Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  56
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 5, Vs Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    I don’t understand having English as our only recognised ruckman. Trengove’s best year to date was when he played in the ruck full time. I said it earlier in the year that we can’t throw English to the wolves he was going to need some help. Not just a chop out but a genuine helper. English would also cause headaches in the forward line. He is a great mark and has great foot skills.

I really like like the team that is playing but if blokes are knocking on the door you have to let them in. That’s how you build a super strong culture about winning, everyone knows if you’re a bit off your game then it’s VFL tilll you knock someone else out. This needs to happen to remind everyone that you will get your chance if your playing good football in the VFL.

Outs Gowers. Richards.

Ins Trengove. Williams.

i know Lippa deserves a go but just not sue who else to come out. Would really like to see Young back in but Bevo doesn’t like to change to many at a time
    I would add Lipinski as a third in, replacing Smith. Richards was outstanding last year in defence and should return there at the expense of Duryea. Wood should return to a half back flank where he plays his best football with Trengrove to play at centre half back and a back up to English who desperately needs support in the ruck.
    In. Trengrove Williams Lipinski
    Out. Gowers Duryea Smith

2. Likes S Coast Simon, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    We've all been mystified by selection since 2015 and for the first 2 years we went and won anyway - if Trengove doesn't come in this week, why the hell did we sign him?
    Does this remind you of Roughy. Collingwood seemed to be very happy with the way the deal ended up. He wasn’t good enough to get a game with us but can walk into the runners up last year without any hiccups 🤔

Go figure
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Does this remind you of Roughy. Collingwood seemed to be very happy with the way the deal ended up. He wasn’t good enough to get a game with us but can walk into the runners up last year without any hiccups ��

Go figure
    Collingwood needed a key defender and went and got Roughy. We needed a key defender and went and got Trengrove who has rarely played there. Sadly Roughy has barracked for the Bulldogs all his life, overcome a serious eye injury in the 2016 preliminary final and then played a key role in a Premiership win. Roughy’s links extends to his Father and Uncle both whom played at VFL level with the Bulldogs. An outstanding Club man Collingwood has got a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Collingwood needed a key defender and went and got Roughy. We needed a key defender and went and got Trengrove who has rarely played there. Sadly Roughy has barracked for the Bulldogs all his life, overcome a serious eye injury in the 2016 preliminary final and then played a key role in a Premiership win. Roughy’s links extends to his Father and Uncle both whom played at VFL level with the Bulldogs. An outstanding Club man Collingwood has got a good one.
    Yes and we wouldn’t play him. He was in the leadership group and loved by all
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Outs Gowers. Richards.

Ins Trengove. Williams.

i know Lippa deserves a go but just not sue who else to come out. Would really like to see Young back in but Bevo doesn’t like to change to many at a time
    Williams hasn't done enough to warrant selection at this stage.

We also have a bye in the VFL this week which doesn't help those knocking on the door.

Listening to Gia discuss the win last week, Lippa has been playing as an inside mid at VFL level which was interesting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not fussed about Trengove playing, he can only play as the #1 ruck so unless we drop English or want to play Tim more forward I don’t see the point in playing Trengove.

Unfortunately Trengove is too slow to play as a key defender now and he can’t mark/lead to play as a forward.

His value is as an aggressive first ruck who follows the ball, but he’s been disappointing in this role. He played some good footy a few years ago but if we are being honest, he’s been a really average pick up.

Have to admit it’s a little frustrating seeing Roughy hold down FB at the Pies. Mobility is about the same as Trengove but he’s 100x better in the air and is taking contested grabs again. Of all the players we’ve lost, it sucks to see him elsewhere but good to see he’s revitalised his career. He’s much better suited to the back half as opposed to ruck.

