Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  49
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think we know exactly how Roberts would go up forward based on his skill set. Just pretending his deficiencies would magically disappear by placing him forward is not a good plan.

As for scoring, i just prefer winning our score yesterday was precisely the same as our 2016 premiership. I cared not a jot that we didn't score more heavily once the siren sounded.
    most supporters care a lot about scores. It must be bigger than the opposition total. Carlton and Geelong made a fifteen goal deficit between them. And one was the bottom team. Being occasionally competitive isn’t acceptable. And the rot goes a lot deeper than one or two players.

The simple fact is in the last 50 games you have not seen much winning. So it is time to change the mindset at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    most supporters care a lot about scores. It must be bigger than the opposition total. Carlton and Geelong made a fifteen goal deficit between them. And one was the bottom team. Being occasionally competitive isn’t acceptable. And the rot goes a lot deeper than one or two players.

The simple fact is in the last 50 games you have not seen much winning. So it is time to change the mindset at the club.
    That's exactly when YHF said. The point is you can do it multiple ways it doesn't have to be scoring 130 points it can be by restricting them to 50

Post Thanks / Like

Or in the case of GWS vs. Carlton, both!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Out:
    Lachie Young

I like him and see what the coaches see in him. A composed good ball user who i aggressive and able to play on many types. I think he will be good enough, but he isn't yet.
    In:
    Bailey Williams

Needs to play. One of the best talents on our list imo and yet spends the entire season in the VFL or playing weird roles in the ones. Get him in and the get the ball in his hands.

Out:
    Will Hayes

I like his effort, but that's it. I just don't understand what the end game with him is that we are hoping for. He has no weapons, is thoroughly mediocre in every area and is basically a worse version of Lachie Hunter as a hard running link man. I just don't know why we are investing these games into him.
    In:
    Patrick Lipinski

Slower than Hayes, but similiarly naturally finds the ball and is a better user. I would be looking at trying to get he and Mclean to try and work up the ground and try to replicate Hayes running ability.

Out:
    Billy Gowers

I defend him all week and that's what he dishes up? I think he is more important than the player he he needs to go to the VFL and be forced to earn his spot back after indifferent at best form.
    In:
    Bailey Dale

Natural forward who is good in the air and attacking with his ball use. Has earnt his spot back in the side.

Out:
    Fletcher Roberts

Too small to play on the real bigs and too slow to play on anyone else. His role is to do just enough to allow a teammate to come over the top. That's not working. 51 games and a premiership Medal is pretty impressive for someone of his ability.
    In:
    Tim English

Frees up Trengove to play on Brown. Gives us some aerial presence around the ground. If fit must come in.

Out:
    Easton Wood

Can't see this happening but it needs to. Was a deadset liability yesterday, if you bring his role all the way back to the basics as a defensive stopper who just has to be safe with the ball and he still stuff it up then that's it. If this seasons form continues does he get another contract? Has been a mediocre to poor AFL player for 3 seasons now.
    In:
    Lewis Young

Reward for good form in the VFL. Potentially allows Cordy or Trengove or even himself to play a bit forward and help Naughton out. Backup ruck. If English doesn't get up is my inclusion for Roberts and put Cordy on Brown.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Thanks bulldogtragic, GVGjr, KT31, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, hujsh, ReLoad, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really well thought out post. Thanks for the effort Soupa.

And I agree.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see Sucking playing this week looked sore indeed. Hasn't had much luck at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I can't see Sucking playing this week looked sore indeed. Hasn't had much luck at all.
    Calves again, has had a lot of feet/leg trouble.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gowers will continue to play until Schache can force him out. Linpinksi/Dale play a totally different role to him.

Dale in for Hayes who should never play AFL again( bevo is more than likely to play him again though). He can roam the flanks and help with connections and hopefully take his opportunity at goal when it comes. The Dale that kicked 4 against Port is a very gifted player indeed.

Young in for Young, he is 2 years ahead of him in development It's been absolutely ridiculous that Lachie has been played ahead of him. He must fly for his marks, we cant have another defender looking to punch the ball back into the corridor. It sounds like he has been competitive the last few weeks let's give him a month of footy like Hayes and Young have been gifted.

Williams in for Suckling if injured, is an AFL quality player been solid in the VFL and deserves another crack.

Expecting English to miss another so Roberts survives and let's be honest there is 0 chance of Wood being dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

we will not know until we try it. And no one has done anything to be pleased with on the forward line in years. Look at Saturday , many of Geelongs 21 goals were generated up the ground.

The highlight of the Dogs scoring in the last 50 games was a few bags of 4, and Schache getting 4 and Naughton getting 5 this year.

