Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs re-sign nine

We were lucky to win a premiership when we did. Very hard to win another when other Clubs are plundering your players. Difficult for supporters too.

Post Thanks / Like

Tiarna Ernst has gone to the Gold Coast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tiarna Ernst has gone to the Gold Coast.
    This one makes me sad too, but on the face of it, looks to be a bit more valid than Kaytee Brelnan's "wanting a fresh start".

Seriously though, what's the point in being one of the foundation clubs if the flood of newbies can swoop in and snap up your best players?

I'm fuming about how the AFL have stuffed this up for the fans. I'm sure they're patting themselves on the back about how they're expanding the game so quickly, but talk about decimating the game for short term gain. Because everyone knows that thinning out the talent pool is really the way to make it a better spectacle and keep growing the fan base...
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    This one makes me sad too, but on the face of it, looks to be a bit more valid than Kaytee Brelnan's "wanting a fresh start".

Seriously though, what's the point in being one of the foundation clubs if the flood of newbies can swoop in and snap up your best players?

I'm fuming about how the AFL have stuffed this up for the fans. I'm sure they're patting themselves on the back about how they're expanding the game so quickly, but talk about decimating the game for short term gain. Because everyone knows that thinning out the talent pool is really the way to make it a better spectacle and keep growing the fan base...
    From Club website:

Ernst, who is relocating to Queensland to pursue a new career opportunity in the medical field, said the decision to move away from VU Whitten Oval was incredibly challenging.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading a few years ago about was trying to work hospital shifts(studying to be a doctor) and juggling that with footy training. I think she's about 31 so her playing career in all probability is nearing the end. With her and Birch out of the backline it is certainly going to look quite different.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs confirm further AFLW list changes

The Western Bulldogs have continued to strengthen their 2020 AFLW list, confirming another three re-signings in the second week of the 2019 AFLW Sign and Trade period.

The re-signings include rising star Aisling Utri and developing ruck Kim Rennie, who have committed to the Club for the next two seasons, while premiership defender Bailey Hunt has signed a one-year deal.

Forward Belinda Smith and defender Selena Karlson have also informed the Club of their wish to continue their careers with other clubs.

Smith arrived at the Club after the 2018 season after being delisted by Fremantle, and will head back home to Western Australia to join expansion team the West Coast Eagles, while Karlson has signed with St Kilda for the 2020 AFLW season.

“While it is disappointing to see Belinda and Selena depart the Club, we understand the reasons for their departures,” said Bulldogs General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee.

“Smith is returning to her home state to be with her family and continue her football journey, while Selena is heading back to where it all began for her.

“Both players have made a great contribution to our club and we wish them well with their future endeavours.

“We are really excited to re-sign another three of our existing players. We now have a large portion of our playing list re-committed, which is extremely positive as we continue our preparations for next season.”

Post Thanks / Like

According to Fox Sports Conti to Richmond confirmed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    According to Fox Sports Conti to Richmond confirmed
    That hurts

Post Thanks / Like

AFLW 2019: Western Bulldogs set to lose Monique Conti to Richmond

The Western Bulldogs will lose their AFLW 2019 best and fairest, with Monique Conti set to play for Richmond next season.
    Foxfooty.com.au can reveal Conti’s two-year deal also involves Puma, although the Dogs must first agree to a trade.

The sign and trade period finishes on Thursday, but there is a secondary period from April 23-26 in which AFLW clubs can swap players and draft selections.

The Dogs have already lost four players to expansion clubs so any further departures must now be traded. It’s understood they are expecting Conti, who is currently on holidays overseas, to request a move to Richmond.

The 19 year-old has already been spotted at Punt Road and her impending arrival will cap off a prolific fortnight for the Tigers, who have also lured Conti’s ex-Dogs teammate Katie Brennan to the club.

Before the age of 20, Conti has achieved plenty in the game. She is a premiership player, a best and fairest and was also adjudged best afield in the 2018 Grand Final.

Her 2019 campaign was highlighted by a 25-possession effort against Carlton in Round 7.

She will be the fifth Bulldogs player to leave Whitten Oval, following Belinda Smith (West Coast), Selena Karlson (St Kilda), Tiarna Ernst (Gold Coast), and Brennan (Richmond) out the door.

In return, the Dogs have signed no players from rival clubs yet, though they did manage to lock in Bailey Hunt, Kimberley Rennie, Brooke Lochland, Deanna Berry and Aisling Utri on new deals.

The possibility of Conti joining the Tigers was first broken by foxfooty.com.au last Thursday.

Losing the 19-year-old will be a huge blow to coach Paul Groves, who oversaw a team that won just two of five games this season.

By comparison, the Tigers have made no secret of their desire to lure talent to the club.

Aside from Brennan and Conti, they’ve also acquired ex-Lion Sabrina Frederick via a trade, plus added Christina Bernardi (GWS), Maddy Brancatisano (Melbourne), Phoebe Monahan (GWS) and Iilish Ross (Collingwood).

The influx of quality means Richmond could have three tier one players, which would see the club forced to fit less tier two players into the salary cap.

Carlton had just one tier one player this season — captain Bri Davey — and she appears all but certain to join Collingwood on Thursday if the two clubs can orchestrate a trade.

The poaching of players from expansion clubs has been widely critiqued in recent weeks. On Thursday morning SEN radio, Essendon great Tim Watson queried whether young fans should get velcro numbers on their backs from now on.

In seeking to allow new teams opportunities to be competitive, three of the 10 AFLW captains from 2019 have either left their clubs or are expected to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the ridiculous way the AFL are running the women's game, what the hell is going on at our club? Why can we not match these deals by involving our sponsors? We are losing players left, right and centre and have signed precisely nobody from elsewhere.

And how do we make a trade with Richmond, a new club that has nothing to trade?

Post Thanks / Like

There will be a lot of supporters who will lose interest as said before. I know a couple of people already in that boat. Can't blame them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell, is there anyone left?

Post Thanks / Like

Conti needs to be traded. Richmond have nothing to offer. I am hoping we say enough is enough and refuse the trade. NO DEAL!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree there's got to be a line in the sand moment. They're bleeding a foundation club dry.

I am a little concerned there's some disharmony down there though.

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond will be gifted draft picks to trade
    Agree with making a stand though, wouldn't be surprised if we pushed the others along to hit the 4 player limit to get something for Conti or fight to retain her
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff