Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  56
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 5, Vs Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I Love Bevo but he is so frustrating at the selection table. Are we trying to get a spike off two debutants to avoid complacency against Carlton?
    While I find the selections baffling most weeks, surely the results from the first 2 weeks of the season by going in with a smaller line-up and winning 50/50 type games buys Bevo some latitude? It's highly unconventional but outside of the lass to GC it seems to have been competitive. While I'm expecting a good win I must admit though a loss tomorrow would test my patience.

Something doesn't quite sit well with me given that good performances at Footscray don't seem to matter at the selection table.
    Hopefully there is a bigger picture at play that most of us aren't privy to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who have we burnt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We burned him last year when he was showing signs of fatigue but we kept playing him a couple of games more which resulted in a decent spell on the sidelines while injured.
    I think he would benefit with some support this week after copping a hiding last week but now he will be backed up by Dunkley and will probably need push himself a bit further. I hope Boyd gets fit enough soon so Englush has some support
    Agree on English. I'd add Tom Boyd. Webb's development HBF/inside mid/forward flank in AFEL hasn't been ideal. Schache rucking isn't doing much for his development or the team. All I want is for these talented kids to bloom into their potential.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Agree on English. I'd add Tom Boyd. Webb's development HBF/inside mid/forward flank in AFEL hasn't been ideal. Schache rucking isn't doing much for his development or the team. All I want is for these talented kids to bloom into their potential.
    Can we add the Wood as forward trial while we're at it which the skipper's clearly never recovered from.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton’s backline is very tall. I dare say the plan is to try and expose that. We probably don’t want to be forced into playing a resting ruck or extra KPP forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I find the selections baffling most weeks, surely the results from the first 2 weeks of the season by going in with a smaller line-up and winning 50/50 type games buys Bevo some latitude? It's highly unconventional but outside of the lass to GC it seems to have been competitive. While I'm expecting a good win I must admit though a loss tomorrow would test my patience.

Something doesn't quite sit well with me given that good performances at Footscray don't seem to matter at the selection table.
    Hopefully there is a bigger picture at play that most of us aren't privy to.
    There is going to be a whole lot of chocolate melt if we loose this one. Its great to see that he has got the place humming again but you need wins to keep/ build on it. Do we really need to play two rookies? Do we really need to have a developing ruckman as the only ruck in the team? Thats just a couple questions I have. In this competition atm there is a fine line between pleasure and pain, Im not sure we are giving the side every chance to succeed.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm as confused as the next person, but really only one of the selections is hard to understand.

We lost Duryea and Suckling to injury. Williams and La Young are the best performed like for like replacements from Footscray. Schache provided nothing last week and his demotion is not surprising if justifiably debatable. The question is why replace him with Hayes?
    Is the plan to have Bont spend more time forward? I hope not, though bringing in another mid-fielder means somebody is going to spend less time in the centre. Especially as Williams may get some time there too.
    Gowers to FF will be nothing new.
    Who rucks? Clearly Bevo doesn't care about losing the hit outs, nothing new there. So the answer probably is anyone except Caleb Daniel.

I am concerned about McKay, Curnow (not that tall), Kreuzer and Weitering (if he has no match up down back) getting hold of us up forward, but that really comes down to the mid-field, which is where we have played all our cards.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

English - We have put a lot of faith in the kid as our number one ruck, but hardly burnt the guy. Yeah he got an injury last year.

Boyd - Got me baffled here, just because you don't like him in the ruck?

Webb - He has been given lots of chances but just isn't up to AFL standard at this stage. Hopefully he improves

Schache - 5 min chop outs in the ruck is hardly burning him. Schache needs to watch how Naughton attacks the ball and do the same.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English - We have put a lot of faith in the kid as our number one ruck, but hardly burnt the guy. Yeah he got an injury last year.

Boyd - Got me baffled here, just because you don't like him in the ruck?

Webb - He has been given lots of chances but just isn't up to AFL standard at this stage. Hopefully he improves

Schache - 5 min chop outs in the ruck is hardly burning him. Schache needs to watch how Naughton attacks the ball and do the same.
    My original post talked about burning, AND issues of developing talent. I think this is an area we can improve upon.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

My original post talked about burning, AND issues of developing talent. I think this is an area we can improve upon.
    Personally I don't see any issues with player development. Go through the best 22 and see how many are under 23 and how good they are. Cordy, Bont, Naughton, Mclean, Dunks, Williams, Daniel, to name a few
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't see any issues with player development. Go through the best 22 and see how many are under 23 and how good they are. Cordy, Bont, Naughton, Mclean, Dunks, Williams, Daniel, to name a few
    I have issues with burning them out before they're developed. English needs help. He's a kid who has a long career in front of him why can't we get our sole backup ruck/fwd/fwd a shot to help him out? Yeah there are games to be won and we'll probably win tomorrow but we'll destroy the kid before he even reaches is prime the way we're going.

I'm still hoping for a late change and Trengove comes in.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of the rucks and English getting torched by Grundy in particular, Murphy and Anstey on Freedom in a cage provided a good stat. Whilst English lost the hit out 6 to 60 ( or something like that). The percentage that Grundy won that went to Collingwood's advantage was small, say 10%. A ruckman has a bigger influence around the ground and this is where English needs to develop and contribute. If he provides a contest at a ruck duel that is enough. What I like in the last was that he was barely competing, but essentially becoming an additional mid in the centre. It didn't work ultimately, but it will work against some other teams. Will he burn out? I dont think so. Not this season anyway. He needs the game time to develop and build that tank because that is where he is going to really hurt the opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

What shits me with selection is this. Schache was poor last week no debate. But there's no factoring how poor the forward entries were.

Now this week, a range of players filtered through the position he would've held, and they by and large did bugger all because mids were putting it high up in the high, while the forward was outnumbers two or three to one.

With ball entry like this, no one is going to do much, not even if you can catch it like Naughton, who did not much at all. Is that MC going to drop one or two unimpactful mid sized forwards for doing bugger all, on the standard applied to Schache? Probably not, and today showed it doesn't matter how tall you are, or small you are, whether you were drafted high, or rookie listed, that 64% efficiency and horrible entries means your stats are directly shithouse. At least Schache is a very reliable shot unlike the horrific conversation we put up this year.

If we continue to drop Boyd & Schache for not doing enough as a forward when they're not bring given advantage by those kicking it towards them, then we are truly insane. Their smaller replacements have the same problem, and God willing when the coaches review the game they'll see that butchered balls forward make it exceptionally hard to do anything whatsoever, big or small. So maybe fix up these skills ASAP??

Post Thanks / Like

What shits me with selection is this. Schache was poor last week no debate. But there's no factoring how poor the forward entries were.

Now this week, a range of players filtered through the position he would've held, and they by and large did bugger all because mids were putting it high up in the high, while the forward was outnumbers two or three to one.

With ball entry like this, no one is going to do much, not even if you can catch it like Naughton, who did not much at all. Is that MC going to drop one or two unimpactful mid sized forwards for doing bugger all, on the standard applied to Schache? Probably not, and today showed it doesn't matter how tall you are, or small you are, whether you were drafted high, or rookie listed, that 64% efficiency and horrible entries means your stats are directly shithouse. At least Schache is a very reliable shot unlike the horrific conversation we put up this year.

If we continue to drop Boyd & Schache for not doing enough as a forward when they're not bring given advantage by those kicking it towards them, then we are truly insane. Their smaller replacements have the same problem, and God willing when the coaches review the game they'll see that butchered balls forward make it exceptionally hard to do anything whatsoever, big or small. So maybe fix up these skills ASAP??
    It’s common sense to all on here, so why the F*** are the MC completely blinded by the obvious. Arrogance or just plain stupidity?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    It’s common sense to all on here, so why the F*** are the MC completely blinded by the obvious. Arrogance or just plain stupidity?
    I think earlier in this thread or early in the game day thread, I said I thought the selections risked being signs of over confident and perhaps hubris. I'm biased, but I think I was right.

18. Likes DOG GOD liked this post