Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  49
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While we are transitioning I think there is a case for playing guys like Schache and Williams more than they are being selected and for that matter Lewis Young, Lynch and Lipinski as well. We need to find out if some of these guys have a genuine future with us and we won't really know while they are playing at Footscray
    (I just picked out one bit to quote but really mean everything).

I don't disagree with what you are saying - but promoting Lipinski/Williams/Schache/the man in the moon because they have potential/we need to have an extended look/whatever is very different to 'drop Hayes 'cos he is crap and play xxxxx 'cos he is better'.

I understand the angst with Williams being in and out and training mid/playing back etc but I think it is a stretch to suggest that he doesn't know WHY he is out of the team and WHAT he is supposed to be doing better. Yo-Yo'ing players NEVER works in my experience - he was already up and down once and I think he should only be promoted once he has:

1/. A clear role.
    2/. Clear expectations about what he needs to do to keep it (that aren't necessarily numbers related).

The comments about the ceiling are fair, but if we REALLY, REALLY want him to be a long-term player for us then we need to be working him to a long term plan. Playing him in the AFL cos we are worried Adelaide might recruit him? Well, whatever. The coaches shouldn't be concerned with that - they should be having honest conversations, building a sustainable relationship and holding him accountable to a development plan.

I think you know I love Le Young and want him to play. But he was SPOOKED that last game he played for us (wouldn't kick inside) and I said at the time you could mount an argument his decisions with the footy COST us the game (GC)...taking the easy option and kicking to a contest doesn't upset supporters as much as 'turnovers in the corridor'...but to me they are worse because they are a failure to adhere to the plan and take away a chance to score...anyway, I read he has been doing some ruck work/forward work back at Footscray so it seems the coaches have a plan to help him...

This isn't easy. Young players develop at different rates and as long as the players are being held accountable to their measurables, well, is that bad? Schache shouldn't just play ahead of Gowers because supporters think he should - Schache should play once he fixes some of the non-competitive stuff that has plagued his career and marred his last AFL game. Gowers may be a complete moron on the field at times, but you cannot say he doesn't bring effort...what are we judging him on???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Mofra, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Basically I think our mids are better than theirs and if given an equal opportunity will beat them and we will win. Containment will flow on from being better.
    That's all fair enough. I just think our season so far features good wins/performances against 'good' teams...and bad ones against lesser teams. For North to beat us:

Brown has to kick goals.
    Higgins has to win the footy/kick inside 50m.
    Cunnington has to win clearances.
    (You could add Ziebell as he is in good form but we cant worry about them all).

We need clear plans for all 3. This game is a non-negotiable win and to me leaving it up to our mids - who didn't bring effort against a lesser midfield in Carlton - has disaster written all over it. Have a plan for the key forward, shut down one inside (Cunnington) and one outside (Higgins) and if Kane Turner (or someone else) jumps up and kicks 7 in a career best game, well, fine...but the ones we know about should not be allowed to get us even for a single second.

We played well last week. That doesn't matter this week - this week we have to WIN.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think you know I love Le Young and want him to play. But he was SPOOKED that last game he played for us (wouldn't kick inside) and I said at the time you could mount an argument his decisions with the footy COST us the game (GC)...taking the easy option and kicking to a contest doesn't upset supporters as much as 'turnovers in the corridor'...but to me they are worse because they are a failure to adhere to the plan and take away a chance to score...anyway, I read he has been doing some ruck work/forward work back at Footscray so it seems the coaches have a plan to help him...

This isn't easy. Young players develop at different rates and as long as the players are being held accountable to their measurables, well, is that bad? Schache shouldn't just play ahead of Gowers because supporters think he should - Schache should play once he fixes some of the non-competitive stuff that has plagued his career and marred his last AFL game. Gowers may be a complete moron on the field at times, but you cannot say he doesn't bring effort...what are we judging him on???
    Le Young - getting him into the contest means he has to kick more, and we desperately need someone who can play second ruck in the absence of Trengove playing predominantly back. It's a good move and TBH from what I've seen at VFL level he's bringing more attack on the ball right now than Schache.

Gowers is aggressive, it's more than just effort he brings that I'm happy with - lus he hits the scoreboard which is clearly something we need. For a guy who was one the rookie list and no certainty to even debut 18 months ago he's ahead of where we could reasonably expect IMO.

My preference is to play McLean further up the ground as he seems better suited there than in the F50, we have Dale who has shown real promise in the HF role and who is now hitting the scoreboard at VFL level, he's ready to come in.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    My preference is to play McLean further up the ground as he seems better suited there than in the F50, we have Dale who has shown real promise in the HF role and who is now hitting the scoreboard at VFL level, he's ready to come in.
    But where does McLean move up too? There is a bit of a log-jam further up the ground and of all of the players in there, he seems to make the best fist out of playing a permanent role in the forward line...

It is good to hear that Dale is playing well in the VFL because 2018 was a real wasted year for him in terms of 'tangible' improvement...I mean, he might have gotten better but he kept it pretty well under wraps - a horrific night game against Port I think comes to mind where it appeared as if he had never played a game before in his life! We all know he's better than he showed in 2018 - but it is the same thing with Williams this year - individual improvement is not always a linear track.

Post Thanks / Like

I sorta feel that Young hasn't been right/confident since that GWS game a few years ago.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

But where does McLean move up too? There is a bit of a log-jam further up the ground and of all of the players in there, he seems to make the best fist out of playing a permanent role in the forward line...

