Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 4, 2019

It is wide open.

There's no clear standout and no consistency in form whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe how poor the standard of football is this year. Good games stand out so much, like the Geelong v GWS game yesterday - both of those teams look top 4 material - maybe the Eagles too. Can't say the same for anyone else.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Wingard 3 touches with 10 minutes to go in 2nd quarter
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wingard 3 touches with 10 minutes to go in 2nd quarter
    He is good when the team is going well.
    Opportunist up front.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Go blues..if they win, give me more hope next week haha
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why McGovern thought it was a good idea to get sucked up towards the contest...………...I'll never know. He should have been standing six metres out, not 13.

I just can't see Carlton not reverting to type and getting rid of Bolton. It's just a matter of time, and perhaps he's actually no good.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a way to lose for Carton. I love watching them lose. 87% of the game time they were in front and 10 seconds to go and an amazing snap by the Suns.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many bad decisions by Carlton in the last 3 mins. Stupidity by McGovern, but shocking play by Gow ? Going back into the middle and turning it over in the last minute.

Post Thanks / Like

What are peoples thoughts on the low scores? The old Malthouse go long, wide and slow seems to have crept back in.

10. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the low scores? The old Malthouse go long, wide and slow seems to have crept back in.
    Not many shootout games. GC have have won 3 games scoring less than 80 pts. The games seem dour, and in all honesty, the skill level seems below standard in most games.

Post Thanks / Like

Teams are just too good at defending, and the game has become one where teams look to score from defence mainly from turnovers. It's actually a testament to the skill of the modern player that hand and foot disposal doesn't result in more turnovers and more goals.

I keep hearing about how skilful the game was in the 90's, but there was just so much more space to use it within and tackling, blocking of space and other types of defencive pressure were practically non-existent by today's standards. Get yourself to a forward pocket/flank area seat and at ground level see how hard it is to find an option through the grid these days. The closing speed from the players is just amazing, and this coupled with their ability to get back and cover defencively means dour games will be the flavour.

What's the solution? Incentivise coaches, who are inherently defencive first and offencive second, to score. Until additional points are put on the table for high scores they won't have an incentive to get it moving forward as a priority.

I'd also suggest allowing runners back onto the ground more frequently to message players to change gears, but I don't have actual evidence that this is a problem but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't helping (remembering the chance of the AFL introducing a rule to make the game better is a really solid chance of buggering it up).

13. Likes Dry Rot, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't all those deadshits from the Competition Committee done a wonderful job?

Steve Hocking is paid $1 million a year to run the comp and he can't even be bothered to do that. Instead he hires a bunch of external consultants to do his job for him, which they can't even do.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What's the solution? Incentivise coaches, who are inherently defencive first and offencive second, to score.
    It's actually really easy. Prior opportunity is the absolute scourge of the modern game and has caused so many of the congestion and scoring problems - get rid of it. Players are so adept at hatching the ball in the tackle and creating a secondary stoppage, and under no fear whatsoever of conceding a free against.

Prior opportunity also had the unintended consequence of umpires being forced to give players an extra 5 seconds to dispose of the ball, which only creates more bodies around the ball and more congestion. Then they piss-fart around for a few seconds telling players not to stand behind them while they prepare to throw it up and also getting then to nominate a ruckman, causing even more congestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It's actually really easy. Prior opportunity is the absolute scourge of the modern game and has caused so many of the congestion and scoring problems - get rid of it. Players are so adept at hatching the ball in the tackle and creating a secondary stoppage, and under no fear whatsoever of conceding a free against.

Prior opportunity also had the unintended consequence of umpires being forced to give players an extra 5 seconds to dispose of the ball, which only creates more bodies around the ball and more congestion. Then they piss-fart around for a few seconds telling players not to stand behind them while they prepare to throw it up and also getting then to nominate a ruckman, causing even more congestion.
    Hahaha, I think we've been through this already Sedat! If I recall we argued like the fox and the chicken hawk from the old Kentucky Fried Chicken ads (those ads were savage in their messaging)!

I understand where you're coming from, I just think with modern tackling techniques removing prior opportunity puts too much benefit into the hands of the player getting to the ball second. Whilst players are good at creating a second stoppage by shielding the ball and inviting contact, they're equally as good at doing the same thing when second to the footy and tackling.

It would be an interesting experiment for the preseason or next level down though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hahaha, I think we've been through this already Sedat! If I recall we argued like the fox and the chicken hawk from the old Kentucky Fried Chicken ads (those ads were savage in their messaging)!

I understand where you're coming from, I just think with modern tackling techniques removing prior opportunity puts too much benefit into the hands of the player getting to the ball second. Whilst players are good at creating a second stoppage by shielding the ball and inviting contact, they're equally as good at doing the same thing when second to the footy and tackling.

It would be an interesting experiment for the preseason or next level down though.
    Its a good discussion well worth having. For mine, I really like the idea of players being forced to use their initiative - either take possession and back themselves in to correctly dispose of the ball under pressure, or tap the ball on and don't take possession, whereby the onus is on the tackler to not infringe.

The best way to kill off congestion is to ensure the ball is in continuous movement. Teams will then naturally structure up with 6-6-6 most of the time because the space will be there for the forwards to exploit.

19. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post