Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  56
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 5, Vs Carlton

I’m really at a loss. I am so nervous about this game. This is the only game that Carlton have a chance of winning over the next four weeks. They will set themselves for us and have nothing to lose.

I’m not sure who to bring in but would love the experience of Morris and Picken if they were available. Two of our best and most experienced players.

So I’m not sure youth is what we need to bring in but the options are short

History tells me that Bevo will go in unchanged again.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Watched the Sun v Blues game today. The Blues have some tall marking players in their forward line (McKay 204cm, McGovern 191cm, Curnow 192cm and Casboult 198cm). We will need to bring in an extra tall defender.
    I think we give Lewis Young another crack. His best ever game (his first one) was against Carlton and surely that would fill him with extra confidence.

I am not going to lie, I am nervous about this game. We need to score heavily- the longer we leave the door open the more confident and likely to walk through they will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I think we give Lewis Young another crack. His best ever game (his first one) was against Carlton and surely that would fill him with extra confidence.

I am not going to lie, I am nervous about this game. We need to score heavily- the longer we leave the door open the more confident and likely to walk through they will be.
    Lewis should not have been dropped against Collingwood, he may have been handy down back against Cox in the last.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Surely Roberts deserves another chance.
    I get the impression that similar to Roughead and Campbell, Roberts also may not be on the Coach’s radar. It leads to the possibility of Trengrove being recalled as a key defender to assist Cordy. Trengrove should also provide ruck support to English rather than Schache who is better suited as a forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I’m really at a loss. I am so nervous about this game. This is the only game that Carlton have a chance of winning over the next four weeks.
    Umm. They play Hawthorn and North after us...are you saying we aren't as good as either of those sides?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a danger game, and Carlton aren't as bad as their start suggests, just as GC aren't as good as their start suggests. The doggies need to be hungry on Sunday to get back on the winning list. going 3-2 after 5 rounds is important, especially with a couple of tough games to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time ago you could look at the fixture and tick off games you’ll win and not win but now the competition is so even there is no such thing as that today. Need to be wary on Sunday as the Blues will be fired up after that loss but we lost by not much as well and will be just as dertermined to win and go 3-2. The next few months will be interesting fo us now and will see where we are at with a bigger sample size.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Umm. They play Hawthorn and North after us...are you saying we aren't as good as either of those sides?
    Not saying that. I just think they will be looking at the next 4 weeks and they are going to say on current form we will be the easiest to get over the top of. We beat the Hawks. Just. We should be better than the atoms but they have the wood on us.

We need to be focused and on our game this week. Don’t want to be the first side the Blues beat.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Not saying that. I just think they will be looking at the next 4 weeks and they are going to say on current form we will be the easiest to get over the top of. We beat the Hawks. Just. We should be better than the atoms but they have the wood on us.

We need to be focused and on our game this week. Don’t want to be the first side the Blues beat.
    On current form, Hawks lost to Saints...

The Blues will fancy themselves to have a good month.

Post Thanks / Like

Official danger game. They are getting absolutely belted in the media from every single angle. They will come out breathing fire. It has to turn for them at some stage.

However 3 wins in their last 36 outings makes for horrific reading. Their skill level and game plan execution is putrid. Setterfield will be a loss. Welsh copped a decent knock to his buttock/lower back. They played in 25c with 80% humidity interstate. They played 10 players with less than 50 games (even though we were actually younger than them on the weekend in both age and games played we only had 7 players with less than 50). There really is no excuses.

If we bring intensity to the contest and we take some of our chances, we will win easily. My fear is that we dominate in general play, don't make them pay on the scoreboard, they get a sniff and then it's anyone's game.

13. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lewis should not have been dropped against Collingwood, he may have been handy down back against Cox in the last.
    If you were going to argue he should play for development reasons then fair enough, but no way in hell is he a better defender than Cordy. What difference would he have made against Collingwood? An extra tall defender wouldn't have helped at all and in fact it's likely we would have been worse off had Young played in place of Richards for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If you were going to argue he should play for development reasons then fair enough, but no way in hell is he a better defender than Cordy. What difference would he have made against Collingwood? An extra tall defender wouldn't have helped at all and in fact it's likely we would have been worse off had Young played in place of Richards for example.
    Never said he should replace Cordy, but what I don't like is Cordy being a Key Position Player. He is only 193cm and like Wood is going to struggle against the tall forwards. Yes Young is developing and we need him to step up and get games into him.

Our backline needs someone to play on the gorilla's, because as the game gets longer the bigger guys don't get shorter. I don't rate Cox at all, but in the last quarter as our players started to fatigue, they could no longer jump as high as him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Never said he should replace Cordy, but what I don't like is Cordy being a Key Position Player. He is only 193cm and like Wood is going to struggle against the tall forwards. Yes Young is developing and we need him to step up and get games into him.

Our backline needs someone to play on the gorilla's, because as the game gets longer the bigger guys don't get shorter. I don't rate Cox at all, but in the last quarter as our players started to fatigue, they could no longer jump as high as him.
    Collingwood only had 1 "Gorilla" in Cox. Cordy is better equipped to play on Cox than Young, despite being a few centimetres shorter. What role would Young have played to improve our chances on Friday night?

I'm not against Young playing but there was no matchup for him against the Pies, there may be one against Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Official danger game. They are getting absolutely belted in the media from every single angle. They will come out breathing fire. It has to turn for them at some stage.
    They have been getting belted for 3 years...we have 100% played this song before. And how much more 'fire breathing' could they be this week than they were last week? Cripps is going to be SORE and so is Murphy...it isn't like those two could do much more...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate Cox at all, but in the last quarter as our players started to fatigue, they could no longer jump as high as him.
    If Bailey Smith just kicks the goal that was a legit gift from the lord above and the umpires don't incorrectly award Cox a mark when Crozier had 4/5th's of it (and was the man in front) then we wouldn't even be discussing this. Yes, Collingwood had more run in the last quarter...as we came off a short week. Probably should have been expected (and I must admit I discounted it because it was only Round 4, but that was a mistake) and just another of those issues with the fixture that is still the biggest cause of inequality in the game....

Young is more Flanker than key position player at the moment and whilst he has a lot of talent, based on his ball use against the Suns he is not ready for AFL footy.

19. Likes Mofra, hujsh liked this post