Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Billy Gowers (BG) You both rule AND suck

Gowers best game of the year so far (not really saying much tough) and he was finally fun again, after too many weeks of just being plain frustrating.

Still had many very annoying aspects of his game on display (set shot kicking, his need to gravitate to a position behind his man, the obvious push in the back), but his positives were also good and he did a good job on Grimes who was Richmonds only competent defender.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Bit of press for Gowers throwing his head back to strike Grimes who seemed to have him in a chicken wing, off the ball, on his back for an extended period of time. Why the umpire didn't pay a free and intervene I don't know. Ran over, looked, ran away.
    Am I taking crazy pills? Am I the only one that saw Gowers had Grimes' arm and was holding it in? Gowers could have let him go any time.

That was a nothing incident and nothing should come of it for either player.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gowers is such a polarising figure. One week soon he'll kick a bag, then revert back to his 10 touch and joe the goose goal efforts. What I did like though was he attacked and flew at the ball a few times and was a presence. It won't click every week, but if your opponent and other defenders know you're there and are going to make them earn it, it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Am I taking crazy pills? Am I the only one that saw Gowers had Grimes' arm and was holding it in? Gowers could have let him go any time.

Gowers was definitely holding Grimes and trying to milk something. I'm a big fan of Billy he brings something to every game, I'm not against vanilla types but love the engimatic nature of Gowers. I've said it before on here also, if you get a chance to talk to him do it. He's a genuine guy and as enthusiastic to talk to fans as he is to bleed for the red white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Gowers is enthusiastic and gives a physical presence forward which I like, but a few more non-existent second efforts like the one last night won't do him any favours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Gowers is enthusiastic and gives a physical presence forward which I like, but a few more non-existent second efforts like the one last night won't do him any favours.
    Agree. He has “Stringer” written all over him in the fact he doesn’t like the second efforts, give away stupid free kicks to the detriment of the team. I guess he has that unpredictable approach which would tear the hair out of coaches heads. I’d love to see him get more committed to his craft and become that ideal foil for the likes of Naughton and Schache etc.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Agree. He has “Stringer” written all over him in the fact he doesn’t like the second efforts, give away stupid free kicks to the detriment of the team. I guess he has that unpredictable approach which would tear the hair out of coaches heads. I’d love to see him get more committed to his craft and become that ideal foil for the likes of Naughton and Schache etc.
    He was a great decoy for Naughton last night , he got in the oppositions ears he put them off and they were way to scared to leave him alone in case he took over from Naughton.
    Yes he does some silly things but he isn’t one to be taken lightly.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have to stick with Gowers as he does hit the scoreboard enough. We just need to accept that he will both frustrate and excite us from time to time.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He was a great decoy for Naughton last night , he got in the oppositions ears he put them off and they were way to scared to leave him alone in case he took over from Naughton.
    Yes he does some silly things but he isn’t one to be taken lightly.
    What Naughton did last night had absolutely nothing to do with Gowers.

I've been saying this every week for 18 months but he's a bad footballer and we will be better when he isn't playing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    What Naughton did last night had absolutely nothing to do with Gowers.

I've been saying this every week for 18 months but he's a bad footballer and we will be better when he isn't playing.
    Haha, weird that anyone would want to dilute Naughton’s performance. You don’t take 9 contested marks because of a decoy.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Haha, weird that anyone would want to dilute Naughton’s performance. You don’t take 9 contested marks because of a decoy.
    No. But Beveridge even acknowledged in the presser that Gowers taking their best defender in Grimes help the team structure. It's not denying Naughton's efforts by also acknowledging the other variables in our forward line that helped him deliver.
    Gowers has a role to play, and that doesn't mean he gets a free ride. He has obvious flaws to his game that he needs to improve. But for me there is something about him that adds to our side. His team mates clearly love him out on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    No. But Beveridge even acknowledged in the presser that Gowers taking their best defender in Grimes help the team structure. It's not denying Naughton's efforts by also acknowledging the other variables in our forward line that helped him deliver.
    Gowers has a role to play, and that doesn't mean he gets a free ride. He has obvious flaws to his game that he needs to improve. But for me there is something about him that adds to our side. His team mates clearly love him out on the field.
    Given Naughton’s dominance, why would Hardwick waste their best defender on Gowers? Grimes just wasn’t big enough to be an option for Naughton, hence why Balta got the gig so Grimes had to go to someone.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Given Naughton’s dominance, why would Hardwick waste their best defender on Gowers? Grimes just wasn’t big enough to be an option for Naughton, hence why Balta got the gig so Grimes had to go to someone.
    I don't know. Maybe Bevo should send him a thank you card.

Post Thanks / Like

That's an accurate read of it. The incident went for a fair stretch, Gowers at the back end was trying to milk a free, got frustrated and lashed out.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope not just you. I said the same thing in another thread.