Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned-round 4 v Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    If the rucks were swapped we win that game by 4 goals, but Tim did do well around the ground and had more marks
    Agree. We worked hard to negate the dominance in hit outs but it must take a lot of extra effort when you are on the back foot at every single ruck contest. The clearances were even all game until late. It definitely took its toll.

But Tim showed some grit all night. He is 100% the right long term prospect.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Crozier is playing the best footy of his career. Important player for us. The mark of the year too.
    2. Tim fought on and was good around the ground. Definitely should have received free kicks when he was regularly illegally pushed out of the way by Grundy during the throw ins.
    3. Schache has to assert himself on the contest a lot more. This is holding him back big time.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Hard to win when we were effectively two key forwards short in Schache and Gowers
    2. Inspite of Grundy’s ruck dominance Bont Libba and Macrae were superb in the midfield
    3. We played one key defender short which proved costly in the end

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Daniel works in different dimensions to everyone else.
    2. Crozier played with real heart and commitment, not to mention professionalism, my man, clubman.
    3. The Bont reminded me of Ted Whitten in that he is a constant presence, with maximum skilled application to every contest to give us advantage. He is prepared to carry the team.

Post Thanks / Like

All, I've cleaned up a non footy discussion that really isn't relevant to the the thread or last nights game.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss that decision.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    1. Dicko is effective in space and a beautiful kick but he's lost touch in close in pressure situations. Scrambled a number of opportunities to score throughout the match. Lippa needs to come in for him.

2. We are a top 8 team.

3. Bailey Smith moves like a young Brad Johnson out there.
    Totally with you on pt 3. Bailey looks and moves like Brad. We’ve got a beaut player who will get the best out of himself.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bailey Smith looks more comfortable every week

2. Naughton is the best young KPP in the competition. I would not swap him for any tall on an AFL list right now

3. Schache disappears under any sign of pressure. I'm worried he's the type that doesn't fire a shot during finals.

PS - Still love you Roughy, even in that hideous jumper.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bailey Smith will be a star.
    2. Aaron Naughton will be a star.
    3. Bontempelli is a supernova

Post Thanks / Like

1. We can get smashed in the ruck and still do ok. Amazing
    2. Good depth in our side. Better than I thought at the start of the season.
    3. Tim English's confidence has to be carefully monitored. It's ok to throw him in and say it's a learning exercise but if he gets smashed weekly I don't think it's a good thing. Someone else just has to assist.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    1. We can get smashed in the ruck and still do ok. Amazing
    2. Good depth in our side. Better than I thought at the start of the season.
    3. Tim English's confidence has to be carefully monitored. It's ok to throw him in and say it's a learning exercise but if he gets smashed weekly I don't think it's a good thing. Someone else just has to assist.
    As long as his expectations are made clear internally and he's getting assurances that he's doing what's asked of him and more, he'll be fine. I can only hope that this is the case.

13. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think it was Tim’s break out game, although he didn’t win the ruck he learnt a lot from Grundy and definitely got into the game when the ball was on the ground, he seemed to start fitting in with the team, handballs , marks etc, he has massive legs but it’s just his top half strength letting him down at the moment, I see that being worked on next pre season and then he will start pushing Grundy around a lot more.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I actually think it was Tim’s break out game, although he didn’t win the ruck he learnt a lot from Grundy and definitely got into the game when the ball was on the ground, he seemed to start fitting in with the team, handballs , marks etc, he has massive legs but it’s just his top half strength letting him down at the moment, I see that being worked on next pre season and then he will start pushing Grundy around a lot more.

He learned a lot as the game went on to the extent that he wasn't really jumping at ruck contests in the last quarter but remained on his feet and tackled or blocked or dispossessed any Collingwood player that got the ball. Tim is one of the cleverest big guys I have seen and will be a superstar.

1. Tim English has a touch of Scott Wynd about him.
    2. You can touch the ball after its crossed the goalline and somehow its still a behind! That Aaron Naughton linecall was one of the worst guesses (it didn't deserve to be called a decision) I have ever seen an umpire make.
    3. Ed Richards needs a rest.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As long as his expectations are made clear internally and he's getting assurances that he's doing what's asked of him and more, he'll be fine. I can only hope that this is the case.
    Yeh I agree w you. Surely the coaches knew what was going to happen and they managed his expectations, the midfields and game plan around it.

Great point earlier too about Bevo expecting English to be another mid - he plays like that in his follow up actions. Really exciting young prospect.

17. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/ We can compete with the top teams. Don't think we played that well but we could have won the game had we been able to nail our shots (same old story). Average of 30 games difference between the Pies and us.

2/ Naughton is special. How he launches into the pack is unbelievable.

3/ Consistency in our forward line is our biggest issue. Schache and Gowers have shown glimpses but until they show consistency we will fail to produce winning scores.

19. Likes merantau liked this post