Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  56
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 5, Vs Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Main problem with that is Young isn't in the team to drop for Trengove.
    Drop Gowers instead and Schache stays in forward line
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Going in to bat a bit for Trengove. Cordy is undoubtedly being playing out of position and is struggling because of it. He's suited to the second tall role or even third tall role which allows Wood to step down the ladder and focus on his intercept skill set or even enabling to generate run. The form of Cordy and Wood are suffering because of the need to play tall, neither have fired a shot this year. Sure we haven't allowed opposition key talls to score heavily but as Mof said earlier a midget forward line will only get you so far for so long, for me it's time to make changes. Cordy and Wood are not strictly negating players, it's not their strengths.

Trengove's no world better but he's solid and still mobile enough to play on big forwards. He's strong enough too, pretty reliable decision maker and ok by foot. He's a man who knows how to play within his limitations and he has experience. No-one is going to totally destroy him because of all these attributes. Trengove has to replace Young. The benefit of having Young in the team is that we get games into him, great but he's clearly not ready and needs to keep learning his craft at VFL level. The benefit of having Trengove in the team over him is threefold. He can hold down a key back post, he can help English in the ruck and he can provide support for Cordy and Wood to, potentially, look at how they can influence a game rather than just purely defend.

Someone said earlier that we should just play Young because we aren't going to content. I feel that we are three or four critical moments from sitting on top of the ladder and are a very real prospect of playing finals this year. It's also important to win games for a number of other reasons. I'd play Trengove back and chop out English in the ruck.

In: Trengove
    Out: Young
    What shot are we realistically waiting for Cordy to fire though? He's a versatile but honest stopper whose success is measured in pressure acts and mistakes limited. Is there an aggressive rebounder somewhere in there waiting to bloom?

Wood certainly, should be more proactive on that front but I'd be happy if he gets his defensive reads right again for now.

One thing's suddenly irking me and it's this: we basically torched the last two years on the altar of 'development' ... and we all agree it'd be ideal for Lewy Young to come on sooner rather than later. So why the hell was he virtually excommunicated last year?

I suspect he'd be a less iffy prospect about now with an extra dozen games on the speedo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t change too much. We lost the last 2 matches due to mistakes and missed opportunities. I don’t think the overall most of the team is horrible given the options at VFL level don’t fix anything really.

Richards & Gowers would be on my watch list. So if we want change, could bring in Webb/Williams for Richards and Liopa for Gowers.

But it’s all much of a muchness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    What shot are we realistically waiting for Cordy to fire though? He's a versatile but honest stopper whose success is measured in pressure acts and mistakes limited. Is there an aggressive rebounder somewhere in there waiting to bloom?

Wood certainly, should be more proactive on that front but I'd be happy if he gets his defensive reads right again for now.

One thing's suddenly irking me and it's this: we basically torched the last two years on the altar of 'development' ... and we all agree it'd be ideal for Lewy Young to come on sooner rather than later. So why the hell was he virtually excommunicated last year?

I suspect he'd be a less iffy prospect about now with an extra dozen games on the speedo.
    I was thinking the same. What other role is Cordy expected to play.

Maybe I am alone here but in my opinion Cordy has been good. He seems to be playing a lock down role and is spoiling marking contests and doing the one percenters that every footy coach loves. I don't think it is our defence that is the issue. Sure bring in Trengove as the utility player but let's look at the area that needs addressing and that is our fwd 50 (whether it is structure or delivery).

5. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Going in to bat a bit for Trengove. Cordy is undoubtedly being playing out of position and is struggling because of it. He's suited to the second tall role or even third tall role which allows Wood to step down the ladder and focus on his intercept skill set or even enabling to generate run. The form of Cordy and Wood are suffering because of the need to play tall, neither have fired a shot this year. Sure we haven't allowed opposition key talls to score heavily but as Mof said earlier a midget forward line will only get you so far for so long, for me it's time to make changes. Cordy and Wood are not strictly negating players, it's not their strengths.

Trengove's no world better but he's solid and still mobile enough to play on big forwards. He's strong enough too, pretty reliable decision maker and ok by foot. He's a man who knows how to play within his limitations and he has experience. No-one is going to totally destroy him because of all these attributes. Trengove has to replace Young. The benefit of having Young in the team is that we get games into him, great but he's clearly not ready and needs to keep learning his craft at VFL level. The benefit of having Trengove in the team over him is threefold. He can hold down a key back post, he can help English in the ruck and he can provide support for Cordy and Wood to, potentially, look at how they can influence a game rather than just purely defend.

Someone said earlier that we should just play Young because we aren't going to content. I feel that we are three or four critical moments from sitting on top of the ladder and are a very real prospect of playing finals this year. It's also important to win games for a number of other reasons. I'd play Trengove back and chop out English in the ruck.

