Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  52
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 183
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    In Bevo's Brief | Members Message (Rd9) he says we are short and it is not where we want to be. With the injury to Tim it hasn't helped. We need to address this come trade and draft time.

    Lew Young must come in and maybe even Schache
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The part where it says if it makes the Geelong crowd laugh it's legal
    Just about right

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In Bevo's Brief | Members Message (Rd9) he says we are short and it is not where we want to be. With the injury to Tim it hasn't helped. We need to address this come trade and draft time.

    Lew Young must come in and maybe even Schache
    Didn't sound like Tim was going to be available this week either.

    Lewis Young or even Sweet should play if English isn't fit.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Win a few contests. Not turnover the ball or contribute to Geelong's score outside that.
    too vague. Roberts had 9 possessions and Hawkins had 10 (averaging about 15 this year) . Everyone expected Hawkins to get goals. I expected 1 for every 3 the rest of the Geelong team got. Because thatís what he does.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How many 1 on 1ís did Fletcher win?
    To my eye Geelong rarely used Hawkins as they didnít need to, but when they did he won the ball.
    I get all of this. I do.

    But as long as we keep pointing the finger at the 'bottom' 5-6 players on our list as the reason we lost, we are going to be miserable and frustrated. 'cos no matter where we our in our development cycle, our 'bottom' players will occasionally get matched up against better opponents and they will LOSE. Or they will fumble at a crucial time. Or...you get my meaning.

    15 players in our side had less than 10 kicks on the weekend. Included in that list are Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Bont, Wood, Suckling and Crozier. They are - or SHOULD be - amongst our BEST PLAYERS.

    Geelong had 13 players who had less than 10 kicks. NOT in that group were Danger, Ablett, Stewart, Kelly, Selwood and Duncan.

    This is clearly not apples for apples, but you will find it is our BETTER players who wont kick...and the Cats best players who DO. Hawkins was among those with < 10 kicks (he had 8)...but let's excuse him as half of them were goals!

    Whatever you think of Roberts - whatever that is - he is NOT THE PROBLEM. Is holding Hawkins to four a great effort? Of course not. But Hawkins kicked dead straight as well...but he competed OK and played his role. Wood having his butt handed too him by Rohan early in the game was not OK though...but nowhere NEAR the issue created by Dunks and Jackson continually going NOWHERE with their possessions.

    We simply MUST start kicking the footy. We have to do it. Go back and watch the 2016 prelim when the handball club was in full swing. Bont, Boyd (M), Macrae, Picken, JJ, Daniel, Dahl, Bont, Biggs all with > kicks than handballs - actually Macrae was 11/14 but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

    KICK THE BALL. I feel that the mythology of the handball club has exceeded the reality of it...the 'handball club' used to KICK THE BALL...well, a helluva lot more than they do now in any case. And don't tell me they did it because of our strong forward targets - Stringer was playing like a busted, Cordy was doing next to nothing, Dickson was playing well but hardly a compelling tall target.

    KICK THE BALL.

    The problem isn't Roberts. It isn't Hayes. It isn't Young. It isn't English missing and Trengove out of position or anything else. It is that our BEST PLAYERS aren't damaging 'cos they wont kick the footy.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes chef, Mofra, Grantysghost liked this post
  7. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Kicking the ball more often sounds very nice provided you've got the personnel to do it accurately and consistently.

    Have we?
    QUALITATIVE SHEEN

  8. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Kicking the ball more often sounds very nice provided you've got the personnel to do it accurately and consistently.

    Have we?
    Well, if the likes of Macrae, Bont and Dunkley were good enough to kick the ball in the 2016 prelim, they should sure as hell be good enough to kick it now. I understand the question you are asking, but we are talking about the SAME PLAYERS.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  9. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Bont is a great kick , apparently Dunkley is as well, just not in front of goals.
    Daniels is our best but due to size it’s not long and damaging but short and safe.
    Bailey Smith lowers his eyes and from what I see will be welcomed in the future by leading talls.
    Hunter and Libber tend to float the kick which allows opposition to spoil.
    Macrae isn’t a long kick either.
    Richards tends to be the run on have a ping player like JJ.
    Would love to see Dale in the team and Suckers if he gets his kicking going but age and injury are his downfall.
    Lipinski is a good spot up kick, another we could bring in.
    Bring back the biff

  10. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In Bevo's Brief | Members Message (Rd9) he says we are short and it is not where we want to be. With the injury to Tim it hasn't helped. We need to address this come trade and draft time.

    Lew Young must come in and maybe even Schache
    This must be a recent thing, he ignored playing both Trengove and English together when he had the chance to earlier in the season.

    I agree we need to play at least one of Schache and/or Lewis Young
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  11. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This must be a recent thing, he ignored playing both Trengove and English together when he had the chance to earlier in the season.

    I agree we need to play at least one of Schache and/or Lewis Young
    The Carlton game was a terrible team sheet , Carlton went in with talls everywhere and Bevo went small.
    Bring back the biff

  12. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Speaking of us v North and the gasometer:

    https://m.facebook.com/1313506355361...pe=3&source=48

  13. #87
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In Bevo's Brief | Members Message (Rd9) he says we are short and it is not where we want to be. With the injury to Tim it hasn't helped. We need to address this come trade and draft time.

    Lew Young must come in and maybe even Schache
    Sounded like Gowers and Hayes are a big chance to be dropped.

  14. #88
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mount Martha, Victoria
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Sounded like Gowers and Hayes are a big chance to be dropped.
    Has the penny dropped?
    BB.

    Barking Bulldogs with Bite in 2019.

  15. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    too vague. Roberts had 9 possessions and Hawkins had 10 (averaging about 15 this year) . Everyone expected Hawkins to get goals. I expected 1 for every 3 the rest of the Geelong team got. Because that’s what he does.
    Hawkins recieved votes from both coaches which means both thought he had a big impact on the result of the game.

  16. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    8,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I get all of this. I do.

    But as long as we keep pointing the finger at the 'bottom' 5-6 players on our list as the reason we lost, we are going to be miserable and frustrated. 'cos no matter where we our in our development cycle, our 'bottom' players will occasionally get matched up against better opponents and they will LOSE. Or they will fumble at a crucial time. Or...you get my meaning.

    15 players in our side had less than 10 kicks on the weekend. Included in that list are Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Bont, Wood, Suckling and Crozier. They are - or SHOULD be - amongst our BEST PLAYERS.

    Geelong had 13 players who had less than 10 kicks. NOT in that group were Danger, Ablett, Stewart, Kelly, Selwood and Duncan.

    This is clearly not apples for apples, but you will find it is our BETTER players who wont kick...and the Cats best players who DO. Hawkins was among those with < 10 kicks (he had 8)...but let's excuse him as half of them were goals!

    Whatever you think of Roberts - whatever that is - he is NOT THE PROBLEM. Is holding Hawkins to four a great effort? Of course not. But Hawkins kicked dead straight as well...but he competed OK and played his role. Wood having his butt handed too him by Rohan early in the game was not OK though...but nowhere NEAR the issue created by Dunks and Jackson continually going NOWHERE with their possessions.

    We simply MUST start kicking the footy. We have to do it. Go back and watch the 2016 prelim when the handball club was in full swing. Bont, Boyd (M), Macrae, Picken, JJ, Daniel, Dahl, Bont, Biggs all with > kicks than handballs - actually Macrae was 11/14 but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

    KICK THE BALL. I feel that the mythology of the handball club has exceeded the reality of it...the 'handball club' used to KICK THE BALL...well, a helluva lot more than they do now in any case. And don't tell me they did it because of our strong forward targets - Stringer was playing like a busted, Cordy was doing next to nothing, Dickson was playing well but hardly a compelling tall target.

    KICK THE BALL.

    The problem isn't Roberts. It isn't Hayes. It isn't Young. It isn't English missing and Trengove out of position or anything else. It is that our BEST PLAYERS aren't damaging 'cos they wont kick the footy.
    How much of a mid not kicking the ball is one the mid - and how much is personnel / gameplan?

    For marking power we had Naughton who is quality but he can't do it all himself and... 186cm Gowers? They were matched against the best defence in the league with a Taylor/Stewart combo that feasts on the high ball. McLean grabbed a few F50 marks by being very shallow and avoiding their talls.

    We seemed to play pretty well when we short passed or ran the ball to the HF line and had shallow F50 entries simply because it seemed like we were very hesitant to hand the ball back to them.

    I'm not entirely sure if we had a legitimate second tall option (with Gowers playing F3) the kick/handball ratio stays as it is.
    It was when we started kicking longer and deeper in the F50 in the last quarter that they overran us. For all of Naughton's prowess, he's a 19 year old kid playing against multiple seasoned defenders and still competed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •