Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  92
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee R6, Vs Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Hardly. They are young and will get their chances.
    I have little doubt both would be on the radars of other clubs. Not playing them despite good VFL form, or playing a small instead of Young, gives an opening to other clubs to make a variety of promises. This is how Hamling left. Frustrated he couldn't get a game, Freo got to him and Kersten, and despite winning a flag, Hamling leaves.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Why bring Williams in for a game then give him the hook? It's not like we're flush with creative line-breakers.

There's something weird about the way he's been handled this year.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Agee. Bailey Williams was one of the rare good stories of 2017. How he is being managed this year doesn’t make sense. Is there anything else going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I have little doubt both would be on the radars of other clubs. Not playing them despite good VFL form, or playing a small instead of Young, gives an opening to other clubs to make a variety of promises. This is how Hamling left. Frustrated he couldn't get a game, Freo got to him and Kersten, and despite winning a flag, Hamling leaves.
    We are covering old ground with Hamling. It was mainly family reasons for him leaving.

Haven’t we signed up some our younger players already on longer deals such as Naughton and English. Think you are being a bit dramatic with the Lipinski and Young comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Agee. Bailey Williams was one of the rare good stories of 2017. How he is being managed this year doesn’t make sense. Is there anything else going on?
    This season's scapegoat perhaps? Perfect chance to slot him into Sucklings position last week, which he has done reasonably well in the past and we put him on the ball. Now he's dropped quicker than a hot potato.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    We are covering old ground with Hamling. It was mainly family reasons for him leaving.

Haven’t we signed up some our younger players already on longer deals such as Naughton and English. Think you are being a bit dramatic with the Lipinski and Young comment.
    I don't think so. I'm saying they might want to hear unofficial offers from their manager now. If I thought my head coach didn't believe in me, or the position I play, I'd be receptive to the opposite message. Human nature really.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This season's scapegoat perhaps? Perfect chance to slot him into Sucklings position last week, which he has done reasonably well in the past and we put him on the ball. Now he's dropped quicker than a hot potato.
    Wait for the SA media and clubs to start rumours that this management of Williams is because he's receptive to heading back home to either SA club.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of contract so we'll get **** all for him too.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams getting dropped, yet Hayes/Young retaining their spots is madness.

Persisting with all of Lloyd, Dickson, Dunkley & Wallis as our mid sized high forwards is madness.

Trengove playing to help English is good.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Out of contract so we'll get **** all for him too.
    True story today. I was thinking of Williams today with the Apple Music thingy making noise. It was exactly, Fleetwood Mac, Dreams. Precise lyric, 'players only love you when they're playing'. And I thought, at least backing Williams into play for a decent run (which I thought we were doing) will help the team and help Sam Power secure a long term contract from him. Now I understand FMac were talking about something different altogether, but the words are true. Only dropping Williams after that abortion of a game last week, ain't gunna help him love Power from the VFL.

12. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Team looks good. Trengove in for some bash and crash in the middle and Naughton to shore up the defense, Wood to a flank is a better move. Would like to see Schache CHF and Gowers coming out of the square full steam and the resting ruckman slipping in behind him for the long bomb. Bring back a bit of old school positioning. McLean on ball is another nice move. If all these happen we should put up a good show. We will go well on Optus Stadium. It’s the same size as the MCG isn’t it. If so lots of space for our small boys as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Team looks good. Trengove in for some bash and crash in the middle and Naughton to shore up the defense, Wood to a flank is a better move. Would like to see Schache CHF and Gowers coming out of the square full steam and the resting ruckman slipping in behind him for the long bomb. Bring back a bit of old school positioning. McLean on ball is another nice move. If all these happen we should put up a good show. We will go well on Optus Stadium. It’s the same size as the MCG isn’t it. If so lots of space for our small boys as well
    Not quite, it’s closer to Marvel-
    Optus is 165x130
    MCG is 161x138
    Marvel is 160x129

Post Thanks / Like

Rumours of Bailey returning to Adelaide started a long time ago.

Word is he has become closer to Libba since Dahl and co have left....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Williams is gone if that's an omission. He was the only problem last week.......apparently.
    Williams was really pathetic last week with 4 disposals to half time and 9 for the match. Should never have come in in the first place and Trengove should have been there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Their 'natural' positions will be like this:

Backs: Naughton
    Mids: Wood, jj, Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel, Hunter, Mclean, Gowers, Lloyd, Bont, Libba, Dickson, Williams, Hayes, Richards, Wallis, Smith
    Rucks: English
    Forwards: Schache

AFL footy is a compromise 'cos in a 'best of the best' environment everyone has to find a way to make a position their own - even if they grew up playing as a mid, they might just have to become a half-back to make it.

Saying the problem isn't the players it is the structure is just BS. We got smashed in the contest after being the leading clearance team going into the Carlton game...if that was OK for 4-weeks - including a game vs the Collingwood hype-machine midfield - then why was it not OK vs the Blues? 'Cos our effort SUCKED and our attitude SUCKED and we are all giving them a cop out by saying "Excuse me, but little Johnny plays best when he is on the left half forward flank and gets 2 runs in the centre each quarter and if one of the other players in there does all the defensive work to allow him to run forward and use his skills...'

It isn't u12's. Play where you are put and FIGHT THROUGH IT. Get a strong starting point vs your opponent, be first to the ball and make an impact on the game. Whether you are playing on ball or back pocket doesn't actually matter at all. And if you think it does then I don't think you understand what it takes to be a successful player.

Could the coaches have done a better job? Well, I don't know what they were trying to do 'cos I wasn't in the meetings. But I am pretty sure they had a plan - and we will never know if it would have worked or not because the players effort SUCKED!
    You make good points, I used to get really annoyed with team members who can only play one area of the ground and seem to lose understanding of the fundamentals of the game when played elsewhere. It's pet hate from my playing days I suppose.

But, what we dished up last weekend wasn't just players losing understanding of the fundamentals and not trying. It was also hubris at the selection table and a lack of respect for the structure our opposition was clearly going to play. The way we lined up, after replacing two seasoned veterans and in all honesty two excellent contributors to date put us in a position where less and less things could go wrong for us if we wanted to be competitive.

We placed a lot of faith in our midfield last week, and given our midfield had been completely on-song for the four weeks prior and doing absolutely everything right (with exception to kicking goals) for all intents and purposes, we had reason to. But, to leave the rest of the team entirely exposed due to personnel and player positioning was completely unacceptable. It was clear that if we didn't win the midfield battle we had no other line of defence, but we chose to ignore that and we paid a massive price.

To me the best approach would be to pull the midfield in as a group and reaffirm the things they had done well to date prior to last week's game, and make it really clear any future performances resembling what we saw wouldn't be tolerated.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.