Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 4, 2019

What about limiting the amount of coaches (and therefore coaching) clubs can have? Maybe that will mean players play on instinct and not instructions. After all we draft juniors because they are good at playing the game but then the first thing we do is coach them in structures because all the coaches need to justify their jobs. Let players play on instinct and maybe we will have a better game?

Just a thought.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Let's have the 6-6-6 all game. Only joshing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Its a good discussion well worth having. For mine, I really like the idea of players being forced to use their initiative - either take possession and back themselves in to correctly dispose of the ball under pressure, or tap the ball on and don't take possession, whereby the onus is on the tackler to not infringe.

The best way to kill off congestion is to ensure the ball is in continuous movement. Teams will then naturally structure up with 6-6-6 most of the time because the space will be there for the forwards to exploit.
    Again, I'd be happy to see it trialled but this would need to see a wind back of too high being ignored for the carrier raising arms and or lowering their body height. If you're going to tackle it's your responsibility to ensure the tackle doesn't slip over the shoulders or below the knees, or make initial contact in the same areas.

The level of stupidity from head office in introducing that rule in response to some influential coaches and media personnel pissing and moaning was breathtaking. If the ball carrier doesn't initiate the contact with his head then it is entirely the onus of the tackler to make sure the tackle starts and finishes legally. Funnily, the interpretation as it currently stands actually results in second and third tackles and more congestion.

If players were forced to tackle at waist level arms would more likely free up and the ball would more likely be cleared. It's so bloody simple.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually wonder how much they pay Steve Hocking...…...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I actually wonder how much they pay Steve Hocking...…...
    Well you need to pay good money if you want the best...great...good...competent...mediocre? Nevermind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Well you need to pay good money if you want the best...great...good...competent...mediocre? Nevermind.
    It's amazing what can't be achieved when an administration has no natural competition to worry about...……..The AFL is a sitting duck if soccer gets it shit together.