Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 11, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Fair call. What are they?

Edit : I agree I don't want to be captain hindsight. I was ok with it at the time, not now. Better people than me should've realised his finals performances were critical.
    You're right we should have gotten more. The trade was horrible back then and doesn't look any better with time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hamling's the prototypical defender for the modern game.

He's the very definition of 'versatile'.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Over the course of the three year trading in good faith with Freo, it comes out effectively:

Hamling & pick 40
    Crozier & pick 35 (traded with GCS into pick 26 - Pat Lipinski) & 2018 4th rounder to cover West/Khamis
    Last year, doing a live points trade that then netted St Kilda's 2019 3rd rounder while securing Rhylee West

Over the three years, I think the clubs are doing well. Hamling has kicked on, Crozier was voted most courageous in his first year and has played at a high level. Lippa will be a player and the third rounder this year is golden.

I actually like we have a club that we can work with. I don't think it's too dire a trade in the broader 3 year trading context.

Out: Hamling, Pick 40
    In: Crozier, Pick 26/Lippa, 2018 4th, 2019 3rd (St Kilda)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Thanks Remi Moses, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    You're right we should have gotten more. The trade was horrible back then and doesn't look any better with time.
    No win situation . Player wants home citing family reasons. Would have thought we haven’t done badly in the long run out of a no win situation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    No win situation . Player wants home citing family reasons. Would have thought we haven’t done badly in the long run out of a no win situation
    It's old news now but he's not the only player we have got unders for or basically given away. He was an asset on our list, one we helped develop into the player he is now and was a key to our 2016 success. We gave him to Freo for an upgrade of a 3rd round and 4th round pick. It was awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    But as it turns out his dad wasn't that sick and is perfectly fine now that Joel is back in Perth. We were ripped off majorly. Why did he even need to go back to live in Perth? We have these things called aeroplanes nowadays that can get you back to Perth in a few hours in case of an emergency.

After rescuing his career and making him into a premiership player Joel Hamling played us all for fools.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Swans are doing a fine impression of us versus the Cats.

Hanging with them in general play but inaccuracy - compared to the gallingly accurate home mob - undoing much of their hard work.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    But as it turns out his dad wasn't that sick and is perfectly fine now that Joel is back in Perth. We were ripped off majorly. Why did he even need to go back to live in Perth? We have these things called aeroplanes nowadays that can get you back to Perth in a few hours in case of an emergency.

After rescuing his career and making him into a premiership player Joel Hamling played us all for fools.
    TD I'm not really sure what to make of this. Notwithstanding I can't actually find on the web via a brief search what his father was ill with or if he's better, it's a pretty strong accusation to level!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez Fremantle were lucky with Fyfe going to torp, turning it into a mongrel and finding Walters when the switch was clearly on to open up the other side of the forward line.

Not to mention the botched score review where they didn't check off the boot but went to the goal line instead in the third quarter incorrectly.

But, it was against Collingwood so it's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    TD I'm not really sure what to make of this. Notwithstanding I can't actually find on the web via a brief search what his father was ill with or if he's better, it's a pretty strong accusation to level!
    Do you want to add in that he isn’t from PERTH to the equation? Cos even being in Perth would still leave him a solid 2-days drive from home!

He wanted back to WA. It happens. He helped us to a flag. We helped him get back to Perth in a trade. We got compensated - not really overs and not really unders (though you can argue either way) and everyone moved on with life. Would he have become the player he is now without input from Lyon and help from fellow defenders Pearce and Ryan? I doubt it. Would Crozier have continued to develop his game the way he has at the ‘dogs being stifled by Lyon and swinging between back and forward every 2nd week because of the presence of Ryan, Hughes and Blakely? Unlikely.

We can always argue he was worth more but...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Do you want to add in that he isn’t from PERTH to the equation? Cos even being in Perth would still leave him a solid 2-days drive from home!

He wanted back to WA. It happens. He helped us to a flag. We helped him get back to Perth in a trade. We got compensated - not really overs and not really unders (though you can argue either way) and everyone moved on with life. Would he have become the player he is now without input from Lyon and help from fellow defenders Pearce and Ryan? I doubt it. Would Crozier have continued to develop his game the way he has at the ‘dogs being stifled by Lyon and swinging between back and forward every 2nd week because of the presence of Ryan, Hughes and Blakely? Unlikely.

We can always argue he was worth more but...
    Well I didn't mention the travel, but a three hour flight usually equates to about six hours in transit in total, and I'm not really sure professional footballers can just up and leave all that regularly. The additional two days is kind of academic!

Tend to agree with your assessment and think we simplify trade period on this board too much, assuming deals are easier to negotiate and get done than they actually are.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love Harris Andrews at the Dogs, he's just the player - or type of player - we need!

Post Thanks / Like

Fourth soft tissue setback for Chad Wingard this season with latest hamstring injury.
    As good as a player he is, we've possibly dodged a bullet when he picked the Hawks over us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Tee hee.

Onya Dees.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Tee hee.

Onya Dees.