Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Moment - Rnd 2, 2919 vs Hawthorn

Ok.
    So this is about the passage, disposal, effort, bravery for the day,
    So about 15 minutes out, I had this pegged very differently. I reckon it would've been Mitch Wallis turning the ball over and gifting a Hawks goal. It seemed to set us on a downward spiral...
    But in light of the great escape, and having rewatched the last 15 minutes.. I nominate the defining moment was when O'Meara 30 out waltzing into goal and he misses. He nails that and Hawks are back to 5 goals in front, and I reckon it would've broken our backs..

Heaps of moments out there in that final quarter to choose from.

2. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment - Rnd 2, 2919 vs Hawthorn

I would've gone with Wallis.

I predicted 6 goals for Schache, but he got 4.2 so I'll claim it. I thought his small moments last week showed a kid with hid mind on the job. McLeans first goal today came after Schache crashed a pack of Hawthorn defenders which allowed the ball to fly out to McLean. That reinforced my view that once he could get into good spots for himself, he'd be switched on to make an impact off his own boot. Which he did. Again late in the game, he showed that he'll stay switched on and do it himself or for a teammate.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Libba’s effort on the wing at the mid point of the last Qtr was game changing... good to have him back!

5. Likes Rocket Science, Mofra, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I would've gone with Wallis.

I predicted 6 goals for Schache, but he got 4.2 so I'll claim it. I thought his small moments last week showed a kid with hid mind on the job. McLeans first goal today came after Schache crashed a pack of Hawthorn defenders which allowed the ball to fly out to McLean. That reinforced my view that once he could get into good spots for himself, he'd be switched on to make an impact off his own boot. Which he did. Again late in the game, he showed that he'll stay switched on and do it himself or for a teammate.
    It's so good to have a big forward that converts his chances more often than not.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Sicily free against Gowers. If he didn't spit the dummy at the Umpire Billy was only 50/50 to make the shot.
    Instead he put Billy straight in front and was lucky the ump didn't report him for abuse.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I would go with Sicily free against Gowers. If he didn't spit the dummy at the Umpire Billy was only 50/50 to make the shot.
    Instead he put Billy straight in front and was lucky the ump didn't report him for abuse.
    Sicily's brain fades today were so important and completely undid his otherwise dominance aerially. He'd do well to avoid Clarko post game.

Post Thanks / Like

Early when Schache split two defenders, sent them to the ground and McLean scores. It was always going to be the big Schache's day after that.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the moment was McCraes goal the celebration was spin tingling. Then after that it would have to been the Libba goal.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Libba’s effort on the wing at the mid point of the last Qtr was game changing... good to have him back!
    Yes that moment for mine was great. Also Dicko in the last not giving up on a ball the Hawks player clearly wanted out, think it led to a McLean Goal.

My other defining moment was a point in the backline where a pack has gone up, the ball has gone to ground its a scramble, but by hand, under pressure the ball goes cleanly from Daniel to Wallis to Crozier and we are out.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The long game dictates I go with Shache's contest where he clattered two defenders and McLean picked up scraps to goal. It wasn't huge in the context of the game, but it announced Shache's arrival as a player. He's been OK for us already, but now we know he ready to go.

James Sosilly free to Shache was the moment. We just needed to get our nose in front and they were cooked. He gifted it to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Could this win be 'the moment', like beating Sydney in the wet at the SCG a few years ago was 'the moment' then?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could this win be 'the moment', like beating Sydney in the wet at the SCG a few years ago was 'the moment' then?
    I’m hoping it reminds the 2016 guys what it feels like to be awesome again, and gives the new guys a taste that leaves them all wanting more.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it! Hopefully in 26 weeks you can give this a bump!

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’m hoping it reminds the 2016 guys what it feels like to be awesome again, and gives the new guys a taste that leaves them all wanting more.
    Its believing again, we don't give up, just keep at it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Also, maybe remind them they beat storming Sydney & Hawthorn sides without the two best performed grand final players who weren't playing today. Add in Williams, Dale, Lippa, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Trengove starting to push for selection.