Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Backline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Backline

Agree that this was one of Wood's best games in a long while. Still consider any disposal he gets in our forward half to be wasted but his defensive work made up for the few he had.

Post Thanks / Like

Crozier is playing as well as an intercepting defender can play and Caleb will be AA if he keeps his form up. He gets caught out on the last line of defence but that's down to his ability to cover distance and game awareness, his influence rebounding is so much higher than the one or two goals he gives away with size mismatches.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel is good in a contest and the "he'll get outmarked because he's small lol" is typical lazy narrative-based commentary by Seven's usual gang of idiots. He's extremely core strong and has proven to be an effective spoiler.

As Mofra said he's been outmarked twice so far in 6 games down back, by 2 superstar players who have made plenty of tall defenders look stupid. I'm not hearing anything about him beating Ceglar one on one but I guess that didn't count?

The good far outweighs the "bad" here.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Daniel is good in a contest and the "he'll get outmarked because he's small lol" is typical lazy narrative-based commentary by Seven's usual gang of idiots. He's extremely core strong and has proven to be an effective spoiler.

As Mofra said he's been outmarked twice so far in 6 games down back, by 2 superstar players who have made plenty of tall defenders look stupid. I'm not hearing anything about him beating Ceglar one on one but I guess that didn't count?

The good far outweighs the "bad" here.
    Agree with all of this and have said similar in the past.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Would still like to see Richards back in defence where he was a star last year. Looks lost further afield and like Naughton has showed they are both talented young players.

Post Thanks / Like

Been really impressed with our backline this year. Good contest and smart movement our of the D50.

Crozier is looking great already, Daniel has been BOG 2 quarters this year and Duryea was outstanding in the last qtr on Sunday.

Add in a really solid performance from Young and a consisyejt performance from cordy and we have some solid depth when JJ and Moz return.

What was the issue with Williams? He looked completely out of form R1, I thought he was dropped, not injured.

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit to being harsh on Crozier when he first arrived. Not now. He is playing very good football. Gutsy player who copes well under pressure.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Been really impressed with our backline this year. Good contest and smart movement our of the D50.

Crozier is looking great already, Daniel has been BOG 2 quarters this year and Duryea was outstanding in the last qtr on Sunday.

Add in a really solid performance from Young and a consisyejt performance from cordy and we have some solid depth when JJ and Moz return.

What was the issue with Williams? He looked completely out of form R1, I thought he was dropped, not injured.
    I thought on the whole Young did OK at the game, however watching the final quarter again last night he directly turned the ball over by foot twice. The rushed kick that went high in the air and didn't even clear the defensive 50 wasn't something I would like to see again.

I think the club said Williams was rested with an eye to upcoming games (we have a 5 day break next round), not sure if that's legit. What was wrong with his game against Sydney? He was forced to play mostly as a tall defender given the Swans height and our lack thereof. I thought he performed fine.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I thought on the whole Young did OK at the game, however watching the final quarter again last night he directly turned the ball over by foot twice. The rushed kick that went high in the air and didn't even clear the defensive 50 wasn't something I would like to see again.

I think the club said Williams was rested with an eye to upcoming games (we have a 5 day break next round), not sure if that's legit. What was wrong with his game against Sydney? He was forced to play mostly as a tall defender given the Swans height and our lack thereof. I thought he performed fine.
    Bevo mentioned in his presser he had some leg soreness. Not sure if that is 100% true.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.