Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Moment.

Post Thanks / Like

The Moment.

I'd like to debut a thread, and if folks like it, we can do it each week.
    Its about defining a moment. Whether it's the moment that turned the game (either good or bad), or a moment of courage, a decisive moment.

There were heaps tonight, it just depends on where you want to slice it.
    For me when I thought we'd thrown almost 3 qtrs of good football down the drain, that break from Mclean to feed Bont on the run... that was it. The 2 goals we got post that, were on the back of the pressure release Bont's goal created.
    Prior to that moment, guys who for 2 and a half quarters had played with confidence, without the little man on the shoulder, had turned into balls of panic, and self-doubt.
    That one passage of play, quelled all internal demons, and reminded & refocused the 18 on the field that they HAD this. That play was a loud, "HEY, we had these suckers on a string. GET BACK TO WHAT GOT US HERE. DO NOT WILT"

What was your MOMENT? There were lots to consider.

2. Likes merantau, Dancin' Douggy, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment.

I like examples in moments:

A) The Wallis & Bonts double tackle on Jones to get a free and shot at goal. Great example to follow.

B) Schache looked stuffed (most ruck minutes yet?) and narrowly dropped a mark near the ground with an opponent in his back. He could've let his shit slip after that in the last, but did some nice things including a great collect off a bouncing ball, which if he missed wouldve allowed Sydney to propel to a win. He grabbed it, got it off to a team mate and set up an entry. Just a good example of a player being strong mentally and making the moment count when it was their turn to execute in a less than goal game at the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I like examples in moments:

A) The Wallis & Bonts double tackle on Jones to get a free and shot at goal. Great example to follow.

B) Schache looked stuffed (most ruck minutes yet?) and narrowly dropped a mark near the ground with an opponent in his back. He could've let his shit slip after that in the last, but did some nice things including a great collect off a bouncing ball, which if he missed wouldve allowed Sydney to propel to a win. He grabbed it, got it off to a team mate and set up an entry. Just a good example of a player being strong mentally and making the moment count when it was their turn to execute in a less than goal game at the time.
    I love that second one particularly! I am critical of Josh's game in total. But as you rightly pointed out, that moment... NOPE he nailed his lines...

Post Thanks / Like

Schache had a hand in the sealer as well. Completed hard with multiple efforts, before someone shoveling the ball into Sam Lloyd's hands.

But it's hard to go past that Bontempelli goal. I don't usually leap to my feet when I watch a game at home but I did for that goal, complete with the sunnies on my head being thrown across the room.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, N/A, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Swans attacking, 6 to 7 points down, all the momentum, Reid looking dangerous. Naughton goes back and effects a few spoils, steadies the ship and we finally attack and get the ball of of our back 50. This actually lead to the Mclean to Bont ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, josie, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I love that second one particularly! I am critical of Josh's game in total. But as you rightly pointed out, that moment... NOPE he nailed his lines...
    This is the beauty of your thread. The line between losing and winning can be executing in one moment, irrespective of the game they've had. Think the Wallis on the full last year vs North. Great game, poor moment. Tonight Josh had an average/ok game, great moment. That's what we have to want or expect, in close games in the final minutes, players take their moment.

P.S. I actually thought he'd not be able to cleanly grab it looking at the bounce, being a big man and his fatigue, and his opponent would drive it back. It doesn't huge if you haven't seen it, but I thought it was. Shows the kind of touch and finesse in his ball handling.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Schache had a hand in the sealer as well. Completed hard with multiple efforts, before someone shoveling the ball into Sam Lloyd's hands.

But it's hard to go past that Bontempelli goal. I don't usually leap to my feet when I watch a game at home but I did for that goal, complete with the sunnies on my head being thrown across the room.
    I rate Schache. He'll be a good player for us.

