Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Backline

Post Thanks / Like

The Backline

I understand *everyone* is unhappy about the times that Caleb Daniel is finding himself isolated against a taller opponent deep inside D50 when the ball is in transition.

I am frustrated as well.

BUT I think it is worth reminding everyone that of the back 6 that practised together right throughout the pre-season:

Naughton is playing forward
    Morris has a partial ACL tear and is not playing.
    JJ is still out.

THEN:

Williams (who I acknowledge has been training with the mids went down) and an even more inexperienced defender (Young) was inserted.

All I am saying is, 1-vs-1 is better than 1-vs-NONE. And I think we just need to allow a bit of time for this group - which with Durea only just added to the mix as well, must have been playing their first REAL game together - to gel together.

At the moment, it is good that someone is back...bad that it is Daniel. Hopefully as time moves on, we will see more of Wood and Cordy as the slider (even Crozier who has an excellent leap/positive aerial skills) and less of Caleb...

It is only round 2. No - it isn't "good enough", but playing Daniel as a D50 distributor is working pretty well...we just need to tidy up the defending part...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Backline

Morris not directing traffic is most certainly an issue and the runner rule is an aggravating factor.

The reality is however that we're a considerably more potent team when Caleb Daniel is rebounding. The odd contest where he gets caught out is going to happen but we've been fortunate that we've made the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

4. Likes josie, Raw Toast, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I understand *everyone* is unhappy about the times that Caleb Daniel is finding himself isolated against a taller opponent deep inside D50 when the ball is in transition.

I am frustrated as well.

BUT I think it is worth reminding everyone that of the back 6 that practised together right throughout the pre-season:

Naughton is playing forward
    Morris has a partial ACL tear and is not playing.
    JJ is still out.

THEN:

Williams (who I acknowledge has been training with the mids went down) and an even more inexperienced defender (Young) was inserted.

All I am saying is, 1-vs-1 is better than 1-vs-NONE. And I think we just need to allow a bit of time for this group - which with Durea only just added to the mix as well, must have been playing their first REAL game together - to gel together.

At the moment, it is good that someone is back...bad that it is Daniel. Hopefully as time moves on, we will see more of Wood and Cordy as the slider (even Crozier who has an excellent leap/positive aerial skills) and less of Caleb...

It is only round 2. No - it isn't "good enough", but playing Daniel as a D50 distributor is working pretty well...we just need to tidy up the defending part...
    I agree. And I think the optics of seeing Daniel once or twice a game get that terrible match-up looks far worse than the net positive we get from his distribution.
    If it costs us 1 goal but his ball use down back either creates 2 or 3 or prevents 1 or 2 per game, then the ledger is still well and truly in the positive.

Post Thanks / Like

Frustrating it happened a few times, but agree with the analysis here.

I actually don't mind Daniel being one of the deeper players as we transition back because I want the ball in his hands if we regain possession. Looking forward to seeing the group evolve over the season.

Post Thanks / Like

It only happens because Daniel reads the play so well. Not sure what happens to the direct opponents of the talls?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Daniel brings in clean ball skills, vision and an ability to use the ball so efficiently when exiting, especially through heavy traffic far outweighs the 1 or 2 goals a game that happen when he is isolated 1 on 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m hoping we iron out the kinks and his teammates fall back on the bigger guys with more experience playing together but Caleb is probably in the top couple when it comes to influence. His vision with the game ahead of him is next level. Bevo has found the right spot for his skill set.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a weekly recurrence of The backline thread would be good. This is a group that we need to really gel, and with the plan Bevo & Co has they clearly back a team defense, and aren't wedded to height as the key selection criterion.

Easton Wood played his best game since 2016 with 11 once percenters and was very good overall in coming in over the top.

Crozier was awesome today, spoiling, running in traffic and distributing. And he looked really confident.

Lewy Young...well he looked like a guy who has played a handful of games in one of the most consequential areas of the ground. Mistakes equal instant goals and instant scrutiny. He had some very good moments, some ordinary ones... but its another game in the bank and hopefully it brings him one game closer to confidence at this level. He has some very good attributes.

Duryea.. Was very important late in the 4th. Brave marks and incisive kicks.

Cordy... he's the blue collar, down in the muck cause someone's gotta do it so it might as well be me, kinda guy.

Daniel-. he may very well redefine what a defender can/should be. On tape measure alone, you'd think he'd immediately be disqualified from being our most important defender. This could be Bevo's greatest move. If as MJP mentions in his initial post, we can iron out the kinks and over time get other guys being the one who rolls back on the tall instead of Caleb.
    Nonetheless as it stands I'm okay with him getting the impossible match-up once or twice a game if Caleb otherwise creates or saves 2 or 3 goals a game.

12. Likes hujsh, GVGjr, josie, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel has been outmarked, legitimately, twice. He normally spoils and what he gives in run and ball use if far greater than what he costs in giving up marks.

It's as clear a signal as can be given the we back our system in. No surprise that as a group we seem more confident this year than last.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Crozier. He's really tough, and generally used the ball well. I'm very happy to have picked him up.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm a big fan of Crozier. He's really tough, and generally used the ball well. I'm very happy to have picked him up.
    He reminds me so much of Matthew Boyd in defence. He is great one one one, can hold his own against all types of forwards, can sacrifice where needed, surprisingly strong in the air, and when he gets the ball he is composed, tidy and attacking without overdoing any of them.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes hujsh, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    He reminds me so much of Matthew Boyd in defence. He is great one one one, can hold his own against all types of forwards, can sacrifice where needed, surprisingly strong in the air, and when he gets the ball he is composed, tidy and attacking without overdoing any of them.
    He also has a booming left foot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Crosier has been crazy good the first two rounds this year and damn good last year except for injuries. His leap and marking ability are v good and he is a quick thinker too. Agree he is brave too. And Woody was back to his leaping & punching best today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Great comparison. Would never have thought of it myself as there are different 'tags' the players had before becoming HBFs for us (in and under, tough midfielder vs silky, skilled ball user) but they do have a lot in common as flankers.

21. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Crosier has been crazy good the first two rounds this year and damn good last year except for injuries. His leap and marking ability are v good and he is a quick thinker too. Agree he is brave too. And Woody was back to his leaping & punching best today.
    It actually seems like Woody is starting to really get some confidence back around his game, I'm actually stating to rate him as a defender again instead of wanting him gone.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016