Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  48
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Gowers is great. I actually don't understand why people don't like him.

He is frustrating. But he has a go, upsets the opposition and generally makes a net positive impact. I would have said he was a core part of this current team.
    I think 'great' might be over-playing his influence.

The difference between his best & worst games, best & worst quarters and best & worst efforts is far too great to be considered great.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think 'great' might be over-playing his influence.

The difference between his best & worst games, best & worst quarters and best & worst efforts is far too great to be considered great.
    Not wrong there.

Last three games:

Disposals: 6,6,9
    Goals: 0, 2,1
    GA: 0,1,2

Back to VFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not wrong there.

Last three games:

Disposals: 6,6,9
    Goals: 0, 2,1
    GA: 0,1,2

Back to VFL.
    A goal per game average + assist per game average while blocking for Naughton?

There's nobody at VFL level capable of that. If anything, I'd play him up the ground less and leave him as a full time forward. McLean can take the occasional wing rotation Gowers seems to be taking (and Dickson the week before).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

There's nobody at VFL level capable of that. If anything, I'd play him up the ground less and leave him as a full time forward. McLean can take the occasional wing rotation Gowers seems to be taking (and Dickson the week before).
    He'd help his cause if he was a little more subtle with his picks. He's up there for frees against and has managed to get away with a few blatant ones as well, mostly in-the-backs, but that luck won't hold.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Gowers hasn't had over 10 possessions in 3 weeks and only once in 5. He's got 3.7 in that time to go with a whopping 9 tackles. I agree to an extent that he doesn't have to play a good game to be valuable but he's giving us absolutely nothing right now.
    Have to agree here, when he's on song it think he has a place but he's been well short of that for the majority of the year. Should of won the game against the G.C, misses goals he just has to kick and can make some blunders. I'm prepared to wear that if he gives us something in return but it's just not happening of late.

Having said that against the cats we need some targets that can take a mark or compete in the air. We have been caught out down at KP a few times because we just didn't have targets that could take a grab, and the cats defense would dominate us on the narrow ground. Roberts will have to play this game for some cover down back, as will Gowers up forward as we don't have anyone else who can compete. He will be judged solely on just not losing a contest and possibly causing a stoppage up forward for us to reset.
    I don't want to see Dale in the side for this game, prefer Lipinski as he as been consistently putting in good efforts in the 2's, and always seems to be getting a few tackles.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache was doing better than that and chopping out in the ruck before he was dropped. I know, go figure.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Schache was doing better than that and chopping out in the ruck before he was dropped. I know, go figure.
    Not sure if serious?

For all Gowers faults he has not had a game where he went completely missing like Schache did against Collingwood, consistently impacts packs and brings the ball to ground (something Schache doesn't do), creates space for and helps protect Naughton (something Shcache can do) and is rarely not in the contest (something Schache struggles with).

I like Schache but he has neither the consistency nor competitiveness that Gowers brings and neither does anyone else on our list that isn't already playing. Combined with mediocre at best VFL performances leaves me wondering how people can call for him to replace Gowers.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not sure if serious?

For all Gowers faults he has not had a game where he went completely missing like Schache did against Collingwood, consistently impacts packs and brings the ball to ground (something Schache doesn't do), creates space for and helps protect Naughton (something Shcache can do) and is rarely not in the contest (something Schache struggles with).

I like Schache but he has neither the consistency nor competitiveness that Gowers brings and neither does anyone else on our list that isn't already playing. Combined with mediocre at best VFL performances leaves me wondering how people can call for him to replace Gowers.
    I'm semi-serious. I understand the immediate value a player like Gowers brings and I'm prepared to acknowledge it may / does help Naughton, who only just fell into the forward role recently. I still can't shake the feeling that Gowers' worth is over-estimated. I agree that Gowers gets to more contests than Schache but his decision making and skills often let him down, so to me that kinda cancels that out. Schache has a far higher ceiling and uses the ball so much better and we should be playing him with clear instructions to create that space Naughton needs. Also opposition teams don't need to put their second best KB on Gowers, they can match him up with their best mid-sized player, so is he really contributing that much? At least Schache will take their second best tall aerialist which would assist Naughton even more on one on ones.

Schache may be a very good player for us in the future and needs games, Gowers isn't the future he fills an immediate need and hurts us with his lack of efforts. There was one example on Saturday at half forward where he made two half-hearted efforts to chase his opponents, he only made the second effort because his opponent fumbled. If he had of committed the first time he may have caused a turnover. This lack of effort is Stringer-esque and he needs to be much better at these things if he's not being really good at the others.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Roberts will have to play this game for some cover down back
    If English returns I can't see a role for Roberts. Trengove is our best matchup for Hawkins and the only other talls that make an appearance in the Geelong forward line are Stanley/Ratugolea when they aren't rucking or resting on the bench. Cordy can handle them. The rest are all smalls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    The two games he played before being dropped were terrible, and he has contributed that poor form at VFL level. We simply can't reward such weak effort with promotion.

Naughton's two best games of the year were without Schache and with Gowers playing as Naughton's foil. The combo is working right now.

On the basis of English now being ruled out I expect we have no change, although I would have loved Trengove to be able to play down back on Hawkins.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The two games he played before being dropped were terrible, and he has contributed that poor form at VFL level. We simply can't reward such weak effort with promotion.

Naughton's two best games of the year were without Schache and with Gowers playing as Naughton's foil. The combo is working right now.

On the basis of English now being ruled out I expect we have no change, although I would have loved Trengove to be able to play down back on Hawkins.
    Schache - Two games in the VFL

Casey - 15 Disposals, 5 marks, 7 Tackles - seemed to play up the ground, so no opportunity to kick goals.
    Hawks - 14 Disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals

Yes he had a shocker against the Pies, but was brilliant against Hawthorn early on. I would bring him in for all the reasons 1eyedog has pointed out.

Gowers - 6 disposals in the forward line doesn't cut it at AFL level. We are in the top 3 for inside 50s, so lots of opportunities.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Schache - Two games in the VFL

Casey - 15 Disposals, 5 marks, 7 Tackles - seemed to play up the ground, so no opportunity to kick goals.
    Hawks - 14 Disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals

Yes he had a shocker against the Pies, but was brilliant against Hawthorn early on. I would bring him in for all the reasons 1eyedog has pointed out.

Gowers - 6 disposals in the forward line doesn't cut it at AFL level. We are in the top 3 for inside 50s, so lots of opportunities.
    I've been disappointed by some of Billy's efforts lately but I don't think possession counts are high on his KPI's.

I also don't think that possessions are the key thing Schache was sent back to the VFL to work on. If his effort and attack on the ball have improved then he is a chance to return to the seniors. Like Gowers he doesn't have to have 20 possessions and take 10 marks to contribute. He needs to contest every ball he can, crash packs and prevent opposition intercept marks. If he clunks some himself and snags a few goals it's a bonus.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I've been disappointed by some of Billy's efforts lately but I don't think possession counts are high on his KPI's.

I also don't think that possessions are the key thing Schache was sent back to the VFL to work on. If his effort and attack on the ball have improved then he is a chance to return to the seniors. Like Gowers he doesn't have to have 20 possessions and take 10 marks to contribute. He needs to contest every ball he can, crash packs and prevent opposition intercept marks. If he clunks some himself and snags a few goals it's a bonus.
    I agree the possession count doesn't need to be high, but Billy's efforts the last two weeks have not been up to AFL standard. He did lay 5 tackles last week, but zero goals, and zero GA

Post Thanks / Like

Did I miss something - when was English ruled out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Did I miss something - when was English ruled out?
    I haven't seen anything either. Maybe Mofra has some inside news.