Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 Mid Season Draft

I think we are likely to be active in the mid season draft this year. Details on how it works are here

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-...w-will-it-work

As it stands we have long term injury concerns with Morris, Picken and uncertainty over the futures of Webb and Boyd. So it's possible/likely we may take a player or two.

It will make VFL watching a bit more interesting.
    Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Mid Season Draft

FWIW, I talked to Lukas Webb yesterday and he's likely to be back in just 2 weeks
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

4. Thanks bornadog, Go_Dogs, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I think we are likely to be active in the mid season draft this year. Details on how it works are here

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-...w-will-it-work

As it stands we have long term injury concerns with Morris, Picken and uncertainty over the futures of Webb and Boyd. So it's possible/likely we may take a player or two.

It will make VFL watching a bit more interesting.
    I guess you were right.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

What type of player should we be looking at?
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The mid season draft is a "free hit" in many respects. In theory anyone you draft is probably going to be insurance so you may well pick up a guy who is performing well in a lower league regardless of position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    The mid season draft is a "free hit" in many respects. In theory anyone you draft is probably going to be insurance so you may well pick up a guy who is performing well in a lower league regardless of position.
    It is a chance to recruit for needs. Perhaps a mature aged ruckman as insurance, considering Boyd is still miles off.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It is a chance to recruit for needs. Perhaps a mature aged ruckman as insurance, considering Boyd is still miles off.
    Atm we have two rucks in the reserves. We don't bat deep there but it certainly doesn't feel like we are desperate for another.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I would like another key back or forward for insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it will come down to injuries between now and the draft. If we end up thin in a particular area we draft a reinforcement. If we are happy with our depth I don't think we will draft someone just for the hell of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Left field consideration - we consider our depth as ok and can't find any ready to go talent, so we sign a kid who missed out on being drafted last year like Hanrahan who we are keeping an eye on.

Given we took two 19 year olds last year (Vandermeer and Lachie Young) we're effectively getting a 6 month jump on the draft and avoiding using a pick.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of trivia - can anybody name the last players (2) that we drafted in a mid-season draft (1993), without google?

I've never heard of one of them so will be surprised if anyone gets him, however the other is reasonably well known.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    A bit of trivia - can anybody name the last players (2) that we drafted in a mid-season draft (1993), without google?

I've never heard of one of them so will be surprised if anyone gets him, however the other is reasonably well known.
    Thorpey was one (I only know this because of a discussion a with a mate a month or so back) but I have no idea who the other is.
    If my mate is correct he could also be the only player ever taken in two mid season drafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Ford?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure in the front half is what we need ideally. Lacking some pace at the moment in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Thorpey was one (I only know this because of a discussion a with a mate a month or so back) but I have no idea who the other is.
    If my mate is correct he could also be the only player ever taken in two mid season drafts.
    Yep Alan Thorpe. First drafted by Fitzroy in the 1991 mid-season draft, then Sydney in the 1992 pre-season draft, then us in the 1993 mid-season draft, then Carlton in the 1995 pre-season draft!

The other was Russell Evans from Coburg. I've never heard of him and he never played a senior game.