Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  25
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 11, Vs West Coast Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ed played one of his worse games. Recently he has developed the fumbles.
    Richards was excellent last year in his debut season as a defender. Has never looked really comfortable further forward.
    The same could be said of Toby Maclean who looks lost at half forward after playing well previously in the centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Considering playing Young at the highest level against GWS probably broke him and set him back immensely, I think we need to be careful. I agree that we need to change things up down back and am happy to give him a shot, but since his cracking first couple of games, he's been a shambles at senior level in his few chances. We've clearly been trying to build him back up. We need to be sure he's ready physically and mentally for the challenge. Darling and Kennedy may not be the week for it.
    I understand what you're saying, and I've felt the same but think perhaps I'm now taking a point of view that he'll be close to 21 at the end of the season and I think he'll need to be exposed to the pressures of senior footy again soon to hopefully set him up for a genuine tilt next year. Sure, he could have a few shockers, but if he actually puts in some really good performances he'll go into next year knowing he can compete at the level which will be a really valuable thing.

As far as next week goes I guess we can throw him forward and Naughton back if it all went tits up against Kennedy and Darling, plus we have coverage with Trengove and Cordy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we just wind back the clock a day or three when we were all happy about the changes that mean the Hayes, Williams, Dale, Fletcher, Gowers, English, Young and Lipa were all swapping between afl and vfl footy.

What are we actually going to DO about McGovern, Hurn and Shepherd? Because if we can’t solve that, whatever we do with Richards, Le Young and Bob the Builder is not important. Their ability to control the game from the half back line is their centre of gravity and we need to take it away from them.

That said, whatever you think of Dale - and I would say his last 6 afl performances have all been pretty poor - to talk about dropping a guy after giving him just one look at it is just not good coaching (unless he has broken some kind of team based non neg in which case he has to pay the price...but I can’t imagine he has).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

We have to use the width of the ground and spread their defence better than we did against the Kangaroos, that's for sure. When we talk about keeping their half back line ineffective we need to do so from a team perspective rather than relying on particular players nullifying the likes of those you mentioned.

Possibly though, we could bring in Young and use Cordy defencively across half forward to create a contest with McGovern and bring the ball to ground. But, if we are providing the hit-up/lowered eyes short option players ignored need to work their arses off to get to the fall of the ball if we do go long, otherwise the other WCE defenders will be able to mop up and move easily.

Ultimately we can't afford to get caught stagnant and forced down the line. The team selected needs to emphasise running capability, I'd also play Suckling back to use his kicking in setting up directional play.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Possibly though, we could bring in Young and use Cordy defencively across half forward to create a contest and bring the ball to ground. Ultimately we can't afford to get caught stagnant and forced down the line.
    Is Corey capable of ignoring the game and playing with his elbow in Mcgovern’s back? Teams try the ‘dummy lead’ thing vs him all the time and it Does Not Work. Need to play with an elbow in his back and engage with him at every contest.

I think we need Cordy vs Darling but swinging him forward to play ir most important player is a great idea.

We can win this. Gotta have a plan.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a left field idea.
    Do we give Sweet a shot to go backup with English. Gives us an extra tall and would have to be a better option in the ruck the only thing is how mobile is he?
    Would he be more a liability than using undersized players in a ruck contest we are conceding.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Just a left field idea.
    Do we give Sweet a shot to go backup with English. Gives us an extra tall and would have to be a better option in the ruck the only thing is how mobile is he?
    Would he be more a liability than using undersized players in a ruck contest we are conceding.
    is Sweet a natural ruckman? If so there is nothing to lose. Would allow Dunkley, Cordy, Naughton to concentrate on what they do best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    is Sweet a natural ruckman? If so there is nothing to lose. Would allow Dunkley, Cordy, Naughton to concentrate on what they do best
    Sweet lost the ruck battle with Tom Campbell last week. I just don't think the kid is ready.

Left-field idea. Le Young comes in as a defender, we play Trengove as first ruck swapping with rests down back/on the bench, English plays forward and second ruck and with his reach he just has to stop McGovern taking intercept marks. Doesn't have to beat him, just has to stop his rebound plays.

In the elimination final we threw Cordy forward with a role of simply stopping McGovern and it helped us win. Teams that let McGovern ball-watch lose and lose badly.

That means Cordy has to battle against Kennedy and Le Young has to take Darling, or unfortunately Wood to Darling and we have Young on their resting ruck.
    Their smalls are a concern too, Ryan can do it in the air or on the ground and Rioli will probably do his best to try and stop Daniel so we have to play Suckling back so we have the second outlet from defence (in place of Crozier).

Wallis pays forward and makes Hurn accountable. Wally has actually performed defensive roles well and can hit the scoreboard.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes hujsh, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sweet lost the ruck battle with Tom Campbell last week. I just don't think the kid is ready.

Left-field idea. Le Young comes in as a defender, we play Trengove as first ruck swapping with rests down back/on the bench, English plays forward and second ruck and with his reach he just has to stop McGovern taking intercept marks. Doesn't have to beat him, just has to stop his rebound plays.

In the elimination final we threw Cordy forward with a role of simply stopping McGovern and it helped us win. Teams that let McGovern ball-watch lose and lose badly.

That means Cordy has to battle against Kennedy and Le Young has to take Darling, or unfortunately Wood to Darling and we have Young on their resting ruck.
    Their smalls are a concern too, Ryan can do it in the air or on the ground and Rioli will probably do his best to try and stop Daniel so we have to play Suckling back so we have the second outlet from defence (in place of Crozier).

Wallis pays forward and makes Hurn accountable. Wally has actually performed defensive roles well and can hit the scoreboard.
    Wallis is out for a few weeks too. Injury to his lower leg - not the one he broke.

Post Thanks / Like

Goldstein (25 to 49 hitouts in 2017) usually did too so should we hold that against the kid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Goldstein (25 to 49 hitouts in 2017) usually did too so should we hold that against the kid?
    Given he had zero marks and one effective kick last week, why do you think he's ready for AFL?

It's not just hit-out numbers. He's a developing ruck who needs time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Given he had zero marks and one effective kick last week, why do you think he's ready for AFL?

It's not just hit-out numbers. He's a developing ruck who needs time.
    I agree he was always going to be a long term prospect and not someone who would be ready this year.
    It's why I was a bit dismayed when people said we had enough ruckman on the list. We've been very lucky that English has done well with support from Trengove but I think we are paper thin for options.
    Having to use Lewis Young as a ruck man is a strong indication that we don't quite have the right balance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree he was always going to be a long term prospect and not someone who would be ready this year.
    It's why I was a bit dismayed when people said we had enough ruckman on the list. We've been very lucky that English has done well with support from Trengove but I think we are paper thin for options.
    Having to use Lewis Young as a ruck man is a strong indication that we don't quite have the right balance.
    Tom Boyd would have been handy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tom Boyd would have been handy.
    If only we had some clue he might not be available for a very long period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If only we had some clue he might not be available for a very long period of time.
    I don't think anyone knew he would retire like that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.