension before Round 1 amid optimism the Bulldogs can play finals this year.

“To get it done before the season was what I wanted because that’s the last thing you want going in,” Hunter said.

“As a player you don’t want that hanging over your head.”
    Hunter will slip into list manager Sam Power’s office to sign the paperwork this week after verbally agreeing on a five-year deal.

Hunter is just the eighth AFL player contracted in 2024, joining Dylan Shiel, Andrew Gaff, Dustin Martin and Toby Greene.
    Richmond’s Tom Lynch is the only player with a deal for 2025.

Hunter is also in rare air at the Bulldogs. While more than 1000 players have pulled on the jumper, he is one of just 12 to win both a premiership and best-and-fairest for the club.

“I definitely didn’t know that,” he said.

“It’s something that’s pretty cool. I’m sure once I’m finished I’ll look back and be pretty proud of that.”
    Hunter has blossomed into a vocal leader and captained the club twice last season.

The nifty left-footer produced almost identical numbers to All-Australian Gaff last year and expects the AFL’s rule changes to play into his hands.
    “It seems like there is going to be midfielders and wingmen getting bigger numbers, just because of there’s more space, particularly at centre bounces,” Hunter said.

“The more open the game is the better suited it is to me, so I’m definitely not complaining.”
    Hunter is the Dogs’ most durable player, helping him earn long-term security.

He has played 79 out of the past 80 games, with the only miss occurring because of suspension last year.
    “That’s actually the only game I’ve missed in seven years so far, so hopefully that can keep going,” Hunter said.

The Dogs lost pre-season games against Gold Coast and St Kilda and Hunter said they needed to sharpen up their foot skills.
    “It was a little bit disappointing. You’re trying to refine things and try different things, but you’re definitely still going hard to win,” Hunter said.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Prince Imperial, Murphy'sLore, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Rocket Science, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter signs contract extension to keep him at the Western Bulldogs until 2024

That's a good shot of Lachie in the suit by the yarra.
    " amid optimism the Bulldogs can play finals this year." Well not on this forum by and large, but I'm with you Lachie!
    Against all odds brother.

"The nifty left-footer produced almost identical numbers to All-Australian Gaff last year" - very noteworthy stat.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter signs contract extension to keep him at the Western Bulldogs until 2024

A huge extension, but he's earned it after a number of consistent years. His ability to accumulate and provide an option for teammates is second to none, but he needs to show more care by foot if he is to be considered one of the absolute stars of the competition.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    A huge extension, but he's earned it after a number of consistent years. His ability to accumulate and provide an option for teammates is second to none, but he needs to show more care by foot if he is to be considered one of the absolute stars of the competition.
    Couldn't agree more.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Like that we’ve locked away one of our talented father sons but 5 years is on the high side for mine given some of Lachie’s limitations. 3 would’ve been a better outcome for the Club but not going to lose sleep over it.

7. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Like that we’ve locked away one of our talented father sons but 5 years is on the high side for mine given some of Lachie’s limitations. 3 would’ve been a better outcome for the Club but not going to lose sleep over it.
    Limitations?

He's just won our B&F and racked up the same numbers as Gaff. No player is perfect but I feel this is incredibly harsh on Lachie.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I am proud of Lachie because for a while I suspected he was going to be one of those on the party side of the fence. Turned out to be our teflon dog. Happy to be proven wrong sir.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Limitations?

He's just won our B&F and racked up the same numbers as Gaff. No player is perfect but I feel this is incredibly harsh on Lachie.
    He certainly racks up big numbers, but to the naked eye his hurt factor isn't any where near that of Gaff.

12. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Then in 3 years in the prime of his career he gets a godfather free agency offer and leaves. The fans all cry why didn't we offer him a longer contract. There are risks either way.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 14-03-2019 at 05:59 PM.

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Limitations?

Not concerned one bit by his tally of possessions, and a B&F in a crap year shouldn’t be a given for a 5 year contract. Maybe I’m old school on giving 5 year plus contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He certainly racks up big numbers, but to the naked eye his hurt factor isn't any where near that of Gaff.
    I'm sure Brayshaw would agree too.
    Lachie covers enormous ground and provides a valuable link role. Of all the problems in our team right now I don't think Lachie would be one of them. Clearly the coaching staff and his teammates rate him highly.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers