Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  91
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R5 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Loved Danny, strong as an ox and could take a strong mark.
    And kick straight!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Were you at the WACA for that Friday night game in 1991 when Sumich kicked 7 goals in a qtr and 13 for the match on Paul Gow, and we were humiliated by 20 goals in Noah's Ark conditions? Good times.

God I loved the 1992 season, especially beating the Saints 3 times. My 2nd favourite year behind 2016. Dammit, thinking about Del Re kicking 72 goals for the season has got me fired up for this week!
    Yep. I was at the WACA that night. I was at Subi for the 2016 tank-job vs Freo...there have been some ugly days at all of the grounds in Perth, that's for sure. Then again, I was also at Subi for the final vs WC in 2016 and I will be at Burswood this Saturday night.

We are at where we are at - what can any of us do about it? May as well try and think good thoughts and have SOMETHING to look forward too on the weekend...the alternative is to just say "that's it, season over" and give it up - I know I will end up watching the games anyway so I may as well take the former course otherwise I am just being a miserable old barstard!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Looked like Royce Hart was back.
    It wasn't that bad. We haven't lost ten games in a row to start the season. God they were awful days.

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Round #1 - we are 40 points up half through the 3rd, our pressure was outstanding

Round #2 - all day defensive pressure was there, we kicked goals late to win but on balance we were the better team all day except for a few brain fades where we allowed them out the back

Round #3 - we don’t turn up, our pressure is lacking, we still manage 20 extra inside 50s but can hurt them due to a dysfunctional forward line, should have really won in the end with just a touch of composure

Round #4 - we go blow for blow with the Premiership favourite for 3 1/2 quarters after a five day break, our pressure and intensity can’t be questioned, we run out of steam late and again we pay a dear price for cheap turn overs

Round #5 - we get smashed on the inside, worst game our mids have played for a long time, that doesn’t represent what we have put out in the first four weeks, it’s an absolute train wreck (when we get half a sniff we can’t hit the side of a barn and to make it worse they make us pay directly from the point kick in multiple times)

For most of the first four weeks you can’t question our endeavour. Today was different. Did the players also think “what the hell was Bevo thinking with these sections?”. Let’s be honest, we were all bemused.

It’s never as good as it appears. It’s never as bad as it appears
    . Let’s see what happens next week!
    Great post and the bolded bit is so true. Win the next couple and we are well and truly back on track.

However I would like us to stop talking about improving/fixing our goalkicking and actually do something about it. And the answer is so obvious. It all comes back to technique. Speaking of which I've noticed something else that our guys are doing that isn't helping-when they are taking a set shot they are running in to kick while looking at the scoreboard. How can you kick straight if you don't have your head over the ball? Kicking for goal is a lot like driving a golf ball off the tee, you keep your head over the ball and kick through it. What you don't do is lift your head until you have kicked the ball/driven the ball off the tee. Back in the '70s we were all taught this as kids. What are they teaching them now?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This will cheer some of you up. I got a good laugh out of it.

https://twitter.com/CcSpondon/status...652899841?s=09
    Love it! It reminds me of me.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Can't be technique it's just way too unfathomable this hasn't been looked at over and over for each player. Has to be kicking under extreme fatigue or a mental / pressure issue. Perhaps it becomes a technical issue under fatigue I dunno. Either that or most of our players are in league with a sports betting agency.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo sounds flat in his weekly "Bevo's Brief" https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...4667_136321241

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Bevo sounds flat in his weekly "Bevo's Brief" https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...4667_136321241
    Aren't we all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Can't be technique it's just way too unfathomable this hasn't been looked at over and over for each player. Has to be kicking under extreme fatigue or a mental / pressure issue. Perhaps it becomes a technical issue under fatigue I dunno. Either that or most of our players are in league with a sports betting agency.

That's exactly where you need to rely on your technique. When you are fatigued or you are lacking confidence it can help just to have 3 or 4 things (walk back to the top of the mark and take a deep breath to relax yourself, walk in straight and hold the footy still in your hands, keep your head over the ball until it hits your foot and don't lift it until you have kicked through the ball) that you go through every time when you kick the footy. It's basically a routine that you default to.

Its the same as an out of form batsman relying on his technique to survive at the crease until the ball starts to hit the middle of his bat. You aren't going to make runs sitting in the pavilion but your technique (playing with a straight bat and keeping your head still) might just get you through a bad patch until you can start to make runs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches votes:

WESTERN BULLDOGS v CARLTON
    10 Harrison McKay (CARL)
    7 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    7 Sam Petrevski-Seton (CARL)
    4 Zac Fisher (CARL)
    1 Lachie Plowman (CARL)
    1 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

LEADERBOARD
    36 Patrick Cripps
    35 Marcus Bontempelli
    26 Tim Kelly
    25 Patrick Dangerfield
    24 Lachie Neale
    23 Lachie Whitfield
    22 Nat Fyfe
    21 Michael Walters
    20 Stephen Coniglio
    19 Seb Ross

The Bont not in the first 2 of the Woof votes!

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Coaches votes:

10 Harrison McKay (CARL)
    7 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    4 Zac Fisher (CARL)
    1 Lachie Plowman (CARL)

LEADERBOARD
    36 Patrick Cripps
    35 Marcus Bontempelli
    26 Tim Kelly
    25 Patrick Dangerfield
    24 Lachie Neale
    23 Lachie Whitfield
    22 Nat Fyfe
    21 Michael Walters
    20 Stephen Coniglio
    19 Seb Ross

Woofers value goal kicking accuracy more than our coach perhaps?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches votes:

10 Harrison McKay (CARL)
    7 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    4 Zac Fisher (CARL)
    1 Lachie Plowman (CARL)

LEADERBOARD
    36 Patrick Cripps
    35 Marcus Bontempelli
    26 Tim Kelly
    25 Patrick Dangerfield
    24 Lachie Neale
    23 Lachie Whitfield
    22 Nat Fyfe
    21 Michael Walters
    20 Stephen Coniglio
    19 Seb Ross

It's a good point you raise but Bont has kicked something like 1 goal 9 from scoring shots and I don't think he has performed as well as the coaches seem to think.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Woofers value goal kicking accuracy more than our coach perhaps?
    And the opposition coaches.......

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And the opposition coaches.......
    I respect the coaches more when it comes to voting. We do it based on emotion

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We'll do what we can but we seem a way off a cohesive unit. I hope we do fight it out but our hearts just don't seem like their in it.
    I am inclined to put the Carlton game to one side and take a more pragmatic view. We played well and won in rounds 1 and 2. Not perfect but at the level of intensity we needed to. We dropped off a little in round 3. Got beat by less than a kick. A game we should have won. We came to the party in round 4 and to be honest had chances to win, but were beaten by a better team, one which will play finals this year and probably go deep. We could easily be 4-1, but we find ourselves 2-3.

The first 4 games were all hard games. Tough physical contests.The Carlton game was insipid. Personally I think our guys looked wrecked. Tired/hurting and that maybe 4 hard games finally took its toll. Can we bounce back? I think we can. I think we need to get our heads right and some fresh bodies from the VFL side (remembering they had a bye) will help.

Post Thanks / Like

For all of our sanity can we please close this thread!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    For all of our sanity can we please close this thread!
    YES!! please