Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 5, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Only a big club could bring the members/fans that we did in the first year.
    I'm probably a moron, but I'm holding out hope the AFL will turf North out after giving them 3 cracks at it and inserting us as Essendon's annual Good Friday opponent. Rivals across the river, bad blood since 2000, Jake Stringer etc and all that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm probably a moron, but I'm holding out hope the AFL will turf North out after giving them 3 cracks at it and inserting us as Essendon's annual Good Friday opponent. Rivals across the river, bad blood since 2000, Jake Stringer etc and all that.

1924 in fact. We are still the reigning "Champions of Victoria"

North are a really bad joke. God knows why the commission continually prop them up.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes Dry Rot, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Peter Gordon said recently that the AFEL had a virgin opportunity to create something new, but just wanted to do the same old with other clubs who already have blockbuster games, so he and the club won't spend another second wasting our time of the topic of Good Friday Footy.

I assume PG went so direct/honest knowing we were never coming back. Despite being the one club to do their bit right out of all four teams, I don't think it's ever coming back. So like other things, GFF is dead to me.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Gordon said recently that the AFEL had a virgin opportunity to create something new, but just wanted to do the same old with other clubs who already have blockbuster games, so he and the club won't spend another second wasting our time of the topic of Good Friday Footy.

I assume PG went so direct/honest knowing we were never coming back. Despite being the one club to do their bit right out of all four teams, I don't think it's ever coming back. So like other things, GFF is dead to me.

I hate the idea that we will take a single back step over this. You need to stand up for yourself in this life, it might not help us with GFF but the next time the AFL want to roll us they might think twice.

Otherwise whats the option? We may us well just ask what particular piece of furniture the AFL want us to bend ourselves over when it comes to the next decision that affects our wellbeing.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Wow. You are watching it?
    I refused when they kicked us out.
    Eh, I like to watch footy.

I don't like to watch North footy. They are crap.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Stupid Essendon have made it a sell out. Good luck to anyone else trying to pry Good Friday out of their greedy, drug-gnarled hands now.

Also if Essendon get fined for playing Daniher, the commission should donate it to the hospital.
    5000 more than our game - not much in it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How putrid were Norf . Topped up with some ordinary players , yeah Polec’s ok , but the others are very average .
    Just allowed Essendon to do what it does best and play on their own terms .
    Heat must be coming for Scott . Ten years and they’ve gone nowhere . Couple of prelims where they’ve been nowhere near it to be honest .

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Only a big club could bring the members/fans that we did in the first year.
    Maybe we could get in on an Anzac eve eve game, I really don't think the complete failure of the Dardanelles campaign has been fully exploited by the AFL. Something poignant must've happened on the 23rd. Maybe Churchill was hanging a clock in his bathroom, slipped, hit his head on the side of the sink and when he came to drew a picture of a slouch hat. We could hand out cigars and whisky before the game to honour our British Bulldog Winston.
    Blockbuster game sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

The results this year continue to be random. Not great when we're playing Carlton though they've at least been the exception to the rule so far I guess...

Also I'll ask again can we call these threads something like AFL round 5 instead of AFL Game Day Round 5? It covers the weekend, not a single day, and when I see it I still think it's the thread for the Bulldog game of the round since that one also has AFL Game Day in the title now.

Or just change the Bulldog one to not mention AFL in the title. It's like a conscious effort was made to make them as similar to each other as possible which is odd.

Sorry for the rather trivial request but it will continue to bother me all year if I don't mention it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The results this year continue to be random. Not great when we're playing Carlton though they've at least been the exception to the rule so far I guess...

Also I'll ask again can we call these threads something like AFL round 5 instead of AFL Game Day Round 5? It covers the weekend, not a single day, and when I see it I still think it's the thread for the Bulldog game of the round since that one also has AFL Game Day in the title now.

Or just change the Bulldog one to not mention AFL in the title. It's like a conscious effort was made to make them as similar to each other as possible which is odd.

Sorry for the rather trivial request but it will continue to bother me all year if I don't mention it now.
    For what it's worth, I agree. They need to be given clearly distinct titles.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the name change.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about "Round 5 All the teams we hate"

15. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Rocket Science, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 5, 2019 Round 5-hating on all the teams we hate

Another kooky result just as pundits were beginning to get on the GWS train.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Another kooky result just as pundits were beginning to get on the GWS train.
    Tipping out the door so far
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread name change I’ll go with that from the next round on.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"