Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs re-sign nine

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Aside from the ridiculous way the AFL are running the women's game, what the hell is going on at our club?
    All Clubs are losing players, we aren't the only ones.

The AFL wants to spread the talent around and are allowing all this to happen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All Clubs are losing players, we aren't the only ones.

The AFL wants to spread the talent around and are allowing all this to happen.
    Has any other club lost 6 players including 2 of their top 3 (at least on reputation)?

Might make more sense if we were any good this year but we won 2 games! We will be seriously non-competitive next season. Great reward for being a pioneer of the women's game.

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has any other club lost 6 players including 2 of their top 3 (at least on reputation)?

Might make more sense if we were any good this year but we won 2 games! We will be seriously non-competitive next season. Great reward for being a pioneer of the women's game.
    That's it I think it's the quality over the quantity.

Post Thanks / Like

My words exactly Axe Man.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not agreeing with their policy, just stating facts.

Brisbane have lost 8 players, Collingwood last year 12.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Joke of a league.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL seem to be doing everything in their power to destroy this league before it's even properly begun. I wish they'd established a separate AFLW commission run by women and let them get on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me cynical, but it's almost like the AFEL didn't think the women's league would work and put no thought into it beyond starting it. That they'd just get the credit for looking 'progressive'. From the lock out at the very first game that surprised Gil, intervening in the (what should've been inside) issue between Susan, Peter and the WO entrance, fast tracking too many players which is believed to contribute to injuries, to growing it to fast which hurts the teams that showed it works. Oh, and overlapping the stupid AFELX risking diluting AFLW. The AFEL is successful despite itself, and I say this on Good Friday, from a team that has the record of brining the most fans/members out for a Good Friday game who then had it taken off them to then shove to a drug cheating club. It's good we are unrewarded pioneers to help the AFEL.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW (and AFLM for that matter) has lost me and it will take a lot to get me interested again. Either the club or the players or both have lost the plot but I have zero confidence in the AFL managing to correct it again. Especially because it involves us. The AFL go out of their way to make things difficult for us in particular. You can bet both your testicles that if this had happened to one of the other clubs we would have retrospective rules in place that would have seen Brennan and Conti sent straight back to their original clubs, but it didn't, it happened to us and the AFL commission are leading the cheer squad.

Ive said it before, I will say it again and I will continue to say it because it's true. The AFL commission despise us as a club and can be counted on to make life difficult for us every time we make a little headway. I'm just waiting for City Hall to notice that we are sponsored by Mercedes Benz because when they do they will tell us that it isn't appropriate for us for some (bullshit) reason to be sponsored by a car company.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Agree there's got to be a line in the sand moment. They're bleeding a foundation club dry.

I am a little concerned there's some disharmony down there though.
    Does seem odd given the leg up we had being the pioneers with Melbourne.

I’ve just read that:

Melbourne has re-signed the bulk of its list (18 players), led by Karen Paxman, Elise O'Dea, Tegan Cunningham, Lauren Pearce and Lily Mithen.
    I wonder if the falling out at the top level of our Club with Sue Alberti has played any part. I hear that this breakdown is not in any way resolved. She is largely respected across the AFLW and many of our girls appeared close to Sue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Does seem odd given the leg up we had being the pioneers with Melbourne.

I’ve just read that:

I wonder if the falling out at the top level of our Club with Sue Alberti has played any part. I hear that this breakdown is not in any way resolved. She is largely respected across the AFLW and many of our girls appeared close to Sue.
    Could be Doc.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...rts-the-kennel

Bulldogs secure AFLW top draft pick

The Western Bulldogs have today secured the number one pick in the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft in a trade deal with Richmond, in exchange for midfielder Monique Conti.

The Club moved quickly to secure the deal with Richmond, following the AFL announcing yesterday that Richmond received the first pick in the National Women’s Draft as a priority selection.

The deal provides the Bulldogs with access to the best available young talent in the Draft, as they continue preparations for the 2020 season.

As part of AFLW expansion and list build rules, four players had already departed the Bulldogs to expansion clubs when Conti requested a trade to the Tigers, meaning she could only move to her club of choice via a trade deal.

“It is a difficult situation for existing AFLW clubs, with four new teams coming into the competition next season and having to contend with a fluid player movement system that is necessarily designed to support expansion,” said Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains.

“In the circumstances, we are pleased that our football department management has been able to salvage a terrific outcome for the Club by acquiring the first pick through a trade with Richmond.”

Bulldogs General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said: “Naturally, we were disappointed with Monique’s decision after providing her with two years of AFLW football development, including supporting her with an opportunity to continue to pursue her basketball commitments during the winter and summer periods.

“However, this trade deal will now provide us with access to the best player in what is now a National Draft. Combined with the players we have already retained, we are in a strong position to add further talent to our list for next season.”

Conti played 15 games and kicked four goals over two seasons with the Bulldogs and was part of the 2018 premiership team.

The Bulldogs also announced today that Angelica Gogos and Elyse Gamble have recommitted to the Club for a further year.

Both Gogos and Gamble have been part of the Bulldogs’ playing list since the beginning of the AFLW competition, and will enter embark on their fourth seasons at the Club in 2020.

And the Club confirmed that Jessie Davies and Tessa Boyd would not be offered contracts for next season.

“We thank both Jessie and Tessa for their contribution to the Western Bulldogs, and wish them all the best with their football endeavours,” Lee said.

“These decisions are made even more difficult when you’re dealing with great characters, and we wish them both well.”

Post Thanks / Like

Well, looks like she forced our hand. Not cool Monique.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

T. Boyd delisted.

Leigh Matthews will be so happy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL orchestrated this by giving Richmond pick 1. They didn't deserve pick one with the players they signed up.

Hopefully we get the best talent with the pick.

19. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Testekill liked this post