In terms of our ins/outs, I’d like to see us invest in Young to see if we can fast track development by pumping games into him. I didn’t agree with dropping him and thought he had battled Ok with some encouraging but inconsistent signs. We need to persist and this is the year to do it - we aren’t winning the flag or contending - so it’s vital we quickly develop the likes of English, Young, Naughton and Schache - all within reason, as there’s no doubt times they’ll need to be rested or dropped to find touch again.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Trengrove get BOG in the VFL? Seeing as we drafted him would like to see him at least given a chance, if he is getting BOG in the VFL.
    Against Carlton I would drop Gowers and put Bont in the forward line for parts of the game, along with Naughton. See how they handle that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Didn't Trengrove get BOG in the VFL? Seeing as we drafted him would like to see him at least given a chance, if he is getting BOG in the VFL.
    Against Carlton I would drop Gowers and put Bont in the forward line for parts of the game, along with Naughton. See how they handle that.
    One thing you need to consider, there is a big difference between the VFL and the AFL. I once asked Minson that question and he said, take it this way, he can easily pickup 30 disposals in the VFL.

In any case, the VFL does give us some indication on a players form.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not fussed about Trengove playing, he can only play as the #1 ruck so unless we drop English or want to play Tim more forward I don’t see the point in playing Trengove.
    He can replace Schache's 4 disposals and non competitiveness in the ruck, and also alllow English to spend a bit more time forward which may help him get through the season.

If need be he can chop out in defence - is he really that much slower than Casbault? Unless there's a fast break we will zone in defence and make Carlton bomb it in, it's how Roughy's been effective this year.

It won't happen as much as I'd like it to.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In: Lewis Young, Williams, Lipinski

Out: Richards, Gowers, Dickson

The balance of the team is still out of whack, but we need some extra height in defence which is why Young must play. Wood should really be dropped, but I can't see it happening.

Happy to give Schache one more game.

13. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He can replace Schache's 4 disposals and non competitiveness in the ruck, and also alllow English to spend a bit more time forward which may help him get through the season.

If need be he can chop out in defence - is he really that much slower than Casbault? Unless there's a fast break we will zone in defence and make Carlton bomb it in, it's how Roughy's been effective this year.

It won't happen as much as I'd like it to.
    Agree. Even though Trengove is not a natural forward he can bash and crash the packs better and also at this stage ruck better than Schache. I like Scache but needs big improvement on his 4 disposals. His 4 goals were good previously but has to learn to stay in the game more and be more consistent.

15. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stevo makes a good point:

Big key forwards against Dogs this year:

R1: Reid 2, Buddy 1.
    R2: Roughead 2.
    R3: Burgess 1.
    R4: Cox 1.

Three key backs in 2s, but not a problem so far! Carl land of talls may be more of a test ..
    Bevo probably thinking in a similar way.

I would still bring in Trengove to help in rucks and drop back to CHB. Leave Schache up forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Going in to bat a bit for Trengove. Cordy is undoubtedly being playing out of position and is struggling because of it. He's suited to the second tall role or even third tall role which allows Wood to step down the ladder and focus on his intercept skill set or even enabling to generate run. The form of Cordy and Wood are suffering because of the need to play tall, neither have fired a shot this year. Sure we haven't allowed opposition key talls to score heavily but as Mof said earlier a midget forward line will only get you so far for so long, for me it's time to make changes. Cordy and Wood are not strictly negating players, it's not their strengths.

Trengove's no world better but he's solid and still mobile enough to play on big forwards. He's strong enough too, pretty reliable decision maker and ok by foot. He's a man who knows how to play within his limitations and he has experience. No-one is going to totally destroy him because of all these attributes. Trengove has to replace Young. The benefit of having Young in the team is that we get games into him, great but he's clearly not ready and needs to keep learning his craft at VFL level. The benefit of having Trengove in the team over him is threefold. He can hold down a key back post, he can help English in the ruck and he can provide support for Cordy and Wood to, potentially, look at how they can influence a game rather than just purely defend.

Someone said earlier that we should just play Young because we aren't going to content. I feel that we are three or four critical moments from sitting on top of the ladder and are a very real prospect of playing finals this year. It's also important to win games for a number of other reasons. I'd play Trengove back and chop out English in the ruck.

In: Trengove
    Out: Young
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Main problem with that is Young isn't in the team to drop for Trengove.

19. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One thing you need to consider, there is a big difference between the VFL and the AFL. I once asked Minson that question and he said, take it this way, he can easily pickup 30 disposals in the VFL.

In any case, the VFL does give us some indication on a players form.
    I see your point. But that's not the players' fault. We ask them to perform at VFL level before they are selected. Fine. They get BOG. What else do they have to do? English gets injured and I think we will regret not selecting Trengrove.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus