Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli will overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Given his age, no

For the 2019 season, maybe Gawn
    I don't mind your thinking but if we took Bont out and replaced him with Gawn, would we be better or worse? I'd say worse.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kane Cornes says Marcus Bontempelli will overtake Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield

The player comparison I often hear is Cripps vs Bontempelli.

Most work colleagues lean towards Cripps but it's almost line ball
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Cripps was as good as Bont Carlton would win more games. That's the influence Bont has when fully fit and firing. Cripps can play a great individual game but there's only so much he can do to drag his team across the line. Bont has found ways to make us win in the past and could probably even find a way to do so at Carlton so his skill and matchwinning ability makes him the better player

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If Cripps was as good as Bont Carlton would win more games. That's the influence Bont has when fully fit and firing. Cripps can play a great individual game but there's only so much he can do to drag his team across the line. Bont has found ways to make us win in the past and could probably even find a way to do so at Carlton so his skill and matchwinning ability makes him the better player
    Yeah, Cripps stands out at Carlton because a) he is obviously a jet, b) he is ****ing massive, and c) he has been surrounded by garbage his entire career. Easy to catch the eye (and Brownlow votes).

Bont is a different beast all together. Less powerful but more versatile and intelligent. You'd be happy with either, but I'm happier with the Bont. Kelly is the other one who sits comfortably amongst these two.

You have to laugh at Essendon fans who once believed Merrett was on the same level.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, Cripps stands out at Carlton because a) he is obviously a jet, b) he is ****ing massive, and c) he has been surrounded by garbage his entire career. Easy to catch the eye (and Brownlow votes).

Bont is a different beast all together. Less powerful but more versatile and intelligent. You'd be happy with either, but I'm happier with the Bont. Kelly is the other one who sits comfortably amongst these two.

You have to laugh at Essendon fans who once believed Merrett was on the same level.
    What do you mean 'once believed'?
    Some still do!

Last week was a reminder of what he could do and a stark warning for what is to come.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind your thinking but if we took Bont out and replaced him with Gawn, would we be better or worse? I'd say worse.
    Bont is best in the midfield but because our forward line has been weak, we have played him there a lot, as we have a strong midfield to cover him there. Gawn dominates the ruck and can take marks up forward and in defense, he would be a huge upgrade for us in that area. All about the marginal improvement based on your next best option
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Cripps and Bont are different players. One is a churn or transactional player, the other isn't and has to play CHF a lot of the time anyway.

Play Cripps for Carlton like we play Bont, the latter's output would be better. Play Bont like Carlton play Cripps, I reckon the Bont would be more effective and influence games more.

But, that's just me having watched him closely, and Cripps not so much.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Cripps looks good because he is the only decent mid Carlton have and they can't get the ball.

The Bont has to contend with guys like Macrae who averages 30 plus a game, Libba, Hunter etc etc who are all ball magnets.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate this argument. They're both awesome. Just be happy they're both awesome and let people enjoy things.

Why is the general person's first reaction to anything great to say that it's not as good as something else. No wonder everyone is so miserable.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes bornadog, azabob, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cripps and Bont are great players and different players.
    I rate them both highly as the best in the competition.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

SuperCoach score records aren't the best way of judging a player. That said, Bonts broke his career record last week (156 points). Today he broke that (158 points).

Fitness, and Libba & Dunks doing heavy lifting is certainly helping him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba really has made a massive difference he is also in all Australian form too.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Fully agree Mofra. It absolutely baffles me that people like Fev dont rate Bont highly.
    He does more with 20 possessions than others do with 30.
    Who cares what an old drunk like Fev thinks? Just because Fevola could play the game at an elite level doesn't mean he can analyze it or even talk a minimal amount of sense about it.

I wouldn’t trade Bont for any other player in the league but I might be shameless fanboy.

Is there anyone you’d swap him for?

No way.

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Given his age, no

For the 2019 season, maybe Gawn
    I reckon Tim English will be playing at an elite level long after Max Gawn has hung up the boots. English will be a better player by the end of 2020.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I hate this argument. They're both awesome. Just be happy they're both awesome and let people enjoy things.

Why is the general person's first reaction to anything great to say that it's not as good as something else. No wonder everyone is so miserable.
    Its a competitive game. Ive never rated Martin-he had a good year in 2017 (probably one of the best individual seasons of all time) and dragged Richmond to a flag but its been downhill since then and his best days are now behind him, especially since they have removed his ability to go the Don't Argue. Marcus will win more awards and play in more premierships and rate above Martin on every objective metric by the end of their careers.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Who cares what an old drunk like Fev thinks? Just because Fevola could play the game at an elite level doesn't mean he can analyze it or even talk a minimal amount of sense about it.
    He is literally getting paid for his opinion so unfortunately plenty of people care