Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  92
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee R6, Vs Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Excellent post (as usual MJP)

I saw it the same as you, and said, the players need to take responsibility.

Carlton just worked harder than us and wanted a win.

We may carry on that we were short in the backline (which I think we were), but Carlton have been last in the AFL for taking marks inside 50, and we allowed their mids to feed them.
    We had been the worst or second worst for conceding marks within our forward fifty prior to the game last weekend, which possibly would have given an indication Carlton's fortunes had a fair chance of changing - especially when we left out two handy experienced defenders due to injury.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't think so. I'm saying they might want to hear unofficial offers from their manager now. If I thought my head coach didn't believe in me, or the position I play, I'd be receptive to the opposite message. Human nature really.
    If I'm right in my understanding of what you're saying (re the Hamling situation), a guy plays the last half of the season, wins a flag and then decides to tell lies about really needing to go home to meet his view of family commitments all because he wasn't played for the first half of the season after being picked up as a DFA when nobody else wanted him, and possibly breaking draft and trading regulations? If you break it down, that's what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Wait for the SA media and clubs to start rumours that this management of Williams is because he's receptive to heading back home to either SA club.
    It's a genuinely unsophisticated and funny industry. The SA media and clubs get a handle that the player wants to leave because he thinks he is being mistreated for whatever reason, and that clubs punish players for wanting to do whatever they think is best for their careers, rather than win games.

What a time to be alive.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams was really pathetic last week with 4 disposals to half time and 9 for the match. Should never have come in in the first place and Trengove should have been there.
    His form was more than good enough at Footscray to earn a promotion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Our current named forward line is diabolical. Bont at full forward, gowers CHF, dunk, dick, Lloyd and Hayes.

Still taking the proverbial at the selection table, after last years early round selections, something stinks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    His form was more than good enough at Footscray to earn a promotion.
    There were better players than him.

In any case he did not play a good game last week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

To me the best approach would be to pull the midfield in as a group and reaffirm the things they had done well to date prior to last week's game, and make it really clear any future performances resembling what we saw wouldn't be tolerated.
    That looks like what has been done.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

(We are talking about Williams here).

1/. Pretty sure he was drafted primarily on the back of one 50+ possession game at SANFL u18 level.
    2/. We ALL enjoyed his work last year as a half-back.
    3/. He was pretty poor last week and I have trouble making a case for his continued selection.

Coaching is tricky. When do you exclude based on performance and when do you include DESPITE performance? Bailey has played twice this year and (to me) he didn't really 'deserve' either opportunity. But he was included. Both times his performance was pretty disappointing and he was immediately left out. Other players with similar 'poor form' have been retained in similar situations.

I know this might seem like playing favorites but could it be as simple as managing different personalities in different ways? I (obviously) don't know the kid however MAYBE the coach knows him well enough to understand what he is able to do/what he responds too? I know that if we pick the team based on who might or might not leave at season's end then we are in real trouble so I am not exactly sure when that became such a major issue...to me, Williams has been (overall) treated pretty well and young players going in and out of the side is part of their development. Generally it takes 20-30 games before they get 'set'.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too bothered about Williams being dropped. Like everyone else I am very excited about what he could become but his form this year has been poor to shithouse. Both JLT games he was unimpressive and turned the ball over, both AFL games he has struggled to get uninvolved and barely given a highlight. In his defence he has spent the whole pre season apparently training with the mids then round 1 plays as a tallish defender and last week who knows what, but even so his performances haven't been great.

At the moment he is tracking like Bailey Dale did last year. Very exciting finish to a season, annointed our player to watch by our supporters, limp start to the next season.

As for the changes as a whole I think this is a combo of backing the same 22 (minus one positional adjustment) to redeem themselves, especially with no VFL game last week for the fringe group to either push for selection again (Lipinski) or prove themselves (Schache).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes mjp, bornadog, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not too bothered about Williams being dropped. Like everyone else I am very excited about what he could become but his form this year has been poor to shithouse. Both JLT games he was unimpressive and turned the ball over, both AFL games he has struggled to get uninvolved and barely given a highlight. In his defence he has spent the whole pre season apparently training with the mids then round 1 plays as a tallish defender and last week who knows what, but even so his performances haven't been great.

At the moment he is tracking like Bailey Dale did last year. Very exciting finish to a season, annointed our player to watch by our supporters, limp start to the next season.

As for the changes as a whole I think this is a combo of backing the same 22 (minus one positional adjustment) to redeem themselves, especially with no VFL game last week for the fringe group to either push for selection again (Lipinski) or prove themselves (Schache).
    Summed up nicely.

Sucks we had a bye last week in the VFL, but it is what it is.

Hopefully as MJP says, we can bring more effort this week, otherwise we will be thrashed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

In your opinion or just because the sectors picked others?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's only one change but it makes such a difference structurally. Trengove, both down back and also chopping out English in the ruck, makes us better in key defensive posts and also up forward, without compromising on our midfield running power and depth. The likes of Cordy, Wood and Lachie Young all go to a smaller key forward and will thus be able to intercept and assist each other out more. English up forward creates a bigger body that Hamling and Pearce will have to put some work into and not just simply double-team Naughton. It also frees up Gowers, Dickson and Lloyd to be more dangerous on lesser opponents.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know which emergency flew with the team to Perth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Does anyone know which emergency flew with the team to Perth?
    Just saw Roarke Smith on an Insta story. Do we only take one? (Roarke Smith .... seriously!).

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw Roarke Smith on an Insta story. Do we only take one? (Roarke Smith .... seriously!).
    We'll need another KPD in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo and him gonna get a quick surf in before flying back.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.