It is good to hear that Dale is playing well in the VFL because 2018 was a real wasted year for him in terms of 'tangible' improvement...I mean, he might have gotten better but he kept it pretty well under wraps - a horrific night game against Port I think comes to mind where it appeared as if he had never played a game before in his life! We all know he's better than he showed in 2018 - but it is the same thing with Williams this year - individual improvement is not always a linear track.
    Wing, given like most I think Hayes needs a spell.
    Dale can also rotate on the wing to give McLean a chop out and Toby does seem to have his moments in getting the ball for shallow F50 entries, I'm a McLean fan but I'm not convinced he contributes for 120 minutes when playing permanent forward.

If Suckling is out due injury, that presents a challenge but Williams has been playing behind the ball at VFL level and should know our system well to slot straight back in even though Suckling has been thrown around a bit.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I sorta feel that Young hasn't been right/confident since that GWS game a few years ago.
    He's only 5 months younger than Lachie Young and is clearly a project player but I've been surprised/impressed with his work as a mobile shortish ruckman. The fact that he can judge the ball in flight is a real attribute. I do wonder how he'd go if exposed to forwardline work at the highest level and think he'll get his chance this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Out:

Gowers - Last two games 14 disposals in total and 1 goal. He is there to kick goals and is not doing it.

Hayes - At this stage, he is just not up to AFL standard

In: Dale - replaces Gowers, has been kicking goals in VFL

Le Young: We need another tall and he is showing good form in VFL.

If English is fit he comes in and Roberts makes way for Trengove to go back.

I could make a case for Young to go out for Williams, but not sure it will happen. If Suckling is out then Williams comes in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

(I just picked out one bit to quote but really mean everything).

I don't disagree with what you are saying - but promoting Lipinski/Williams/Schache/the man in the moon because they have potential/we need to have an extended look/whatever is very different to 'drop Hayes 'cos he is crap and play xxxxx 'cos he is better'.

I understand the angst with Williams being in and out and training mid/playing back etc but I think it is a stretch to suggest that he doesn't know WHY he is out of the team and WHAT he is supposed to be doing better. Yo-Yo'ing players NEVER works in my experience - he was already up and down once and I think he should only be promoted once he has:

1/. A clear role.
    2/. Clear expectations about what he needs to do to keep it (that aren't necessarily numbers related).

The comments about the ceiling are fair, but if we REALLY, REALLY want him to be a long-term player for us then we need to be working him to a long term plan. Playing him in the AFL cos we are worried Adelaide might recruit him? Well, whatever. The coaches shouldn't be concerned with that - they should be having honest conversations, building a sustainable relationship and holding him accountable to a development plan.

I'm not saying all of Lynch, Greene, Lewis Young, Lipiniski etc etc need to be picked each week but I don't want to get to the end of the season with players coming out of contract or attracting interest from other clubs because they can't get a game in the seniors and not really know if they have the ability to become regular senior players in the future with us.
    We've had Roarke Smith for example on the list for a number of years now and I don't think anyone can put their hand on their heart and say yes he is good enough to play senior football. I don't think we can we really finish the season with too many question marks on players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We've had Roarke Smith for example on the list for a number of years now and I don't think anyone can put their hand on their heart and say yes he is good enough to play senior football. I don't think we can we really finish the season with too many question marks on players.
    I'll go against the grain here, I think he's shown glimpses but no way he's close to Duryea as a defender.

I actually do think he's shown a little promise as a defensive forward and it is a role we could fill. It's hard to imagine how he'd look without two knee recos.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewy Young's the closest thing we have to a budding Hamling replacement, with (on paper) more strings to his bow which should suit Bevo down to the ground in theory.

There's also the added benefit of being able to deploy Trengove and Naughton as we choose rather than as we're forced to.

He's clocked up all of 11 games so of course there'll be more growing pains but we're suffering through those with others so why not a guy who'll make us infinitely more dangerous once he acclimates properly.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Lewy Young's the closest thing we have to a budding Hamling replacement, with (on paper) more strings to his bow which should suit Bevo down to the ground in theory.

There's also the added benefit of being able to deploy Trengove and Naughton as we choose rather than as we're forced to.

He's clocked up all of 11 games so of course there'll be more growing pains but we're suffering through those with others so why not a guy who'll make us infinitely more dangerous once he acclimates properly.
    I think that’s what frustrates people when the likes of Hayes or Roberts are getting picked. Yeah, those two playing aren’t the difference between winning and losing right now, but they’re being picked ahead of younger players with more potential that may become difference makers long term.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'll go against the grain here, I think he's shown glimpses but no way he's close to Duryea as a defender.

I actually do think he's shown a little promise as a defensive forward and it is a role we could fill. It's hard to imagine how he'd look without two knee recos.
    I've actually suggested his name as a potential inclusion a couple of times but if we get to the end of the season and he isn't given more than a couple of games I don't know how we can keep him on the list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually suggested his name as a potential inclusion a couple of times but if we get to the end of the season and he isn't given more than a couple of games I don't know how we can keep him on the list.
    I guess we need to decide where he shows promise before we come to that - is it as a smaller, lockdown defender? They're in short supply (pardon the pun), Daniel is a rebounder not lockdown and Doc is in the last years of his career. We go with JJ?

We do lack a defensive / hard nosed forward but I really like Wally in that role even if Bevo wants to keep playing him up the ground. He's a smart player and seems to just get tot he right spot unopposed once per game at a time you don't expect him to.

Post Thanks / Like

4 good changes. Bevos been reading woof.
    The curse is dead.

18. Likes Eastdog, bornadog, DOG GOD, N/A liked this post