Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 4, 2019 vs Collingwood

This is the round 4, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Collingwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 4, 2019 vs Collingwood

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Crozier - our best medium/tall defender
    Lloyd - hit the scoreboard
    Bonts - that third quarter was huge
    Naughton - that third quarter

A

Naughton touching the ball as it was sailing in for a goal.
    Turnovers.
    Burning shots at goal for fun.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

B - Naughton , just brilliant
    - The Bont , Just consistencely great
    - The mids considering we get monstered in the middle they did exceptionally well
    A- Turnovers killed us again
    - Gowers and Schache just not doing enough
    - I think we need a bigger body in the ruck . Reckon Tim’s going to be a top ruck , but he’s just so light on

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Naughton is a great contested mark.
    2 English has all the attributes of a good player - he just needs to believe it and we will real the dividends for years to come.
    3 Bailey Smith is another who will be a 200 gamer.
    Anchors.
    1. Our delivery inside 50
    2. Our goal kicking
    3 Our turnovers.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

B1
    That goal from Smith was electrifying. His miss, later in the game would have been The Moment IMO. He is gaining momentum.

B2
    The Specky Show from Naughty and Crozier. Honestly, took the edge off the loss. How many times in your life have you seen multiple screamers in a game from our players? It was unprecedented.

B3
    Bont. Handball, vision and calm under pressure. 3 votes in a losing side I suspect.

A1
    Gowers. A non contributor, passenger riding shotgun all night. Time for Lippa or Greene. Fair dinkum Gilly, lay a tackle, pick a fight, disrupt things, just don't be a pylon.

A2
    Economy. Ratio of I50 to scores still a big factor in the loss. Pies always looked like taking the game away from us because we never sustained any meaningful scoreboard pressure. The last 5 minutes was our issue writ large and in reverse as Collingwood walked a few in.

A3
    Convinced Suckling was robbed of a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Crozier - The current mark of the year. Spectacular.
    Naughty - 19 yo key forward who we can build our forward line around.
    Suckling. Another consistent game.

A

Like Bevo said the ball that Naughty touched was behind the line .
    Umpire - Shocking non decision re: Dickson in the back.
    You can't win when 2 or 3 forwards don't contribute.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Crozier. I am definitely eating my words with this guy. I couldn't see the appeal of another smallish defender when we had quite a few already when we recruited him. He was brilliant last night. He played tight, defended in the air, run off his man at the right times, good disposal, ran hard both ways, 1%ers. He was everything you would want from a defender last night. And THAT mark, wow!!! 100% banker.

2. Bontempelli. He is showing the social media flogs of this world that he is not overrated at all. In fact he is very worthy to be rated in the top 4 midfielders of the comp conversation. I've seen him play some sheer brilliant games over his short career but last night he was workman like with flashes of his normal flare. He is 99% the complete footballer the only blemish at the moment is his conversion. How unlucky is he hitting the post as much as he does though.

3. Cordy's spoil. I can't remember what quarter but he was terribly out of position running with the flight of the ball with the Collingwood player in prime position to take a textbook mark and he somehow spoils the ball and creates enough time for help to arrive. Saves a certain goal. Well done Zaine.

Anchors

1. Obviously Schache. Statue. Barely made any meaningful leads all night and was terrible in the air. He could of at least applied some f50 pressure, nope, zero tackles. C'mon shack, you're better than that.

2. Obviously Gowers. For a bloke with the physical attributes that he has and the marking strength he has, he was trying to hang out the back of the packs all night for the cheapy over that back. It's OK to do if you are smart enough to read if the ball is going over the top but Billy boy you ain't smart enough yet. Play in front and lead hard and create movement is all we needed. And goals.

3. Corridor turn overs. FMD Bruce, it's the same thing every week. I understand the risk for reward but we must execute much much better if this is the game plan.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Crozier mark of the century
    2. Naughton third quarter marking
    3. Bont - What a star.

Anchors

1. Turnovers by Wood, Libba a Daniel
    2. AFL - fixturing us with a 5 day break, can't they get it right
    3. Crucial umpiring - Goal not given, and Cox mark that was taken out of Crozier's hands giving them the lead
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

1. Marcus Bontempelli - 36 disposals been excellent so far this year and will be in the running for the B&F again I expect. Just needs to get some more goals then he will be even greater.

2. Hayden Crozier - Really liked his game last night and is a really good defender. Excellent mark! Our defence I reckon general this year has been good.

3. Bailey Smith - kicked a great goal and has a great future ahead.

Anchors:

1. Our general skill level well down Pies skill not much better. Need to use the footy better.

2. Not taking our oppotinities when we get it up forward. Just need to keep going and do better.

3. Libba turnover in the 3rd quarter which gifted them a goal. Otherwise Libba has been very good this year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

B Bont did some u believable handballs last night. He should definitely be in the discussion of the best in the Como. Some of those even the players didn’t see it was happening. Disposal around the ground is first class as well

B I was a Naughton forward sceptic. Couldn’t see the point of robbing Peter. But holy shit the boy loves to have a jump at it. The mark from four deep was epic. Live his set shot kicking dead straight. Who would have thought that kicking action would be perfect for in front of goal.

