Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the leash: Dog looking 'a little angrier', set to attack 2019

Link

A PREMIERSHIP forward after 19 games, Western Bulldogs star Toby McLean will return to attack this season as the Dogs search for greater avenues to goal.

A breakout midfielder last season, the 23-year-old is set to be deployed in the forward 50 as Luke Beveridge prepares for deeper options in the centre square.

The move comes as Tom Liberatore returns from injury, Josh Dunkley takes on greater responsibility and No.6 draft pick Bailey Smith emerges as a midfield talent.

"I think it will be (life as a forward), especially for the first half of the year," McLean told AFL.com.au at the Dogs' season launch.

"With 'Libba' (Liberatore) coming back, he's huge and his influence in the midfield is massive for us, so I think I will see a bit more time forward.

"It's good to try new things, I had a lot of mid time last year and it's good to change it up."

Rather than seeing the switch as a demotion, McLean views it as a valuable addition to a side ranked No.15 in the competition in 2018 for total scores.

"Everything's based on your pressure and the defensive side of things," McLean said.

"For me it's all about that and keeping the ball in the forward line for us boys and help us score easier.

"As one of the smaller boys I've got to get to the drop of the ball for Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache.

"That seems such a long time ago now (2016 Grand Final). I was only a skinny boy back then and hopefully you can tell I've put on a bit of weight."

Now 79kg and sporting a beard that he hasn't shaved since last year's best and fairest, McLean said he'll continue to stick with it to "just make me look a little angrier."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Off the leash: Dog looking 'a little angrier', set to attack 2019

It's a hairy collar for better protection against the head highs. Will need a bit of product to get fullness like the Trengove variety.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually thinking last year why we had taken Toby out of the forward line and turned him into a midfielder. And the same for Dahlhaus for that matter. They were both handy forwards and were also very good at applying forward pressure before they were given a lot more midfield time. I put it down to the natural progression for their type of player and a bit of Bevo wanting them to play in multiple positions. But in saying that, they both played some good football in the middle too.

However the fact is we are and especially were last year, actually pretty desperate for other ways to score since Stringer moving on, Dickson being injured so much and probably Picken being unavailable also. And it was during that time Dahl and McLean had moved into the midfield more than playing forward.

Obviously Dahlhaus is gone now, but this is a really good move for us I think putting McLean predominately forward again. I like it.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

4. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I was actually thinking last year why we had taken Toby out of the forward line and turned him into a midfielder. And the same for Dahlhaus for that matter. They were both handy forwards and were also very good at applying forward pressure before they were given a lot more midfield time. I put it down to the natural progression for their type of player and a bit of Bevo wanting them to play in multiple positions. But in saying that, they both played some good football in the middle too.

However the fact is we are and especially were last year, actually pretty desperate for other ways to score since Stringer moving on, Dickson being injured so much and probably Picken being unavailable also. And it was during that time Dahl and McLean had moved into the midfield more than playing forward.

Obviously Dahlhaus is gone now, but this is a really good move for us I think putting McLean predominately forward again. I like it.
    Make yourself the forward we need you to be Toby. We need you!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "As one of the smaller boys I've got to get to the drop of the ball for Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache.
    Looks like McLean has let the cat out of the bag with our tall forwards.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Looks like McLean has let the cat out of the bag with our tall forwards.
    That was prior to Moz going down with the ACL.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Watch Tom's back there Toby.

10. Likes josie liked this post