Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli will overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield

link

Former Port Adelaide midfielder Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli can be better than both Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield.
    Bontempelli lit up Marvel Stadium with a superb showing against the Swans in Round 1.

The silky-skilled midfielder had 29 disposals, seven tackles, six inside-50s and booted a goal in a best-afield performance.

Cornes said the 23-year-old, along with Carlton co-captain Patrick Cripps, would overtake Martin and Dangerfield by the end of the 2019 season.

“I think there’s two midfielders that could overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield as the best midfielders,” Cornes told the AFL Footy Show.

“By the end of this year, Marcus Bontempelli and Patrick Cripps will be the game’s best midfielders — by the end of this year.

“Dangerfield is gonna be great, they’re both gonna have great games — Martin and Dangerfield — it’s nothing against them.

“But Dangerfield’s gonna be 29 next month, Martin’s nearly 28.

“Marcus Bontempelli, you see him there in the matchwinning performance in Round 1, he’s 23 years of age, would you believe.”

There is no doubting Bontempelli is a sensational talent.

The smooth-moving Bulldog is one of the coolest, most composed midfielders in the game, while his height and power make him a genuine forward option when Luke Beveridge wants to flick that switch.

As for Cripps, the Carlton on-baller was All-Australian last year, averaging 17.3 contested possessions, 7.6 clearances and 29.6 disposals in 2018.

He picked up where he left off, with 32 disposals, 22 contested possessions and eight clearances against the Tigers in Round 1.

While fellow panellist Brendan Fevola queried Cornes’ high rating of Bontempelli, the former Port Adelaide midfielder held firm, citing the classy Bulldog’s elite kicking.

Bontempelli now has 105 games to his name — and at just 23, is arguably still a fair way off his prime.

That makes him a seriously scary prospect, especially when you consider the likes of Martin and Dangerfield both have close to double his AFL experience.

“I just think he’s the best kick … by the end of the year, I’m telling you, Marcus Bontempelli will overtake them,” Cornes said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli will overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield

Preaching to the converted.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli will overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield

Bont doesn't want to be either of these guys. He's a different kind of player.
    Dalrymple hit the jackpot by going for the longer reach of Bont.
    I Think Bont does a little less than these two but does it sublimely. He's so efficient with his movement.
    Less of a burst player than a precision weapon.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Testekill, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hes's already overtaken Dusty this year. Dusty was average in round 1 and had a stinker last night.

Now that throat-high fend-offs are out he's lost a major part of his arsenal and teams put a lot of work in how to tackle a player attempting to fend off now. He got caught by smaller players in round 1 now that tackling technique is being enforced.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Thanks Testekill thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fully agree Mofra. It absolutely baffles me that people like Fev dont rate Bont highly.
    He does more with 20 possessions than others do with 30.

Post Thanks / Like

He hit a pass to Gowers last week that travelled 55m and never went more than eight feet off the ground. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes craigsahibee, Topdog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

David King tweeting De Goey will be better than the lot.

De Goey maybe a good forward but won't overtake the Bont as a midfielder.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He hit a pass to Gowers last week that travelled 55m and never went more than eight feet off the ground. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
    I remember that clearly. We were looking at each other in the stand, it was an incredible kick.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I remember that clearly. We were looking at each other in the stand, it was an incredible kick.
    He does stuff like that every few weeks. He is incredible. One of the biggest problems has been that our forwards dont mark the damn ball or kick the goal after it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t trade Bont for any other player in the league but I might be shameless fanboy.

Is there anyone you’d swap him for?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont is supreme. He does things no one else can, moves like no other. If all you look at are the stats, you miss out on the artistry and deadly effectiveness.

16. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I wouldn’t trade Bont for any other player in the league but I might be shameless fanboy.

Is there anyone you’d swap him for?
    Given his age, no

For the 2019 season, maybe Gawn
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Given his age, no

For the 2019 season, maybe Gawn
    No way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Gilbee spec.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully he has a season injury free
    He was clearly restricted last season