Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  25
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 11, Vs West Coast Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Can someone please tell me what this sacrificial role that Gowers plays? I must be missing something. I don't see him playing on anyone of note as he gets the number 6 defender each week.
    Not sure about the number 6 defender - the best key back usually goes to Naughton and Gowers gets the number 2. As a result Gowers is almost always giving away size and strength to his opponent.

My understanding of his role is to provide an aerial contest and help block for Naughton where possible. Obviously most feel he hasn't been playing his role as well as we would hope with too few positive impacts on the game.

He's never going to get 20 possessions, 10 marks and kick 5 goals, but if he can do the unseen things expected of him by the coach and have a positive influence though score involvements and forward pressure, and of course keep the Billy head shake moments to 1 or 2 a game, then I think he plays most weeks in the absence of a better option.

2. Likes Mofra, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure about the number 6 defender - the best key back usually goes to Naughton and Gowers gets the number 2. As a result Gowers is almost always giving away size and strength to his opponent.

My understanding of his role is to provide an aerial contest and help block for Naughton where possible. Obviously most feel he hasn't been playing his role as well as we would hope with too few positive impacts on the game.

He's never going to get 20 possessions, 10 marks and kick 5 goals, but if he can do the unseen things expected of him by the coach and have a positive influence though score involvements and forward pressure, and of course keep the Billy head shake moments to 1 or 2 a game, then I think he plays most weeks in the absence of a better option.
    Agree with all this - we definitely need a genuine forward who has a bit of swagger and Gowers has that. Aside from Lloyd and the developing Naughton, do we have any other genuine forwards on the list? Dickson is slowing down and Fergus needs to get his match fitness up. Caverra showed signs at VFL level but even then he was a mid who was thrown forward to try and give AFL scouts an idea he has a role at the highest level.

Gowers would be better off playing that medium role but in the absence of a genuine no 2 tall target has been playing outside his weight division.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

last year Gowers played a different role.

In rounds 14 and 15 last year he had 22 and 19 possessions, that’s 41 in two games. And 5 goals. Excellent performances.

He showed that he had talent .

This year he has a different role, with a maximum of 8 possessions in his last 4 games, and 46 possessions in 6 games. Like McLean his new role is to have half as many possessions as his proven talent leads one to expect.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced Gowers' is what we need, his bads outweigh his goods IMO. He's not much more than an athletic footballer who is not good enough to have a role other than blocking / providing an aerial contest and I agree that this is what he does and all he does. It's just too negative. He isn't a defensive forward because his pressure inside F50 does not set the world on fire, he's also not overly quick so doesn't get to a heap of contests but it is interesting that we keep persisting. His role is certainly by design and it looks like he has taken the role Wood was being groomed for.

I'd rather Schache come in and I know he doesn't deserve it but does Gowers? Gardner? Surely Schache is capable of competing in the air and 'blocking' for Naughton. His ceiling is also far higher than Gowers I'm not sure why he's not getting the exposure. I know, broken record right...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not convinced Gowers' is what we need, his bads outweigh his goods IMO. He's not much more than an athletic footballer who is not good enough to have a role other than blocking / providing an aerial contest and I agree that this is what he does and all he does. It's just too negative. He isn't a defensive forward because his pressure inside F50 does not set the world on fire, he's also not overly quick so doesn't get to a heap of contests but it is interesting that we keep persisting. His role is certainly by design and it looks like he has taken the role Wood was being groomed for.

I'd rather Schache come in and I know he doesn't deserve it but does Gowers? Gardner? Surely Schache is capable of competing in the air and 'blocking' for Naughton. His ceiling is also far higher than Gowers I'm not sure why he's not getting the exposure. I know, broken record right...
    I think Schache lacks the physicality and aggression to effectively block. Gowers does at least have this.

Post Thanks / Like

Final Team

IN
    Ryan Gardner, Billy Gowers, Lachie Young

OUT
    Ed Richards (Omitted), Hayden Crozier (Injured), Mitch Wallis (Injured)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Final Team

IN
    Ryan Gardner, Billy Gowers, Lachie Young

OUT
    Ed Richards (Omitted), Hayden Crozier (Injured), Mitch Wallis (Injured)
    Lachie Young in suggests Gardner plays forward I guess. Thought Dickson would come in but still a chance as the travelling emergency.

I wonder if Wallis out will see McLean get more midfield time as per many on heres wish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Agree with all this - we definitely need a genuine forward who has a bit of swagger and Gowers has that. Aside from Lloyd and the developing Naughton, do we have any other genuine forwards on the list? Dickson is slowing down and Fergus needs to get his match fitness up. Caverra showed signs at VFL level but even then he was a mid who was thrown forward to try and give AFL scouts an idea he has a role at the highest level.

Gowers would be better off playing that medium role but in the absence of a genuine no 2 tall target has been playing outside his weight division.
    Bontempelli? Could be the best CHF going around.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If we could replicate his influence in the centre then absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

Understand we have a couple of injuries, but Lachie Young looked a fair way off the pace just 2 weeks ago... not sure he's break has been long enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Bonts best comes out when he plays in the midfield. I love it when he drifts forward from the midfield though and has a big influence on games the game v the Saints late last year in that 3rd quarter comes to mind. Been very good this year but he can’t be the only one to carry the load.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

14. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god Billy is back, only forward with some aggression. The hate on here is beyond belief.

16. Thanks dadsgirl16 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Thank god Billy is back, only forward with some aggression. The hate on here is beyond belief.
    Need to get some confidence back Billy. I hope he goes well on Sunday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lachie Young must be the luckiest player in the AFL. I still think Bevo goes too young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Fully agree with you GG. I still look at the Richmond game and it was clear he was blocking fir Arron. It’s just over shadowed by a few silly things and brain fades.

But that’s what we all loved about Brian Lake as well.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post