Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  50
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Mid Season Draft

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But we have spots free - we only have four rookies, could have gone to 5
    Nope. We had 40 primary list players + 4 rookies - that's the limit. You can alternatively have 39 + 5 or 38 + 6. But the overall limit is 44. Category B and international rookies are in addition to the 44 player limit.

It's been discussed numerous times on here but we could have kept Buku as a category B rookie and taken an additional category A rookie (eg Dunkley). To my knowledge nobody has figured out why we did this. If anyone ever gets a chance to chat to Sam Power please ask him!

Post Thanks / Like

We clearly didn't rate him better than the other guys we drafted last year or the ones we had on the list.
    Hindsight gets us to the point where we are now speculating that we would draft him if he was available at our pick.

I still think we are a bit passive with our list management but we can't really complain given we had a good look at him and went in another direction
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone even raise Dunkley's name in our draft calculations? I get feeling upset that we were too pig-headed to draft a guy like Sydney Stack, but feeling like we missed Dunkley by elevating Buku seems an unfair criticism given he wasn't on the radar as an SPS.

Now what IS a fair criticism is us going out of our way yet again to hype a player and put their availability on the radar of other better-positioned clubs.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We clearly didn't rate him better than the other guys we drafted last year or the ones we had on the list.
    Hindsight gets us to the point where we are now speculating that we would draft him if he was available at our pick.

I still think we are a bit passive with our list management but we can't really complain given we had a good look at him and went in another direction
    Exactly. 18 clubs overlooked him in the ND draft, rookie draft plus overlooking him with an SSP selection. Plus Sydney chose not to invoke father/son to grab him mega cheap.

Hopefully we get a bit more colour in our latter drafting this year. Plus work out our strategy in the MSD. Do we think we can play finals and thus need a ready to go, or do we take a couple of kids we rate early? Or one if both?
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Did anyone even raise Dunkley's name in our draft calculations? I get feeling upset that we were too pig-headed to draft a guy like Sydney Stack, but feeling like we missed Dunkley by elevating Buku seems an unfair criticism given he wasn't on the radar as an SPS.

Now what IS a fair criticism is us going out of our way yet again to hype a player and put their availability on the radar of other better-positioned clubs.
    Dunkley was definitely mentioned on here pre-draft.

I'm not critical of us not drafting Dunkley, but I am critical of us not drafting someone, anyone in the spot we handed to Buku. Until I hear a reasonable explanation I will remain that way.

7. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Dunkley was definitely mentioned on here pre-draft.

I'm not critical of us not drafting Dunkley, but I am critical of us not drafting someone, anyone in the spot we handed to Buku. Until I hear a reasonable explanation I will remain that way.
    That's fair, I must have missed it or had Bailey Smith tunnel vision.

Another point to consider though - is the benefit and utility we've drawn from placing an academy product on the main list worth more than the free swing at the back end of the draft not doing it would've amounted to?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. We had 40 primary list players + 4 rookies - that's the limit. You can alternatively have 39 + 5 or 38 + 6. But the overall limit is 44. Category B and international rookies are in addition to the 44 player limit.
    Thanks for clearing that up, that is why I asked the question earlier about 6. I didn't know it eats into your overall total. I was under the impression we could have 6 over and above the primary list, but chose not to due to budget constraints.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the list of ex afl players who have nominationed
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05/...-season-draft/
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

I suggested he could be a rookie listed player but I don't understand why we are feeling attached to a player now that we weren't interested in enough when it counted last year. I suggest that as a club we are more than happy with the likes of Lachlan Young, Khamis, Sweet and Roarke Smith as rookies
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m hearing we are looking at Gardner , what’s the thoughts on Barlow ?
    I wouldn’t mind Barlow , experience for the rest of the year, can play up forward, strong body and can actually have a presence, im thinking along the lines takes Gowers spot.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Jake Riccardi one to watch as well - I expect if we miss out on Gardner then Riccardi is our man. Invited to medical screening shortly after Boyd retired.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mid-Season Rookie Draft: What your club needs, the whisper

WESTERN BULLDOGS
    What do they need?
    A key forward/ruck to replace Tom Boyd, a key defender to cover the move of Aaron Naughton forward and impending retirement of Dale Morris, plus a pressure small forward. Outside of mature-age recruit Ben Cavarra, the Dogs are lacking a tenacious forward to apply heat in the front half.

Who's available?
    The Dogs have shown a tendency to select VFL players with Cavarra (Williamstown) and Lachie Young (Frankston) joining former Footscray pair Billy Gowers and Will Hayes on the list last November. Key forward Ryan Gardner would be a like-for-like replacement for Boyd and Footscray teammate Reuben William could add defensive depth. Josh Dunkley's brother Kyle also debuted for Footscray with three goals a fortnight ago. Sam Lowson (Coburg) and Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder) are other small forward options.

Do they have a pick?
    Boyd's sudden retirement gives the Dogs a second pick after Liam Picken's early retirement in April.

The whisper: The Dogs have committed to taking at least one selection, with a call on the second to be made in the next 72 hours.

16. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whisper: The Dogs have committed to taking at least one selection, with a call on the second to be made in the next 72 hours.
    So we are still making up our mind?
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So we are still making up our mind?
    The article was from this morning so yes apparently.

I wouldn't be surprised if we only took 1 selection given we weren't keen to add an extra player before the season with the Buku situation.

19. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Jake Riccardi one to watch as well - I expect if we miss out on Gardner then Riccardi is our man. Invited to medical screening shortly after Boyd retired.
    He fits the bill being 194cm, agile/athletic and versatile. I remember thinking he was okay a couple of seasons back.
    I think he's been a good contributor for Werribee this year.

Nice piece of intel