Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 4, 2019 vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Bankers.

1. Tim English.
    I feel like a captain sailing through a storm. The wind is rising, the swell is getting nasty with an unpredictable side chop, and there's no safe harbour in sight, the motley crew are on the verge of mutiny, perhaps even cannibalism.......... but I'm gritting my teeth and holding firm to the rudder, holding my course through the teeth of the gale because I know, I just know the treasure is worth the journey.

Tim English was beaten in the ruck by a seasoned, All Australian, Best and fairest winning, powerful ruckman in his prime.
    Tim English has played 13 games. 13 freaking games. But anyone, seriously, who knows anything about football...........COME ON!! The way the kid moves.........how clean and neat he is below his knees......how seamlessly he involves himself in passages of play and what a balanced and neat kicking style he has. And how he never, ever, ever gave up, or stopped trying. Heart of a lion, and he's 205cm!

I wish we still had Roughead on our list to partner English through this year....I feel Tim has been thrown in to the front line a year too early, but next year and from then on.......Tim English will be phenomenal.

I would offer him a 4/5/6 year deal right now. For all those peanuts out there saying he is useless on the back of that game........you know NOTHING about football or seafaring. NOTHING John Snow.

2. Crozier.
    His second efforts are nothing short of miraculous. He takes Mark of the year and then runs half the length of the ground to try and spoil a mark in the back pocket less than a minute later. I totally takes my hat off to him. He almost reminds me of Dale Morris at times with his selfless attack on the ball. Seems to play with NO EGO despite his prodigious aerial talents.
    I love him.
    I bend the knee.

3. MCG.
    I just love that big open sky on a Friday night. The atmosphere.......the sound...
    There are some things that are better at docklands maybe, but that magical MCG power is undeniable.
    It is our Colosseum. Our Stonehenge. Our great pyramid.
    Our KIng's landing.

Anchors.

Well.......this has been coming for a while.

1. Dunkley's kicking. It's a handicap we have to carry. The modern game punishes you so hard with a sloppy kick across half back.. or in any transitional play..........and this is an accumulative anchor I suppose.........but I have come to dread the ball in Dunkley's hands. I know he's not the only guilty party........... but nevertheless...... we are so easy to score against because the opposition just sets up for our turnovers. You can see them licking their lips when Dunkley gets the ball.
    I actually love the kid and what he brings but we need to address this problem somehow............I know he's not the only offender out there but still, we can't hide them all in the forward pocket. I know people will say he wasn't too bad in this particular game..........but this is an anchor that has been forged over the first 4 games of the year.

2. The forward line coach. Yes I should do my research and find out who it is but..................meh.........
    We have a forward line stacked with talent who all fly for the same mark against each other, don't create space for someone else to lead into. All clog up the pockets and flanks instead of opening one out. Our 'crumbers' fly in the pack with our talls............we are totally and utterly unorganised in the forward line.
    so.............OUR FORWARD LINE COACH GETS AN ANCHOR.

3. Libba's kick across the halfback line. You know the one.
    The forward line. How on earth has that been happening for 4 years without being addressed.

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The forward line. How on earth has that been happening for 4 years without being addressed.

And the most annoying thing about it is that it's relatively simple to fix. Give me the worst kick on the list for 15 minutes and I guarantee that I will at least improve his accuracy at set shots. I cant see that any of our players have a routine when it comes to set shots, most of them just wander in from any old angle spinning the ball in their hands, they lean back as they take the shot and they lift their head as the ball strikes their boot.

If you wanted to show somebody how exactly not to take a set shot then you could just show them vision of any of our forwards except for Josh Schache. I was hoping that over summer some of our players or coaches would notice what a beautiful fluid set shot Josh is and maybe aspire to do the same but sadly not. I don't know what they do with all their time as professional footballers but it's certainly not working on their skills otherwise we wouldn't be going into this year with the same problems that were glaringly obvious 5 years ago.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Thanks S Coast Simon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should just cut and paste the forward 50 debacle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think we should just cut and paste the forward 50 debacle
    It's just bizarre we haven't tried to bring in someone new coaching wise to give a new perspective on things. 2015 feels long ago thats for sure, Its still my fav home and away season ever we were so good to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

B

1. Cordy - Zaine has flown under the radar week in week out. Think he has been doing a great job. In fact our defence for the most part has been really good with scores against being 78, 73, 87 and 65 our defence is standing the test.

2. Bont - he is taking his game to a new level. Has been absolutely sensational. Just nail those shots

3. Crozier - his body work is fantastic. He is able to position himself in a contest and use his body to take a mark.

A
    1. Forward line and forward entries - disappointing - same story every week. Teams seem to be able to flood our defensive fwd 50 and rebound very quickly. Iron this part of our game out and we will be top 4.

2. Gowers and Schache - 2nd efforts and tackling. If you are not making an impact on the score get yourself into the game.

3. Rucking - i know we negated the impact in terms of winning the contested ball, but we need to help Tim. He is going to be a star and this is great for his development. Reckon we could of gone in with Trengove as well to assist. maybe this is a banker for the MC