B Crozier was awesome last night. He threw himself at everything. Like someone already pointed out his 1%ers were so important

A not looking properly at the one Naughton touched. I really thought he was behind the line. And the mark to Cox at a critical time was very painful to take.

A The boys getting pinged in the back fifty. Ie Wood and Daniel. They looked to give up half way through the turn. At least handball it away. Get done for deliberate out or something rather than give it up right there

A. Agree that Gowers could at least be hitting boys with some hard tackles or bumps. At the very least you could be hurting the opposition ( legally of course). If your not getting it you can still hit hard and make them nervous. He should be protecting the boys out there and making the opposition nervous on the loose ball in our forward line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bankers

1. Crozier mark of the century
    2. Naughton third quarter marking
    3. Bont - What a star.

Anchors

1. Turnovers by Wood, Libba a Daniel
    2. AFL - fixturing us with a 5 day break, can't they get it right
    3. Crucial umpiring - Goal not given, and Cox mark that was taken out of Crozier's hands giving them the lead
    If we had to have a 5 day break the AFL should have made certain that Collingwood played on a Sunday too round 3.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.

1. Tim English.
    I feel like a captain sailing through a storm. The wind is rising, the swell is getting nasty with an unpredictable side chop, and there's no safe harbour in sight, the motley crew are on the verge of mutiny, perhaps even cannibalism.......... but I'm gritting my teeth and holding firm to the rudder, holding my course through the teeth of the gale because I know, I just know the treasure is worth the journey.

Tim English was beaten in the ruck by a seasoned, All Australian, Best and fairest winning, powerful ruckman in his prime.
    Tim English has played 13 games. 13 freaking games. But anyone, seriously, who knows anything about football...........COME ON!! The way the kid moves.........how clean and neat he is below his knees......how seamlessly he involves himself in passages of play and what a balanced and neat kicking style he has. And how he never, ever, ever gave up, or stopped trying. Heart of a lion, and he's 205cm!

I wish we still had Roughead on our list to partner English through this year....I feel Tim has been thrown in to the front line a year too early, but next year and from then on.......Tim English will be phenomenal.

I would offer him a 4/5/6 year deal right now. For all those peanuts out there saying he is useless on the back of that game........you know NOTHING about football or seafaring. NOTHING John Snow.

2. Crozier.
    His second efforts are nothing short of miraculous. He takes Mark of the year and then runs half the length of the ground to try and spoil a mark in the back pocket less than a minute later. I totally takes my hat off to him. He almost reminds me of Dale Morris at times with his selfless attack on the ball. Seems to play with NO EGO despite his prodigious aerial talents.
    I love him.
    I bend the knee.

3. MCG.
    I just love that big open sky on a Friday night. The atmosphere.......the sound...
    There are some things that are better at docklands maybe, but that magical MCG power is undeniable.
    It is our Colosseum. Our Stonehenge. Our great pyramid.
    Our KIng's landing.

Anchors.

Well.......this has been coming for a while.

1. Dunkley's kicking. It's a handicap we have to carry. The modern game punishes you so hard with a sloppy kick across half back.. or in any transitional play..........and this is an accumulative anchor I suppose.........but I have come to dread the ball in Dunkley's hands. I know he's not the only guilty party........... but nevertheless...... we are so easy to score against because the opposition just sets up for our turnovers. You can see them licking their lips when Dunkley gets the ball.
    I actually love the kid and what he brings but we need to address this problem somehow............I know he's not the only offender out there but still, we can't hide them all in the forward pocket. I know people will say he wasn't too bad in this particular game..........but this is an anchor that has been forged over the first 4 games of the year.

2. The forward line coach. Yes I should do my research and find out who it is but..................meh.........
    We have a forward line stacked with talent who all fly for the same mark against each other, don't create space for someone else to lead into. All clog up the pockets and flanks instead of opening one out. Our 'crumbers' fly in the pack with our talls............we are totally and utterly unorganised in the forward line.
    so.............OUR FORWARD LINE COACH GETS AN ANCHOR.

3. Libba's kick across the halfback line. You know the one.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Tory Dickson 100 games
    Tim English for sticking at it
    Bailey Smith for his first goal
    Midfield for an amazing job given our ruck situation

Anchors
    Score review
    Shack and BGowers
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    B

Crozier - The current mark of the year. Spectacular.
    Naughty - 19 yo key forward who we can build our forward line around.
    Suckling. Another consistent game.

A

Like Bevo said the ball that Naughty touched was behind the line .
    Umpire - Shocking non decision re: Dickson in the back.
    You can't win when 2 or 3 forwards don't contribute.
    Holy Moly is he only 19??? What a gigantus boy, and he's OURS! Oh Joy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus