Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  48
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Heidelberg
    Posts
    3,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    I understand people not liking Gowers but don't see how you can drop him for Schache.

    For all Gowers many faults he is aggressive, always involved and works hard as a foil for Naughton to benefit from. Gowers doesn't have to be good to have a net benefit to the team.

    Schache on the other hand is meek, easily loses confidence and can dissapear from games. His spell in the VFL rather than being encouraging has been the opposite and he is by no means demanding or earning his selection back in the AFL side. I understand wanting to pump games into such a "talent" but it would be to the detriment of both Naughton and our side as a whole.

    I've always believed that if you aren't a gun key forward then you need to be an aggressive one. Naughton is both, Cordy is most definitely the latter and 2016 is an excellent example of how someone with his limited skillset can have such an impact up forward in a role they aren't suited to through sheer determination and aggression despite being less experienced and smaller than a Schache thats had two more years in the system and infintely more "talent".
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I understand people not liking Gowers but don't see how you can drop him for Schache.

    For all Gowers many faults he is aggressive, always involved and works hard as a foil for Naughton to benefit from. Gowers doesn't have to be good to have a net benefit to the team.

    Schache on the other hand is meek, easily loses confidence and can dissapear from games. His spell in the VFL rather than being encouraging has been the opposite and he is by no means demanding or earning his selection back in the AFL side. I understand wanting to pump games into such a "talent" but it would be to the detriment of both Naughton and our side as a whole.

    I've always believed that if you aren't a gun key forward then you need to be an aggressive one. Naughton is both, Cordy is most definitely the latter and 2016 is an excellent example of how someone with his limited skillset can have such an impact up forward in a role they aren't suited to through sheer determination and aggression despite being less experienced and smaller than a Schache thats had two more years in the system and infintely more "talent".
    I think what you say is fair.

    One benefit to Naughton's emergence forward (aside from the obvious ones) is we don't 'need' Schache or Boyd in the team immediately. They can earn their spot or work on their deficiencies in the VFL as required by the team.

  3. Likes josie liked this post
  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I understand people not liking Gowers but don't see how you can drop him for Schache.
    Gowers is great. I actually don't understand why people don't like him.

    He is frustrating. But he has a go, upsets the opposition and generally makes a net positive impact. I would have said he was a core part of this current team.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  5. Likes chef, S Coast Simon, Bulldog4life, Mofra liked this post
  6. #34
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Gowers hasn't had over 10 possessions in 3 weeks and only once in 5. He's got 3.7 in that time to go with a whopping 9 tackles. I agree to an extent that he doesn't have to play a good game to be valuable but he's giving us absolutely nothing right now.

  7. Likes bornadog, Cyberdoggie liked this post
  8. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    3,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Gower's positives generally outweigh his negatives but his last few weeks have been a little disappointing. He will always have some brain fade moments but I saw a couple of efforts up close on Saturday that were poor. Unfortunately I don't think we have anybody else that can play the same role at present.

  9. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    9,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    If it’s Gowers or Schache, you take Gowers every time at this point.

    Just highlights a massive hole in our list that we have so few viable forward options available to us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  10. Likes The Adelaide Connection, Mofra liked this post
  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    38,725
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Gower's positives generally outweigh his negatives but his last few weeks have been a little disappointing. He will always have some brain fade moments but I saw a couple of efforts up close on Saturday that were poor. Unfortunately I don't think we have anybody else that can play the same role at present.
    I have stuck up for Gowers, but like you watching him on Saturday, well he may as well just sat on the bench and we played 17 on the field. He must do more, otherwise he should be in the VFL.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Bloody Ablett gets let off two weeks in a row for elbows to the head. What a joke it has become, even worse than a few years ago. Christian is an absolute joke. What a little puppet he has become. Our bloke gets three weeks for a shove to the chest.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have stuck up for Gowers, but like you watching him on Saturday, well he may as well just sat on the bench and we played 17 on the field. He must do more, otherwise he should be in the VFL.
    Isn’t it funny how the inner sanctum see players , Bevos chat this week to members mentioned how Gowers has sacrificed his game for Naughton, especially the last two weeks, so as much as you say he didn’t do anything on the weekend Bevo commended him for his efforts and thinks he is doing what they want of him at the moment.
    Personally I see exactly what Bevo sees, he is intimidating the opposition, he presents and makes a defender stick to him, I actually thought he had a good game, yeah he stuffs up at times but it’s actually making space for Naughton, he runs a long way out, taking a player with him, giving Naughton more space.

    But I do see if he could just be more clean he would be more dangerous, but It was slippery and wet.
    Bring back the biff

  15. Likes Mofra, S Coast Simon liked this post
  16. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seddon
    Posts
    5,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Gowers is great. I actually don't understand why people don't like him.

    He is frustrating. But he has a go, upsets the opposition and generally makes a net positive impact. I would have said he was a core part of this current team.
    Agree with this. The only game I thought he was a liability was v Freo, where he wasn't able to halve a number of contests. Having said that, Freo are (at least they were at that point) the leading intercept team in the comp. I liked the way he fought back into the game on the weekend after not occupying Hodge or having an impact himself in the first half. Second half he was much better and he and Naughton worked better together - and you'd expect they would build on that in how they work together over time.

  17. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    I would rather Boyd or Schache kicking for goal than Gowers. He has to improve his goal kicking to stay in the team for mine, and yes I am aware of his benefits especially his aggression. Hoping Dickson becomes our goal kicking special list coach soon.

    Knowing Bevo likes what Gowers brings and he is unlikely to be dropped I would like Lipinski or Williams or Dale brought plus English if he is injury free. Smith to be rested and Hayes to be dropped (bit too fumbly although I think he will come good) and depending upon expected Geelong forward line Fletcher omitted.

  18. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    I think some fans are being a bit too negative about Schache long term, however short term, he simply cannot play until he works towards the things that got him dropped in the first place. Otherwise, what is the point? It would actually do more harm than just keeping him in.

    With Gowers, I think he is the best of a few poor options in his role. Obviously very polarising with his strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately he did end up with 3 inside 50 marks and can compete in the air at times to help out Naughts. Roarke Smith is probably my next pick in that role, that's where we are at (no disrespect to Roarke, going alright at the minute and has other roles he can play).
    Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL

    http://www.facebook.com/FootscrayBulldogs

  19. Likes Mofra liked this post
  20. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dogsville
    Posts
    8,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    My only issue with Gowers is his lack of accountability for his direct opponent and his second efforts when he is further than 30 metres out from goal. He just assumes he's not going to get the ball when he doesn't have it. Take a leaf out of the D. Morris handbook son and crack in!
    One of the great moments in life is the sense of space and time you feel between taking a hanger and touching back down.

  21. #44
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Premiership hero? I think he probably accepts his lot - hes an eker who is part of the greatest premiership in the games history
    People used to say the same thing about Liam Picken to me all the time. This is what he is. These are his limits.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  22. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 9, Vs Geelong

    I hope one of our boys cracks Ablett in the head with an elbow since it's in the rules now. Maybe bring in Swweet to see if he'll make an impact on debut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •