Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Were we really that bad?

So - we lost by a goal. And we all expected to win. But was it really that bad?

We won the Tackle count AND the possession count. Effort was OK.
    We dominated the game from q-time onwards - won the stoppages despite being absolutely murdered in the hitouts and dominated the i50 count.

What we didn't do well was hold a strong defensive structure when the Suns countered after the ball had been bouncing around between the mid-field and our forward half...again, our defenders are (mostly) young and inexperienced and are 100% inexperienced at playing together.

There is a lot of talk about bad use inside 50m etc - and our determination to kick the ball to the GC spare 40m out from goal was frustrating...but that so often happens to teams when they are dominating in the midfield - the corridor is getting clogged, the forwards lead wide, the mids have been told not to go wide...it is a bit of a perfect storm.

Were we dumb with the footy? Yep. Were we a bit disorganised and prone to allowing sling-shot goals? Yep. Was there really a lack of effort? I honestly don't think so. You can point to the first 10-minutes and say there was no effort then, but in all seriousness we simply could not get the ball! So it is a bit hard to assess what we were doing 'cos we simply couldn't get the footy...that happens at times in a game and it just happened to us early...I would submit that we went in thinking we would get a LOT better contest vs Witts than we actually did and set up too aggressively at the clearances, but...

Still a good chance this Friday.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes bornadog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Were we really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So - we lost by a goal. And we all expected to win. But was it really that bad?

We won the Tackle count AND the possession count. Effort was OK.
    We dominated the game from q-time onwards - won the stoppages despite being absolutely murdered in the hitouts and dominated the i50 count.

What we didn't do well was hold a strong defensive structure when the Suns countered after the ball had been bouncing around between the mid-field and our forward half...again, our defenders are (mostly) young and inexperienced and are 100% inexperienced at playing together.

There is a lot of talk about bad use inside 50m etc - and our determination to kick the ball to the GC spare 40m out from goal was frustrating...but that so often happens to teams when they are dominating in the midfield - the corridor is getting clogged, the forwards lead wide, the mids have been told not to go wide...it is a bit of a perfect storm.

Were we dumb with the footy? Yep. Were we a bit disorganised and prone to allowing sling-shot goals? Yep. Was there really a lack of effort? I honestly don't think so. You can point to the first 10-minutes and say there was no effort then, but in all seriousness we simply could not get the ball! So it is a bit hard to assess what we were doing 'cos we simply couldn't get the footy...that happens at times in a game and it just happened to us early...I would submit that we went in thinking we would get a LOT better contest vs Witts than we actually did and set up too aggressively at the clearances, but...

Still a good chance this Friday.
    Agree this Friday is going to be on!

I’m most frustrated with the missed goals or butchered chances (EG: Dickson playing on, Dunkley first quarter...). We did a lot right but stuffed up when it counted.

Post Thanks / Like

We weren't bad at all and I'm far from devastated but whenever you drop a game like that and fail to fire I get why we are disappointed.
    I stuck around after the game and talked to a number of Player Sponsors and the general consensus was we just made a few too many errors at critical times. A dropped marked here, a turnover there and of course missing very gettable goals were the area's that most felt had us not playing close to the best of our ability.
    The mood of the room however, was still quite bullish for the season ahead

As you pointed out, the major frustration for me was decision making errors made but I know that we have to ride them out given the team is still adjusting. There were a heap of positives for me, Smith had his first of many good games for us, Bontempelli was awesome aside from his goal kicking and Macrae performed strongly in the 2nd half and Liberatore was great all game

Heaps of other positives and I'm still bullish for the season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think we played really really dumb football and our forward pressure was not quite up to the benchmark (Dickson and Naughton were very good in this area) but despite this we found ourselves kicking for a draw in the last minute.

We had a totally raw spine and a third gamer was one of our ball winners after barely getting near it in his first game and a half.

It was a very disappointing result but there were certainly positives there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned by MJP, in the first quarter we couldn't get our hands on the ball. eg: Macrae only had 4 touches which is unusual for him, and most of the mids were in a similar position and we were beaten in all the stats. The Bont was the only winner, but couldn't do it all himself and missed a couple of gettable goals. A few missed goals didn't give us any momentum, and I think we were a little stunned with the pace and movement from GC.

We regrouped and got on top all over the ground, but just couldn't hit the scoreboard. The movement from the backline to the forward line was slow which allowed GC to flood our fwd50 and give us no room.

Friday will be interesting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For the 1st quarter we absolutely were that bad. We need to stop 2 things.

1. Losing quarters by 4+ goals.
    2. Capitalise when we dominate a quarter. e.g. Q2 vs Hawthorn and GC.

8. Likes 1eyedog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were crap in enough key areas that we lost the game. To a likely bottom four side in the nadir of a rebuild. Who are notoriously poor travellers. So yep, we were that bad.

While we're a work in progress ourselves, I think the most frustrating thing is we seem to fall victim to the same flaws and unmastered fundamentals that have plagued us for bloody ages now.

Good thing we've got 19 more rounds to work on them.

I'm worried about getting split wide open by a quality side on national TV this Friday.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good points in the OP, but the concerns I have:

1/ No ability to change our structure at the clearances. It was clear that the player on the defensive side was getting sucked into the contest, but no adjustment was made.

2/ No ability to change the structure in defence. Young group sure, but we have our captain in that group as well as 3 of our more senior players (Crozier, Suckling & Duryea), but they continued to play too high.. no adjustment was made from the box in real time either.

3/ Our ball use into F50 has been an issue for 4 years, it is what it is with this group playing. Overnight we aren't seeing the likes of Hunter, Macrae, Wallis, Dunkley, etc.. becoming amazing kicks who make sound decisions. The ability to convert when we do get opportunities isn't great either and doesn't seem to be a focus area or a concern.

4/ Effort is always good, that's not a criticism, we have a hardworking and determined midfield group who are always up for the fight, but we rarely get reward on effort.

5/ We've played 3 sides who most will think will finish outside the 8 on familiar territory (includes 2 interstate teams on our turf)... A little concerned of what happens agaisnt the good teams, but I guess more will be revealed on Friday night.

Given how young we are in the KPP stocks it was always going to be a challenging year, and whilst there will be gains made there is also going to be some hardship/ frustrating times... Interested to see how the season unfolds.

12. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We just weren’t on from that start on Sunday. Credit that we fought back but it wasn’t enough in the end. Turnovers and missing easy goals does that to you and we can’t get away with it against the top sides (even the average sides and GC seem to have improved a bit). In saying that I’m looking forward to the Friday night match at the G. Will be a challenge but I give us a chance again.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we were really poor around stoppages in the first quarter and were far to slow to respond. The fact our captain would have been viewing this from behind the ball and we didn't immediately stop it suggested we're not being lead on field well enough from a tactical point of view. Perhaps a few of our leaders are worrying a bit too much about their own games at the minute, or need to develop quickly so they can concentrate on in-game team leadership and playing.

For the remainder of the game we were actually OK, and fluffed our lines too many times. It should have been a Bulldogs win by a couple of goals, some better finishing and some better team defending on occasion throughout the last three quarters would have seen to that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe watching this we weren't as bad as we thought we were.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

3/ Our ball use into F50 has been an issue for 4 years, it is what it is with this group playing. Overnight we aren't seeing the likes of Hunter, Macrae, Wallis, Dunkley, etc.. becoming amazing kicks who make sound decisions. The ability to convert when we do get opportunities isn't great either and doesn't seem to be a focus area or a concern.
    Our ball use would be better if we just kicked it to Naughton.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Skill errors I can handle, but I’m tired of seeing games where we dominate play for 15 minutes with the ball in our forward half but can’t seem to score.

I thought we looked better than GC over the day, they were just so much more efficient inside 50.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't sure where to post this but here's as good as anywhere

Our defensive transition. Probably not something you can see on TV. Matt Suckling - our smartest, best, transition defence runner. He reads the next three kicks and sprints in transition to get there and impact a kick. I can see why he's been in coaches votes.

It sucked we lost. We should've won. But it's not time to throw the baby out...we are a solid, competitive team. It's still a development year, but we've made progress already. Enjoy the ride WOOOFERS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We weren't bad at all and I'm far from devastated but whenever you drop a game like that and fail to fire I get why we are disappointed.
    I stuck around after the game and talked to a number of Player Sponsors and the general consensus was we just made a few too many errors at critical times. A dropped marked here, a turnover there and of course missing very gettable goals were the area's that most felt had us not playing close to the best of our ability.
    The mood of the room however, was still quite bullish for the season ahead

As you pointed out, the major frustration for me was decision making errors made but I know that we have to ride them out given the team is still adjusting. There were a heap of positives for me, Smith had his first of many good games for us, Bontempelli was awesome aside from his goal kicking and Macrae performed strongly in the 2nd half and Liberatore was great all game

Heaps of other positives and I'm still bullish for the season
    Good posts and thanks for the insights MJP and GVGjr. I doubt any teams will be taking us lightly this season. GC are a good team, much improved and we can chew up a lead pretty fast.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus