Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 1, 2019 - Western Bulldogs V Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium, Docklands

Is anyone else waiting for mjp to swagger in and tell us ‘I told you so’?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 1, 2019 - Western Bulldogs V Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium, Docklands

I think that 6-6-6 is of greater benefit to us than the kick-in rule. Suckers is a special player but the distance on his kick-ins is not radically different to what we were getting before, whereas the lack of congestion up forward makes our quick entries from centre clearances (where I think we are one of the strongest teams) of far greater quality.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It hasn't quite won me over yet and I'm not sure we didn't have that advantage anyway even with the kick to themselves option but I'll give it a bit more time.

Agreed we are well placed to take advantage of it with Suckling, Daniel, JJ and Williams all capable of exploiting this change.

I can recall when teams didn't have to wait for the goal umpire to finish waving the flag with the kick ins and Rocket maximised our advantage with that change. From memory we scored the most coast-to-coast goals that year until teams worked out ways around it.
    What happens if the player kicking the ball in, plays on, bounces a few times, kicks it long towards the boundary line and the ball goes out without another player touching it? Is it still a free kick to the opposition?

I also noticed several times a kick in was taken, there was a second ball on the ground? Should the play be stopped?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally caught the game...…..much has been said and I won't repeat it.

2.5 Quarters - my view is there isn't a side that plays like us when we are playing well. Our mix of pressure, quick hands, quick thinking masks our deficiencies, and it's our deficiencies our opponents set up for so they can score against us when we mess it up. When we play well we starve our opponents, we were full of energy in the first half.

1.5 Quarters - we fed our opponents because of fatigue. It was clear to see watching the replay we sat off just a touch and our intensity dropped and Sydney jumped at us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    1.5 Quarters - we fed our opponents because of fatigue. It was clear to see watching the replay we sat off just a touch and our intensity dropped and Sydney jumped at us.
    Interesting to hear Mitch Wallis on SEN this morning, talking about how the lack of runners made it more difficult to get the message to the group to slow the game down.
    I am concerned that the way we played against the Swans may not be sustainable and we have to find ways to slow the game down for a few minutes here and there.
    We also had 68 inside 50s which is an insane number (last year we averaged 51) so we still need to find ways to be a bit more efficient in attack as most top teams average around 60.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting to hear Mitch Wallis on SEN this morning, talking about how the lack of runners made it more difficult to get the message to the group to slow the game down.
    I am concerned that the way we played against the Swans may not be sustainable and we have to find ways to slow the game down for a few minutes here and there.
    We also had 68 inside 50s which is an insane number (last year we averaged 51) so we still need to find ways to be a bit more efficient in attack as most top teams average around 60.
    The 68 inside 50s can be largely attributed to a dominant midfield where Bont Libba Macrae Wallis and Hunter provided plenty of ball supply. With Naughton and Lloyd proving excellent additions to our forward line all of a sudden we are looking capable of winning a lot more games. The new 6-6-6 rule highlights the importance of having a winning midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The 68 inside 50s can be largely attributed to a dominant midfield where Bont Libba Macrae Wallis and Hunter provided plenty of ball supply. With Naughton and Lloyd proving excellent additions to our forward line all of a sudden we are looking capable of winning a lot more games. The new 6-6-6 rule highlights the importance of having a winning midfield.
    It was posted elsewhere that Libba had 8 inside 50s himself which is a pretty good day for him. I expect we improve from last year, will be interesting to see where we settle in a few weeks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers