Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
While we are transitioning I think there is a case for playing guys like Schache and Williams more than they are being selected and for that matter Lewis Young, Lynch and Lipinski as well. We need to find out if some of these guys have a genuine future with us and we won't really know while they are playing at Footscray
(I just picked out one bit to quote but really mean everything).

I don't disagree with what you are saying - but promoting Lipinski/Williams/Schache/the man in the moon because they have potential/we need to have an extended look/whatever is very different to 'drop Hayes 'cos he is crap and play xxxxx 'cos he is better'.

I understand the angst with Williams being in and out and training mid/playing back etc but I think it is a stretch to suggest that he doesn't know WHY he is out of the team and WHAT he is supposed to be doing better. Yo-Yo'ing players NEVER works in my experience - he was already up and down once and I think he should only be promoted once he has:

1/. A clear role.
2/. Clear expectations about what he needs to do to keep it (that aren't necessarily numbers related).

The comments about the ceiling are fair, but if we REALLY, REALLY want him to be a long-term player for us then we need to be working him to a long term plan. Playing him in the AFL cos we are worried Adelaide might recruit him? Well, whatever. The coaches shouldn't be concerned with that - they should be having honest conversations, building a sustainable relationship and holding him accountable to a development plan.

I think you know I love Le Young and want him to play. But he was SPOOKED that last game he played for us (wouldn't kick inside) and I said at the time you could mount an argument his decisions with the footy COST us the game (GC)...taking the easy option and kicking to a contest doesn't upset supporters as much as 'turnovers in the corridor'...but to me they are worse because they are a failure to adhere to the plan and take away a chance to score...anyway, I read he has been doing some ruck work/forward work back at Footscray so it seems the coaches have a plan to help him...

This isn't easy. Young players develop at different rates and as long as the players are being held accountable to their measurables, well, is that bad? Schache shouldn't just play ahead of Gowers because supporters think he should - Schache should play once he fixes some of the non-competitive stuff that has plagued his career and marred his last AFL game. Gowers may be a complete moron on the field at times, but you cannot say he doesn't bring effort...what are we judging him on???