Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  49
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Extrapolate away ...
    I would think it has something to do with both training and match-day KPI's/measures based around pressure/skill ex/whatever it is the group is valuing....the guys who were left out have been missing them, the guys that have been selected have been hitting them...

Things like that are visible to the playing group and it enables them to feel 'positive' about the correlation between performance and selection.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Noted this line with curiosity from Bevo's presser; "Those four changes were no-brainers in the end as far as our philosophy goes".

Extrapolate away ...
    It’s a new philosophy, one where we take The Pie Man’s suggested changes from WOOF and just run with those.

....I’ll show myself out
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    It’s a new philosophy, one where we take The Pie Man’s suggested changes from WOOF and just run with those.

....I’ll show myself out
    And that's fine. So if we do a little bit of low level contingency planning:

1/. What happens if Trengove (assume playing back) or Cordy gets injured?
    2/. What happens if English gets injured or is having his butt handed to him by Goldstein. (And be aware, if Trengove is the answer then you also need to apply the plan for #1.
    3/. What happens if Naughton gets injured (and again, be aware, if 'Naughton back' was the answer to either of the above...).

I am all happy with the changes - no trouble - but let's not kid ourselves for a second that this team is balanced or that if things go awry we have plan b.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    And that's fine. So if we do a little bit of low level contingency planning:

1/. What happens if Trengove (assume playing back) or Cordy gets injured?
    2/. What happens if English gets injured or is having his butt handed to him by Goldstein. (And be aware, if Trengove is the answer then you also need to apply the plan for #1.
    3/. What happens if Naughton gets injured (and again, be aware, if 'Naughton back' was the answer to either of the above...).

I am all happy with the changes - no trouble - but let's not kid ourselves for a second that this team is balanced or that if things go awry we have plan b.
    Do we have players available at Footscray and in good enough form to better balance the side?

I think Lewis Young and Schache are players we should have considered, well at least one of two of them.

Could Dunkley be used as a key defender at a pinch if we did have to cover an injury? and of course Wood can play tall as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do we have players available at Footscray and in good enough form to better balance the side?

I think Lewis Young and Schache are players we should have considered, well at least one of two of them.

Could Dunkley be used as a key defender at a pinch if we did have to cover an injury? and of course Wood can play tall as well.
    ...and so it goes.

For Gowers to come out, I think either Young or Schache had to come in. Because now we are where we are...I agree 100% on the 'Wood will have to play tall' thing - he probably will/can - but this seems to be one of the things that upsets people the most.

We need a marking target to complement Naughton...but more to the point, we need a marking target for when Naughton is off resting OR if he has to go back OR if he gets injured...

Look, it *should* be OK...but match committee....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Well for it to be an unbeaten run the likes of which has never been seen it'll have to go into next year so yes it will include a premiership.

I'd also expect one Baily to win the Coleman.

And I'd prefer Smith to win the Rising Star as the Rising Sun implies they play for GC
    Norm Smith Smith

Post Thanks / Like

...and so it goes.

For Gowers to come out, I think either Young or Schache had to come in. Because now we are where we are...I agree 100% on the 'Wood will have to play tall' thing - he probably will/can - but this seems to be one of the things that upsets people the most.

We need a marking target to complement Naughton...but more to the point, we need a marking target for when Naughton is off resting OR if he has to go back OR if he gets injured...

Look, it *should* be OK...but match committee....
    But do we though?

We’ve gone deliberately small before to force our mids to lower their eyes. Some of our better games were with Picken & Dickson kicking the bulk of our score.

My/The changes were closest to like for like in some form, with the idea that Trengove would play back. I know Dale doesn’t play exactly like Gowers but a different look could be beneficial. Libba spending more time in the middle (and potentially on Higgins which is a suggestion made elsewhere that I think has merit) also appeals.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    But do we though?

We’ve gone deliberately small before to force our mids to lower their eyes. Some of our better games were with Picken & Dickson kicking the bulk of our score.

My/The changes were closest to like for like in some form, with the idea that Trengove would play back. I know Dale doesn’t play exactly like Gowers but a different look could be beneficial. Libba spending more time in the middle (and potentially on Higgins which is a suggestion made elsewhere that I think has merit) also appeals.
    I’m happy with anything and would always go with an extra runner over an extra tall - but there is a difference between a 5-minute look at a fwd group with 6xmid/small players and doing it for an extended time in the event of injury/Naughton just getting plain old beaten.

I am just trying to point out that say what you will about Gowers, he does fly at the ball in the air and plays ‘tall’...we have not really replaced him with a tall and people on here get very snippy when we kick long into a fwd line where there are no marking players...and our selected side has basically guaranteed that will happen...and lower the eyes is fine, but pressure....

Again - I’m happy enough with the changes but still think we lack balance.

9. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bont will play tall today
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Few others mentioned it - tag is a good idea. Remove their captain and a couple of others, not much going with North.
    But they will probably come out swinging today so expect some lowlights to hit their KPIs.
    And would rather they came out swinging, because we need a good test.
    Like to see Naughton moved down back, their defence lacks pace, let Lloyd and even JJ have a go down forward.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I worry about Bevo’s comments about it being a different game to past battles vs NM. We should be looking to take this game away from north by focussing pressure on their better players, not just roll the dice in head to heads. Officially worried right now.
    He did speak about this.

The context for it being different is important too. They are taking more risky kicks through the corridor in transition. Seems like we've been planning for that. I'm very confident after watching the press conference and the side we've selected.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a watershed game for us, lose and be 4-6 we are gonski, if we can't beat this Norf rabble we deserve to be gonski. We have our best 22 for the year in today, lets smash them.

Post Thanks / Like

So I think its fair to say a lot of mjp fears came to light around team selection balance and if dropping Gowers, Hayes and co will actually make a difference.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

So I think its fair to say a lot of mjp "watch outs" came to light around team selection balance and if dropping Gowers, Hayes and co will actually make a difference.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So I think its fair to say a lot of mjp "watch outs" came to light around team selection balance and if dropping Gowers, Hayes and co will actually make a difference.
    It was certainly noticeable. I changed my tip when I saw the team, it wasn't as catastrophic as the Carlton selections but it was noticebly unbalanced. That being said we seemed to leak the ball from stoppages far too easily so not sure if another bigger target up forward would have helped that much.