link

Former Port Adelaide midfielder Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli can be better than both Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield.
Bontempelli lit up Marvel Stadium with a superb showing against the Swans in Round 1.

The silky-skilled midfielder had 29 disposals, seven tackles, six inside-50s and booted a goal in a best-afield performance.

Cornes said the 23-year-old, along with Carlton co-captain Patrick Cripps, would overtake Martin and Dangerfield by the end of the 2019 season.

“I think there’s two midfielders that could overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield as the best midfielders,” Cornes told the AFL Footy Show.

“By the end of this year, Marcus Bontempelli and Patrick Cripps will be the game’s best midfielders — by the end of this year.

“Dangerfield is gonna be great, they’re both gonna have great games — Martin and Dangerfield — it’s nothing against them.

“But Dangerfield’s gonna be 29 next month, Martin’s nearly 28.

“Marcus Bontempelli, you see him there in the matchwinning performance in Round 1, he’s 23 years of age, would you believe.”

There is no doubting Bontempelli is a sensational talent.

The smooth-moving Bulldog is one of the coolest, most composed midfielders in the game, while his height and power make him a genuine forward option when Luke Beveridge wants to flick that switch.

As for Cripps, the Carlton on-baller was All-Australian last year, averaging 17.3 contested possessions, 7.6 clearances and 29.6 disposals in 2018.

He picked up where he left off, with 32 disposals, 22 contested possessions and eight clearances against the Tigers in Round 1.

While fellow panellist Brendan Fevola queried Cornes’ high rating of Bontempelli, the former Port Adelaide midfielder held firm, citing the classy Bulldog’s elite kicking.

Bontempelli now has 105 games to his name — and at just 23, is arguably still a fair way off his prime.

That makes him a seriously scary prospect, especially when you consider the likes of Martin and Dangerfield both have close to double his AFL experience.

“I just think he’s the best kick … by the end of the year, I’m telling you, Marcus Bontempelli will overtake them,” Cornes said.