In 2015 there were 17 times our forwards kicked 4 or more goals. 13 of the games that year had more goals than yesterday.

Always preferred watching big scoring to one-percenters and defensive pressure and whatever.
    think you are selling Naughton short here. He is a long term prospect and will continue to develop as a forward (he kicked another 2 on Saturday night). In one sentence you state that you want stability and players to play in their designated positions then you argue Roberts to be played as a forward (he may have been drafted as a forward but as others have stated has shown little, if anything, as a forward). We need to stick with our current forward set up (with the exception of Hayes (not sure what his role has been)) and maybe include Schache once he finds some form.

Looking forward to seeing Dale get selected this week.

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    think you are selling Naughton short here. He is a long term prospect and will continue to develop as a forward (he kicked another 2 on Saturday night). In one sentence you state that you want stability and players to play in their designated positions then you argue Roberts to be played as a forward (he may have been drafted as a forward but as others have stated has shown little, if anything, as a forward). We need to stick with our current forward set up (with the exception of Hayes (not sure what his role has been)) and maybe include Schache once he finds some form.

Looking forward to seeing Dale get selected this week.
    my comment was about the team performance, no one is selling Naughton short. In fact the comment clearly says he has been a glimmer of hope in a grossly underperforming forward line in the last few years. Grossly underperforming.

our ability to score has steadily disappeared since 2015, and I am not convinced the problem is simply a lack of ability.

I will give a clear example from the Geelong game.

As everyone knows Hawkins has kicked over 300 goals in the last five and a half seasons. In successive weeks last year he kicked 7 goals, being approximately half of Geelong s score in that fortnight. A true power forward. On Saturday he had an average day with only 20% .

He was constantly using hand signals to his midfielders and other forwards so everyone knew what he was going to do. They coordinated brilliantly with moves that both gave him the ball and opened space for others.

That is not a part of the Dogs game that I have noticed.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my comment was about the team performance, no one is selling Naughton short. In fact the comment clearly says he has been a glimmer of hope in a grossly underperforming forward line in the last few years. Grossly underperforming.

our ability to score has steadily disappeared since 2015, and I am not convinced the problem is simply a lack of ability.

As everyone knows Hawkins has kicked over 300 goals in the last five and a half seasons. In successive weeks last year he kicked 7 goals, being approximately half of Geelong s score in that fortnight. A true power forward. On Saturday he had an average day with only 20% .

He was constantly using hand signals to his midfielders and other forwards so everyone knew what he was going to do. They coordinated brilliantly with moves that both gave him the ball and opened space for others.

Who should have played on Hawkins?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Your point being? We don't have a power forward similar to Hawkins, at the moment. However we do have one in the making, as you have stated, that being Naughton (may play a different style but will be our 'power' forward nonetheless). We just need to be patient for him to develop and be more consistent (to be honest i think he has been reasonably consistent. We are currently very reliant on Naughton in the forward line.

What we do need is a few more decent lieutenants that complement Naughton. We are relying on Gowers to be our 2nd tall option at the moment. Gowers in reality should be a 3rd or 4th option. Hence we need to see Schache continue to develop and be that option moving forward.

I don't believe, as you stated earlier, that Fletcher Roberts is the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Responding to: Out:
    Fletcher Roberts
    Too small to play on the real bigs and too slow to play on anyone else. His role is to do just enough to allow a teammate to come over the top. That's not working. 51 games and a premiership Medal is pretty impressive for someone of his ability.

In the last 2 weeks the opposition full forwards have taken 4 marks each and kicked only 6 of their team’s 32 goals. Considering that one is in consideration for best full forward over the last 5 years (with over 300 goals including numerous bags of 7) that is barely an average return. I humbly suggest that something is working . what we need to find out is why did the opposition get their other 26 goals.

I am not convinced that anyone is even looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts

In the last 2 weeks the opposition full forwards have taken 4 marks each and kicked only 6 of their team’s 32 goals. Considering that one is in consideration for best full forward over the last 5 years (with over 300 goals including numerous bags of 7) that is barely an average return. I humbly suggest that something is working . what we need to find out is why did the opposition get their other 26 goals.

Hipwood might have had 4 marks but he also had 2.5 as a key forward in the wet. Hawkins is not so great that keeping him to only 4 goals is an amazing achievement to cheer about. If he looked competent last night but give up 4 goals you might have a case but he clearly did not.

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts

Given most on here are suggesting the likes of Young & Wood also depart it probably suggests the defensive group are struggling.

Out of interest how many 1 on 1 contests were Roberts & Hawkins in on Saturday? How many were won by Tom? Understand where both are at as footballers, but given Fletch is into his 8th year on the list it's highly unlikely he will ever be able to play the role you would hope a 6'5" defender can.