Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckling pushing out of his comfort zone

Link

Experienced Bulldog Matt Suckling is preparing to play a variety of roles in 2019.

The 30-year-old, who has played the majority of his 152 AFL games in defence, got a taste of a few different roles in the JLT Community Series.

He’s confident that he can have an impact wherever coach Luke Beveridge needs him.

“It was interesting in the JLT, I played a little bit down back, a little bit up forward, and a little bit of defensive forward stuff – a real mix,” Suckling said.

“I think going into the season, that’s something that Bevo likes, players with versatility, and it’s something I’ve been trying to grow into my game.

“I’ve obviously played a lot of footy down back, and that’s probably where I’m most comfortable, but however the team looks each week, I’m happy to play anywhere.”

Little has separated the Dogs and Sydney Swans in recent years, with seven points or less being the difference in three of the clubs’ past seven clashes.

Suckling is confident the team comes into the season as well-prepared as possible, after a tough 2018.

“We had 10 or so list changes last year, and the group feels really refreshed and invigorated,” he said.

“Training’s been amazing this year, and just the whole vibe within the changeroom’s been fantastic.

“Obviously JLT we didn’t get the results we wanted, but it’s a real positive mindset going into this week and I think we can play well.

“We’re really confident in the work we’ve done over the whole summer, and it’s going to put us in good stead for the season. That’s what we’ll be banking on.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suckling pushing out of his comfort zone

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Link

Experienced Bulldog Matt Suckling is preparing to play a variety of roles in 2019.

The 30-year-old, who has played the majority of his 152 AFL games in defence, got a taste of a few different roles in the JLT Community Series.

He’s confident that he can have an impact wherever coach Luke Beveridge needs him.

“It was interesting in the JLT, I played a little bit down back, a little bit up forward, and a little bit of defensive forward stuff – a real mix,” Suckling said.

“I think going into the season, that’s something that Bevo likes, players with versatility, and it’s something I’ve been trying to grow into my game.

“I’ve obviously played a lot of footy down back, and that’s probably where I’m most comfortable, but however the team looks each week, I’m happy to play anywhere.”

Little has separated the Dogs and Sydney Swans in recent years, with seven points or less being the difference in three of the clubs’ past seven clashes.

Suckling is confident the team comes into the season as well-prepared as possible, after a tough 2018.

“We had 10 or so list changes last year, and the group feels really refreshed and invigorated,” he said.

“Training’s been amazing this year, and just the whole vibe within the changeroom’s been fantastic.

“Obviously JLT we didn’t get the results we wanted, but it’s a real positive mindset going into this week and I think we can play well.

“We’re really confident in the work we’ve done over the whole summer, and it’s going to put us in good stead for the season. That’s what we’ll be banking on.”
    Arghhhhh.

Although in Suckers' case it seems a more logical string to his particular bow.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Defence or wing for mine. Just how many players are we shoehorning into HFFers?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Defence or wing for mine. Just how many players are we shoehorning into HFFers?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes chef, BornInDroopSt'54, WBFC4FFC liked this post