Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs have Faith in Schache

Emerging key forward Josh Schache has spent just three years in the AFL system, but senior coach Luke Beveridge has no doubt he has the attributes to succeed at the top level.

The 21-year-old joined the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2017, following two years with the Brisbane Lions.

The former number two draft pick showed promising signs in his first year in red, white and blue, playing the final 13 matches of the season and kicking 17 goals.

“He’s got good craft, he’s got a good engine and he’s really developing his contested stuff – we’re pleased with that,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast.

“We’ve tested him recently, just challenged him on a couple of areas and where we want him to run, how we need him to provide a contest in different areas.

“He’s really come to the party there.
    “He’s a determined young man, and I really believe he’s got a bright future.”

Schache looms as a key player in the Dogs’ developing forward line without the injured Tom Boyd, alongside fellow young gun Aaron Naughton.

Star midfielder Lachie Hunter thinks he’s ready to have an impact in 2019.
    “He’s had a really good pre-season,” Hunter told SEN’s KB and The Doc.

“He’s been injury-free, and I know he’s put on a fair bit of muscle. He played pretty well last week (against St Kilda) and hopefully gets his chance.

“I’m hoping he can take it with two hands and take that big leap forward, because we do need someone down there (to do that).”

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs have Faith in Schache

I hate to compare the pair, but had Bevo ever come out as strongly with Boyd?

No player is perfect - especially a 200cm 21 year old - but I can't understand some of the negativity Josh attracted last year (and thsi year on a particular website).
    He has the footskills and the tank and generally runs to the right areas (although it's always going to be a work in progress for any 21 year old KPF). I'm pleasantly surprised at his output last year expecting him to take more time to add value to the side and was surprised he wasn't playing in JLT 1 a couple of weeks back.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Kid is a Nick Riewoldt type who can kick. Exciting times. Hoping he plays as a roaming forward as opposed to a predominately deep forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like him and what he brings, but we are 18 month to 2 years away from seeing him dominate games regularly. If he can nail down a key forward spot, kick 20 to 25 goals that would be a pretty good year for him.

Post Thanks / Like

We've talked about him a fair bit here about his prospects for the season and I'm genuinely excited about his future with us.

He's going to have some ups and downs such are the challenges of drafting most key forwards but long term we've done well to acquire a player like him. His athleticism and kicking skills are a bonus
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I hate to compare the pair, but had Bevo ever come out as strongly with Boyd?

No player is perfect - especially a 200cm 21 year old - but I can't understand some of the negativity Josh attracted last year (and thsi year on a particular website).
    He has the footskills and the tank and generally runs to the right areas (although it's always going to be a work in progress for any 21 year old KPF). I'm pleasantly surprised at his output last year expecting him to take more time to add value to the side and was surprised he wasn't playing in JLT 1 a couple of weeks back.
    Richmond created a lot of the rumors about him, as they wanted him cheap.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Richmond created a lot of the rumors about him, as they wanted him cheap.
    We've all done well, I'm happy enough with our end with the belief I have in the kid. Richmond fell on their bloody feet. But this is the 2017-2018 movement if you believe Richmond went cold on Josh after a wink and nod from Lynch's manager and that's why he's with us.

1. Richmond - Lynch as a FA (worth a top 5 pick and lots more)
    2. Dogs - Schache for two mid range picks (25 & 40) (drafted at pick 2)
    3. GCS - Pick 3 compo (if Rankine goes home then maybe they fall)
    4. Lions - Two mid range picks, helped to flip into pick 15 to draft Zak Bailey

All netted first round, top 15 pick talents.

I think we are already safely in second spot. If Josh gets to the level most of us think he can, hopefully we can try to nudge into first spot by end of career. I don't mind that above spread, all the list managers made it work in the end. Although it highlights that Vic clubs look to be poaching Qld KPFs while Qld clubs recruit some more players to poach in two years time.

As to Josh, he was playing hit up forward, often on the best defender, to some guys who couldn't kick the ball near him on the full for him to effect a mark and impact more. I think any tough judges need to judge him if and when he starts getting good ball use. Three things we know already, he runs hard, is neat in traffic up the ground by hand and foot and is a very good set shot. More experience helps. Another pre season for strength and aerobic capacity helps. Playing more to gel with senior team mates helps (ie leading patterns to ball carriers and forward craft with other forwards). Being tested and responding well helps. The only thing is I wish Roberts wasn't our most experienced KPD for the year, and Josh wasn't getting the number one defender for the year. I hope there's not too much pressure and he can elevate his game on the expectation though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still managed a goal a game. That's alright for a young tall, in a not so great team.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We've talked about him a fair bit here about his prospects for the season and I'm genuinely excited about his future with us.

He's going to have some ups and downs such are the challenges of drafting most key forwards but long term we've done well to acquire a player like him. His athleticism and kicking skills are a bonus
    Schache will continue to improve as will Gowers if Naughton stays forward who is class. Schache leads well and with Naughton’s aerial skills, they do complement each other. All of a sudden with the recruitment of Lloyd and Libba’s return not forgetting another ace in Bont we begin to have some potency in attack. Playing Hawthorn on the G will be a good test as to how far we have come in a forward line that had looked very ordinary in the past two seasons.

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was good on Saturday. Provided a contest, brought the ball to ground and was himself good at ground level. He will continue to improve, but he is getting closer to that break out game where the starts to believe that he belongs

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind if he only occasionally has games like Sunday but I want him to keep up the aggression and workrate that he's shown in the two games so far. You'll always have nearly games but if you are making defenders aware of everything you do then that's extremely valuable.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache is turning out to be a good Forward/second ruck. Two of his goals were scored when he was in the ruck.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Schache is turning out to be a good Forward/second ruck. Two of his goals were scored when he was in the ruck.
    I read that he played his junior days as a ruck before he got to the under 18's.

Post Thanks / Like

He is clearly playing with an aggression he didn't have last year. He's 200cm, 21 years old and can kick straight.

Grabbing a pick 2 with two years in the system for a 2nd and 3rd rounder may well be considered one of the great heists of modern trading as his career progresses.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes Testekill, Ghost Dog, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He is clearly playing with an aggression he didn't have last year. He's 200cm, 21 years old and can kick straight.

Grabbing a pick 2 with two years in the system for a 2nd and 3rd rounder may well be considered one of the great heists of modern trading as his career progresses.
    Big upgrade on Stringer and throw in Richards with those picks.