In: Trengove
    Out: Young

Please spare my heart from such torture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    I was thinking the same. What other role is Cordy expected to play.

Maybe I am alone here but in my opinion Cordy has been good. He seems to be playing a lock down role and is spoiling marking contests and doing the one percenters that every footy coach loves. I don't think it is our defence that is the issue. Sure bring in Trengove as the utility player but let's look at the area that needs addressing and that is our fwd 50 (whether it is structure or delivery).
    Completely agree. Cordy is playing the role he is suited to and playing it well. I think he is best suited to playing on the big forwards despite sometimes giving away some size. He isn't quick or agile enough to play on many smaller players. Given a reasonable chance he is rarely beaten in a contest and generally makes life difficult for opposition forwards. Not sure what else he is supposed to be doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree. Cordy is playing the role he is suited to and playing it well. I think he is best suited to playing on the big forwards despite sometimes giving away some size. He isn't quick or agile enough to play on many smaller players. Given a reasonable chance he is rarely beaten in a contest and generally makes life difficult for opposition forwards. Not sure what else he is supposed to be doing?
    I disagree, Cordy is not a KPP, he is more your Morris type. Having said that he has battled hard and done well to date.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy doesnt have the speed or agility to be a Morris type(someone who can play on anyone big or small).
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I disagree, Cordy is not a KPP, he is more your Morris type. Having said that he has battled hard and done well to date.
    As Chef and I have pointed out Cordy just doesn't have the physical attributes to be a Morris type player.

I think you need to put his vital statistics to the side for a moment and judge him with your eyes. If you think he is regularly being beaten for size and strength then you must be seeing something I am not. If you don't see that then he is doing his job and I'm not sure what why we are even discussing this.

Post Thanks / Like

As Chef and I have pointed out Cordy just doesn't have the physical attributes to be a Morris type player.

I think you need to put his vital statistics to the side for a moment and judge him with your eyes. If you think he is regularly being beaten for size and strength then you must be seeing something I am not. If you don't see that then he is doing his job and I'm not sure what why we are even discussing this.
    Sorry I should have said Morris type when Morris plays taller players. I said Cordy has done well to date, but we will see when Cordy has to front up to Lynch, or Kennedy, or Brown. We are killing the bloke just like we are killing Wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy is fine. He is a good defender, negates well, is versatile enough and ok with the ball. He is the best key defender on our list by a fair way aside from Naughton, who is the best tall on our list by a fair way. I would suggest that should he struggle on Kennedy, Brown or Lynch that will be just as much down to his teammates letting him down than anything he has done.

As for the Roughead departure, we traded him out because he was comfortably behind Cordy and Naughton in defence and English and Trengove in the ruck. Trengove is a very similiar player in stature and versatility but is much less injury prone.

Selection this week? Honestly i don't really know who we drop, everyone has either done enough to warrant selection or brings something different to the table.

English stays, he showed good signs around the ball, although his lack of hitouts is concerning. Not that i think it's necessarily important to him being a good player, but i can't think of any rucks that struggled to win hitouts early and then blossomed into an effective tap ruckman later. I have no doubts English will be a very good ruckman in every other facet of the game.

Trengove comes in for Schache I think, he is the only logical replacement for Schache should we drop him and returns our side to the 22 i expected at the start of the year, with Trengove starting ruck and basically working over the other teams ruck while English plays forward then runs the tired ruck around.

Gowers has been poor this season, but nobody else is capable of being the awkward physical target he is. I would have considered Greene as he is at least a natural forward but bad ankles scrap that. I;m worried that if we drop Gowers we play Bont forward more to give another target which i dont really want to happen.

Richards is the other dropping candidate, although I like what he offers he has done very little these last two weeks. Lipinski for him if we go that way.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

No shots I just think back to 2016 when he had the freedom to affect more contests. I know he played as a defensive forward a lot through the back end of 2016 but he seems to have gone from a third tall roaming type to a key position stopper. My feeling is he is too small and that his flexibility is being compromised due to his sacrifice for the team. He's tough player but he's going to be found out sooner or later. I don't think he's a key position player he's a slightly taller Hargrave. I guess we'll see and time will tell.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t mind dropping gowers and allowing Wallis to play more fwd, allowing dunks and McLean more guts time, where they are best served.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

16. Likes josie, hujsh, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Main problem with that is Young isn't in the team to drop for Trengove.
    My bad thx. My interest is a but meh and it shows.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I wouldn’t mind dropping gowers and allowing Wallis to play more fwd, allowing dunks and McLean more guts time, where they are best served.
    Best idea yet. McLean is being wasted up forward. His clean hands up the ground would be ideal, and Wallis is an accurate kick.

Kudos.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023