Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  80
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naughton signs 4 year deal!

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    His value must be soaring (pardon the pun). A masterstroke by Power to sign him up early for an additional 4 years. At least 4 more years of watching this kid fly. Gee we have some young talent in Naughton, English and Smith. Thrown in the likes of Bont and Macrae and that is a core team for the next 7 or 8 years.
    I was chatting about exactly this on the walk to the car from the ground.

Who are the core players we build the team around?

To me there is a standout 3 - Bont, Naughton and English (if thier development continues as expected). Outside of that we have a string of players that can bob up and win it off thier own boot - Macrae, Daniel, Libba - and players that are capable of “elite” games - Dunkley, McLean, maybe wally.

Those first 3 are the core IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people questioned Bevo on moving Naughton up forward, but after Saturday night, we must admit Bevo was right.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A lot of people questioned Bevo on moving Naughton up forward, but after Saturday night, we must admit Bevo was right.
    Yeah he has to stay forward for good now but that means our defence lacks a long term option. We need to go hard during the trade period to find our guy.

Jones or Hamling would be handy right now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah he has to stay forward for good now but that means our defence lacks a long term option. We need to go hard during the trade period to find our guy.

Young needs to step up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Young needs to step up.
    Our VFL ruckman?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

too right BAD. I was in the category to keep Naughton as a backman - we often criticise the coaching team but all kudos to them to be able to identify that the kid is a forward genius.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a pity that our coaching staff at the time did not identify that Jones would be a handy backman. I remember reading on WOOF from a few posters (pretty sure it was Dry Rot and maybe TD) that Jones had the traits of a backman and we should try him there. Bolton hasn't got many things right but this is definitely one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a pity that our coaching staff at the time did not identify that Jones would be a handy backman. I remember reading on WOOF from a few posters (pretty sure it was Dry Rot and maybe TD) that Jones had the traits of a backman and we should try him there. Bolton hasn't got many things right but this is definitely one of them.
    There's no doubt that Bevo would have at least given him a crack in defence if Jones was still on the list when he took over, but on the flip side, we brought in the little maestro CD with the pick we received. I think both clubs can be pretty satisfied with the outcome.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt that Bevo would have at least given him a crack in defence if Jones was still on the list when he took over, but on the flip side, we brought in the little maestro CD with the pick we received. I think both clubs can be pretty satisfied with the outcome.
    Absolutely and there is more upside to CD.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it should have been more obvious that Jones was not a natural forward and should have been trained as a defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Yeah it should have been more obvious that Jones was not a natural forward and should have been trained as a defender.
    Running under the ball and trying to mark everything on his chest was a dead giveaway.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article from the west. I didn't realise Naughton played for Fremantle's feeder club. Hindsight and all that but just tells you how important recruiters are to a team.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881188820z

14. Thanks bornadog, whythelongface, Bulldog4life, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Interesting article from the west. I didn't realise Naughton played for Fremantle's feeder club. Hindsight and all that but just tells you how important recruiters are to a team.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881188820z
    Love it. We often talk about the ones that got away but it is wonderful to read about the talent we were able to snare before others (particularly as he was a late top 10 draft pick). Well done to our talent scouts.

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The hype train is in full motion, but I’m going to reel in my expectations. I think there will be plenty of Carlton/Freo performances to come this year but it’s damn nice to know he has a level that completely takes over games. Very few key forwards can do it, let alone a 19 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Our VFL ruckman?
    A friend of mine went and said he played well as a follower. Huge spring too when rucking.

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post