Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We will beat Collingwood tonight because:

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    OK. I love this thread. Whoever started it must be a great bloke.

When's bounce down???
    MJP, ( a great bloke! ) the loss will remain but the optimism remains. A lot to look forward to. We haven't had a tall forward like Naughton clunking huge marks like that in a long, long time. Smith looks like a hungry hound. JJ is back. Lots of ticked boxes. Just these errors and accuracy continue to rain on our parade.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 13-04-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread could be renamed: We should have beaten Collingwood because...

The factors Mjp identified were all correct. I think the 5 day break was ultimately the killer, added to the fact that our hard work never led to a comfortable buffer
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    A 5 day break, with that many errors, and that many young players? We came close given all that.
    I think there is certainly something to the 5 day break but I remain convinced that we can't use the excuse of having a young list when we lose a game given 1) we didn't lose the game because of the young players and 2) we had some more experienced players we elected to overlook.

There was a lack of composure at critical times in the last quarter and perhaps a bit of fatigue because of the 5 day break but somehow we played well enough to still be in a position to win the game.

I don't like losing but it was still and encouraging performance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think we ran out of puff at the end and allowed Cox to have too much influence in the second half

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think we ran out of puff at the end and allowed Cox to have too much influence in the second half
    More like for ten minutes in the last
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We will beat them with cont.poss, at stoppages and clearances.
    We did for three quarters then lost in these areas in the last. Ran out of puff in my opinion.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will beat Collingwood tonight because we have great memories of beating them there. Hello Billy Kolyniuk and 'that' goal in 1990. And Monty's efforts after Brodie Holland said hello in the 2006 elimination final.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh what... ok well i guess the signs were there. Hawkins doing his knee in '86 and Murphy doing his when Rocca tackled him. Hate the pies..

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We did for three quarters then lost in these areas in the last. Ran out of puff in my opinion.
    The 'ran out of puff' bit isn't washing with me as it is with some others, for two reasons:

1) We finished strongly the last two matches and were able to steady in the last 5 minutes against Sydney; and
    2) Collingwood were down a rotation all night with Mayne off the ground.

We were good enough to come over the top of them. We simply didn't execute.

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The 'ran out of puff' bit isn't washing with me as it is with some others, for two reasons:

1) We finished strongly the last two matches and were able to steady in the last 5 minutes against Sydney; and
    2) Collingwood were down a rotation all night with Mayne off the ground.

We were good enough to come over the top of them. We simply didn't execute.
    Sydney game was the first for the year?

5 day break is very short between games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    I think we will beat Collingwood tonight because we have great memories of beating them there. Hello Billy Kolyniuk and 'that' goal in 1990. And Monty's efforts after Brodie Holland said hello in the 2006 elimination final.
    I always have a bit of a giggle whenever I hear what a dertimined footballer Graeme Wright was and how he was never beaten one on one or in a contest (I heard that fool Malthouse say it as recently as wednesday). Wright was good and all that but that day Billy ran around him like he just wasn't standing there.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I always have a bit of a giggle whenever I hear what a dertimined footballer Graeme Wright was and how he was never beaten one on one or in a contest (I heard that fool Malthouse say it as recently as wednesday). Wright was good and all that but that day Billy ran around him like he just wasn't standing there.
    Also one of the great passages of play from the backline - what a kick from Leon Cameron.

16. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also one of the great passages of play from the backline - what a kick from Leon Cameron.

I fear for the blood circulation of players wearing shorts that tight....
    That vision is classic. I heard that a lot of Channel 7 footage has been lost or damaged. It needs to be archived as cultural history of significance.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus