Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 11, Vs West Coast Eagles

If we get close, its only going to make me more shitty about The North game.
    Things I read That make sense.
    Sedat mentioned English out of ruck and getting involved otherwise. Worth a try. Moves well for a big man and rather have Trengrove wearing them down, if not winning. Agree , Bont to stay mid, need his kicking skills there.
    Eagles v Crows - Sheed (31), Gaff (33 ), Yeo (28) and Luke Shuey (30+). Very good midfield and doubt we are a chance without Bont in there.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

It won’t matter what we do. Their mids will destroy us and Kennedy/darling will kick more than our team total.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The last 30 games have shown what works and what doesn’t. The recent team selections appear to be more a vanity exercise than a genuine attempt to win. It is time to get serious about salvaging some pride in what is left of the season.

Can we please have 2 genuine tall forwards who play away for each other. Can we please have 2 genuine tall backmen who can coordinate their efforts. Can we have 2 genuine ruckmen so if one is getting smashed we do not have to accept that their opponent automatically becomes best on ground.

Can we please tell the rest of the team to kick the ball. Long and low and quickly seems to get the best results.

Against North, the main topic of conversation where I was sitting was how short the Dogs were kicking. Not much further than the (excessive) handballs.
    And a number of them went backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards Out - complete loss of confidence handling the pill.

Gowers In - deservedly dropped but we probably need him for balance.

Ins vs NM get a fair chance in seniors (concerns over Dale long term)

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember seeing Lewis Young play his first AFL game for us and thinking we had a star in the making.

21 possessions and 9 marks, And now 2 years later he cannot get a game. Can someone please explain.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember seeing Lewis Young play his first AFL game for us and thinking we had a star in the making.

21 possessions and 9 marks, And now 2 years later he cannot get a game. Can someone please explain.
    It probably comes down to development.

A lot of young players take a few seasons to really adjust and being 197cm and on the lean side he was probably behind just in his physical development. He's also playing a different role by spending time in the ruck
    I think we just need to be patient with him but I agree it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't quite come on like we hoped
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Who plays on Kennedy? He's too quick on the lead for Trengrove and I don't think you can bring Roberts straight back in having dropped him.

He could have a big one this week...
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It probably comes down to development.

A lot of young players take a few seasons to really adjust and being 197cm and on the lean side he was probably behind just in his physical development. He's also playing a different role by spending time in the ruck
    I think we just need to be patient with him but I agree it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't quite come on like we hoped
    Two others I see going backwards are Cordy (drop in possessions and completely lost offensive game) and Gowers (who regularly got
    Significantly more possessions and had an impact). Add Schache to the list ( possession count way down). What is it about the game plan that has development players going backwards?

Post Thanks / Like

Two others I see going backwards are Cordy (drop in possessions and completely lost offensive game) and Gowers (who regularly got
    Significantly more possessions and had an impact). Add Schache to the list ( possession count way down). What is it about the game plan that has development players going backwards?
    It's not all about the stats. Tall Backman don't need stats, they need to spoil and make sure their opponent doesn't get it. Look at Morris.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nuh uh. Cordy has absolutely not gone backwards. The guy plays good football, has gotten better defensively and actually competes week to week. I could care less if he averages 2 less disposals a game I'd rather someone else get the ball frankly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Nuh uh. Cordy has absolutely not gone backwards. The guy plays good football, has gotten better defensively and actually competes week to week. I could care less if he averages 2 less disposals a game I'd rather someone else get the ball frankly.
    Cordy hasn’t run with the ball this year. Yesterday had only 5 kicks and I cannot remember any of them setting up a forward move. Many of his defensive moves are when he arrives late and tries to spoil. I like his attitude but there was a time when he contributed more.

In other teams the equivalent player carves up forward lines and gets things happening. Lately he is not averaging 10 possessions. It is probably because he is being given the wrong role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's not all about the stats. Tall Backman don't need stats, they need to spoil and make sure their opponent doesn't get it. Look at Morris.
    A. Cordy is not a genuine tall. He is less than an inch taller than Macrae. And he should be running around like Macrae.

B. I have seen Cordy spoil and I have seen his opponents get plenty of the ball.

With only a defensive side he is not contributing enough. I’m sure it’s not his fault, it’s the game plan. And the comment could easily apply to others.

Post Thanks / Like

A. Cordy is not a genuine tall. He is less than an inch taller than Macrae. And he should be running around like Macrae.

B. I have seen Cordy spoil and I have seen his opponents get plenty of the ball.

With only a defensive side he is not contributing enough. I’m sure it’s not his fault, it’s the game plan. And the comment could easily apply to others.
    Not sure how much the heights on the Dogs web page can be trusted, but Cordy is listed at 193cm and that's fine for playing the second and third tall defender role (I wouldn't be surprised if he was taller). Our issue is a lack of support affecting our flexibility, which means if Cordy is having a bit of a tough day we are limited with what we can do with him, plus, it also makes it more likely for him to play negatively and less creatively.

I think the season is cooked and we should be ready to admit that. If we can't cope with pressure from the likes of GCS, Carlton and North Melbourne who all played out of their skins defencively against us then we won't cope with anything at the pointy end of the season. With this in mind I think we need to bite the bullet and pump significant game time into Lewis Young to see if he can get some confidence at the highest level and develop his game. We can't continue with this severe lack of flexibility in defence.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not sure how much the heights on the Dogs web page can be trusted, but Cordy is listed at 193cm and that's fine for playing the second and third tall defender role (I wouldn't be surprised if he was taller). Our issue is a lack of support affecting our flexibility, which means if Cordy is having a bit of a tough day we are limited with what we can do with him, plus, it also makes it more likely for him to play negatively and less creatively.

I think the season is cooked and we should be ready to admit that. If we can't cope with pressure from the likes of GCS, Carlton and North Melbourne who all played out of their skins defencively against us then we won't cope with anything at the pointy end of the season. With this in mind I think we need to bite the bullet and pump significant game time into Lewis Young to see if he can get some confidence at the highest level and develop his game. We can't continue with this severe lack of flexibility in defence.
    I agree with everything you say except playing second defender role.

Losing to the 3 bottom teams does not look good for 2020 either. Need a totally new game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much the heights on the Dogs web page can be trusted, but Cordy is listed at 193cm and that's fine for playing the second and third tall defender role (I wouldn't be surprised if he was taller).
    Pure height isn’t everything. It’s also reach, vertical leap and build. Fletcher Roberts for example has a longer neck, so his shoulders are lower than others of the same height, meaning his reach when spoiling or marking is not as great. We need more tall players with short necks and long arms who can also jump!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Considering playing Young at the highest level against GWS probably broke him and set him back immensely, I think we need to be careful. I agree that we need to change things up down back and am happy to give him a shot, but since his cracking first couple of games, he's been a shambles at senior level in his few chances. We've clearly been trying to build him back up. We need to be sure he's ready physically and mentally for the challenge. Darling and Kennedy may not be the week for it.