Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Billy Gowers (BG) You both rule AND suck

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He was delisted by Carlton after playing as a defender.
    I agree with the thrust of what you're saying but is this really a good litmus test?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He is the replacement to Stringer and if you compare the two they are very similar in doing the amazing but we got the better deal as Billy won’t die not trying, he is fit,he wants to be successful and is fully committed, I think if we looked at stats since the Stringer move , Gowers would be ahead in everything.
    Not a bad deal when Billy came as cheap as chips.
    I don’t regret the clubs decision at all.
    More to spend in the cap and a better consistent player.
    The stats are pretty tight last year, but Stringer shades Gowers across the board. Being in a better side definitely helped Jake.

From the same number of games, Stringer:
    -Had 37 more touches
    -Kicked 30 goals to Gowers' 26
    -Laid 13 more tackles
    -Had 6 more goal assists
    -Gave away 10 less free kicks and won 5 more than Billy
    -They took the same number of marks inside fifty, but Stringer was better around the footy, winning 25 more clearances.

Stringer was obviously in the better side and has played nearly 100 more games at AFL level. It'll be very interesting watching their careers progress – the stats are remarkably similar.

Post Thanks / Like

If Billy kicks two goals a week, I am sure we will all be more than happy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He was delisted by Carlton after playing as a defender.
    We lack goal sense as a team, anyone with real goal sense needs to be played forward.

We're also stacked for medium defenders.
    For sure and yes we have an abundance of defenders.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of love for Billy this week.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree comrade. Thought he was really good. His kicking for goal has improved as well. I like the unpredictability of Billy - this translates to the opposition not knowing what to expect from him. He is very hard to match up against as he can lead as well as take pack marks. He really does provide a bit of X-factor that every team needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lots of love for Billy this week.
    Definitely we got Awesome Billy on the weekend.
    His goal-kicking in particular looked solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Agree comrade. Thought he was really good. His kicking for goal has improved as well. I like the unpredictability of Billy - this translates to the opposition not knowing what to expect from him. He is very hard to match up against as he can lead as well as take pack marks. He really does provide a bit of X-factor that every team needs.
    He plays with confidence which is extremely important for a forward and especially for one with a lot of X-factor since they need to back themselves to get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

We need Billy to apply more pressure in the forward line. He had zero tackles on the weekend, compared with Naughton's 4 and Mclean's and Dickson 4 each.

His kicking was better this week and hopefully he continues it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's still pretty raw and evidently learning how to be useful when he doesn't have the pill.

He's got a little of that Clay Smith / Jack Redpath knack for tackling to hurt so if he can become another effective hunter inside the forward arc we'll be much better for it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a BG fan as long as he converts his opportunities or makes opps for others to convert - preferably BOTH. If not I will go off him pretty quickly. A forward's job is to kick goals, not burn his team mates. That being said BG does provide physical presence which is always handy in a forward line mix.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

That last quarter is one of my favourites, ever. I’ve watched it a few times, watching it again. Gowers got in the head of Cicily big time. Time and time again Gowers was giving a 100% arm swing as if to punch/round arm Cicily in the guts, but would pull back and not make contact. And getting in his face and chirping at him... yada, yada, yada... Cicily gives a round arm free to Schache, and chirps the umpire giving Gowers a goal.

I hope Cicily is charging Gowers rent, because Gowers lives in his head.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now career at:

22 Games
    31 Goals
    23 Behinds

10 Goals Assists
    59 Inside 50's

Av. 12.5 touches, 4 marks, 2 tackles
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you compare him with Stringer , which he is pretty much the replacement , we get a bloke who is probably paid 300,000 a year less and I believe has more heart and tank than Stringer will get to. We are the winner.
    I wonder if the media would admit that Essendon didn’t win the deal, it wasn’t the greatest get of all time as they raved on about.
    I know who I would take with the choice . Our club made a great decision all round.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    When you compare him with Stringer , which he is pretty much the replacement , we get a bloke who is probably paid 300,000 a year less and I believe has more heart and tank than Stringer will get to. We are the winner.
    I wonder if the media would admit that Essendon didn’t win the deal, it wasn’t the greatest get of all time as they raved on about.
    I know who I would take with the choice . Our club made a great decision all round.
    While it didn't always come off I thought Stringer looked to be one of the few with the will or capacity to try and change the game against the Saints last week. He won't be the fantastic mid they sold him as at the time but he doesn't look like he's phoning it in either.