I'll wind the Bont goal back a bit and say the kick from McLean was it. Centimetre perfect.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This is the beauty of your thread. The line between losing and winning can be executing in one moment, irrespective of the game they've had. Think the Wallis on the full last year vs North. Great game, poor moment. Tonight Josh had an average/ok game, great moment. That's what we have to want or expect, in close games in the final minutes, players take their moment.

P.S. I actually thought he'd not be able to cleanly grab it looking at the bounce, being a big man and his fatigue, and his opponent would drive it back. It doesn't huge if you haven't seen it, but I thought it was. Shows the kind of touch and finesse in his ball handling.
    100%. I was dirty on Schache, especially as Sydney pushed.. but that moment you described.. turned me.. I was immediately..... Josh Schache, in that moment, that ONE play, justified why you deserve to be in the 22. And such a tiny, moment.. He fluffs that however, and it's probably a very sombre mood here.,

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I rate Schache. He'll be a good player for us.

I'll wind the Bont goal back a bit and say the kick from McLean was it. Centimetre perfect.
    Mclean's kick was sublime.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is not a good moment...rather 3 moments in the last where Bailey Smith got beaten and/or made the wrong decision. The first contest was in front of me near the interchange benches, a follow up contest and then another (I'll have to watch the replay to be more descriptive...). Each time he did not win, he made a mistake, he was out worked or out-thought. It was perfect.

This man has seen first hand how a seasoned team does when the game enters crunch time. His body-language showed a young player who hated it, realised it....and HATED IT!

We win. There's no skinned knees...but a young player who is crucial to driving us forward learned some lessons.

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, KT31, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Mine is not a good moment...rather 3 moments in the last where Bailey Smith got beaten and/or made the wrong decision. The first contest was in front of me near the interchange benches, a follow up contest and then another (I'll have to watch the replay to be more descriptive...). Each time he did not win, he made a mistake, he was out worked or out-thought. It was perfect.

This man has seen first hand how a seasoned team does when the game enters crunch time. His body-language showed a young player who hated it, realised it....and HATED IT!

We win. There's no skinned knees...but a young player who is crucial to driving us forward learned some lessons.
    It's funny, or not.. it's weird..I felt similar
    Smith had a poor game.. and yet for some reason, I came away thinking he's gonna be just fine. This was a lesson put in the bank....
    I don't know why? I've seen Georgiadies kick 6 on debut..I did not think at the time 'oh boy we've found a 200 gamer here. Yet tonight.. despite his poor game, I feel even more confident that 'the kid is alright'.

18. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    It's funny, or not.. it's weird..I felt similar
    Smith had a poor game.. and yet for some reason, I came away thinking he's gonna be just fine. This was a lesson put in the bank....
    I don't know why? I've seen Georgiadies kick 6 on debut..I did not think at the time 'oh boy we've found a 200 gamer here. Yet tonight.. despite his poor game, I feel even more confident that 'the kid is alright'.
    Agreed.

He's a kid who had strung a couple of halves together over pre-season. He's going to be fine as he builds fitness and confidence (wayyyy better than 'fine' actually). These are the perfect development moments for a player like him, with his work ethic and his desire/ I can't wait till he's a third year player and we've still got prime Bont, Jacko, Dunks, McLean...

20. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McLean's kick to the Bont was sublime. Only the recipient could've done it better.

For mine the last 5 mins of the first quarter restored some trust in the team that I had found whittled away in 2018. Repeat SOG in red time are invaluable.

22. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    McLean's kick to the Bont was sublime. Only the recipient could've done it better.

For mine the last 5 mins of the first quarter restored some trust in the team that I had found whittled away in 2018. Repeat SOG in red time are invaluable.
    It was a wonderful kick, but I also loved that Bont was involved in the passage that led to McLean having the ball in the first place. He sprinted to the forward line. He marked cleanly a ball hurtling at him at speed. He kept his feet, backed his own talent. It was more difficult than you might think ... but he is The Bont....
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

24. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The moment for me was watching the replay and late in second q the camera focuses on our interchange and Naughton is snarling at other players to come off and let him on.