Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  91
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R5 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's bad enough listening to other supporters say a premiership is a fluke, but really honestly - FMD
    Yeh I’m with you. I can’t stand the premiership being called a fluke. It was against the odds, and it took form unheard of, but it is impossible to “fluke” four games in a row.

David Bradbury is the definition of a fluke. We played the greatest finals campaign of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a fluke based on what we’ve delivered since. That’s my point.

Opinions are like arseholes
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've defended that talk for 3 years, but after the last 2 weeks of pathetic efforts, I'm having trouble.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Let me be blantantly honest. The premiership was an absolute fluke, as we were the 7th best team after the H & A. We have just gone downhill since.

We got rid of the party boys over a 2 year period, blaming their attitude for our decline. Sorry, there is something more sinister here, and I feel it starts with the coach. Prove me wrong.
    While I don't agree that the premiership was a fluke I do agree that we should have done a lot more to try and turn the attitude of Stringer in particular around. He is a once in a generation player and we couldn't wait to show him the door. Players like Stringer are high maintenance. It comes with the territory, you can either have players like Stringer who require a lot of work but win you games or you can have a bunch of good boys who cause little trouble but turn in shitful performances that never win you games at all.

We might laugh behind our hands at Essendon always winning the trade period but which of our two clubs is closer to winning a premiership right here and now? I'll give you a clue, it isn't us.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's a good call. Nobody says Essendons 93 was a fluke I'm so over people saying that.
    It's a joke, really to say something like that. No one flukes a premiership. 7th we were just two games off top, lost one game by more than 4 goals for the whole season. Had a bloody good year including the home and away season.

We are all disappointed with today, it was a shambles and embarrassment and we are all hurting. We need to stick by and keep supporting the club.

JUst on supporting, our attendance for this game was WEAK as PISS.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    While I don't agree that the premiership was a fluke I do agree that we should have done a lot more to try and turn the attitude of Stringer in particular around. He is a once in a generation player and we couldn't wait to show him the door. Players like Stringer are high maintenance. It comes with the territory, you can either have players like Stringer who require a lot of work but win you games or you can have a bunch of good boys who cause little trouble but turn in shitful performances that never win you games at all.

We might laugh behind our hands at Essendon always winning the trade period but which of our two clubs is closer to winning a premiership right here and now? I'll give you a clue, it isn't us.
    Stringer is an ordinary player and has not captured what he did 2015 and prior. Glad he is gone, with his attitude.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringer is an ordinary player and has not captured what he did 2015 and prior. Glad he is gone, with his attitude.
    He’s actually been very good this year.

How is it that all the players we let go are playing well - Stringer, Dahlhaus, Roughead and Hamling yet who did we replace them with? Gowers? Lloyd?

Our list management is pathetic. You might want to cover for Bevo and the coaching group but the heat should be burning hot because this isn’t a sample size of 5 games it’s a sample size of close to 50 games since 2016.

10. Likes DOG GOD, Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a fluke based on what we’ve delivered since. That’s my point.

Opinions are like arseholes
    Some smell more than others.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a joke, really to say something like that. No one flukes a premiership. 7th we were just two games off top, lost one game by more than 4 goals for the whole season. Had a bloody good year including the home and away season.

We are all disappointed with today, it was a shambles and embarrassment and we are all hurting. We need to stick by and keep supporting the club.

JUst on supporting, our attendance for this game was WEAK as PISS.
    We are generally a quietish bunch but today the Blues fans were in good voice from the outset and seemed to have way more support than us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Some smell more than others.
    Fair enough, I’ll use some baby powder next time I post.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, I’ll use some baby powder next time I post.
    Ha....I get your argument I just don't agree. Fluke to me is in the moment like a half court hail Mary etc. Not a hind sight call.

Post Thanks / Like

Because he is playing for a club that he didn't want to play for. He wanted to be a one club player, after all who was the first player to contact Gordon to ask what he could do to help after Griffen walked and the coach was sacked? Yep it was Stringer. Like I said he was high maintenance but he won us games. Other clubs understand that and work hard to keep the dickhead element under wraps, why don't we? At the very least why didn't we keep our mouths shut about his troubles when we ran him out the door?

Do you think that Garry Ablett was a perfect angel? Or Dermott Brereton? Or Darren Millane? They were/are dickheads of the highest order but what was important was their performance on the field. We are a football club, not a boy scout pack. Stringer will come good at Essendon and we will wonder why we let him go.

And if it was a choice between him and the coach? The way things are going pretty soon we will have neither. And I'm starting to think that the reason Bont only signed a short term extension wasnt just to take him to his FA status, it was also with half an eye as to whether the club would self implode (as per usual) by the time his next contract is due.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

17. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have argued Cordy is not a KPP, but shot down by a few on this forum.

We were beaten in the clearances, stoppages and our mids just struggled to make an impact Williams DID NOT DESERVE HIS SPOT, so not sure how he was picked as VFL form ordinary.

Mckay is one of the best marks in the AFL, and we didn't stop the supply. At least English beat Kruezer.
    And you said we were tall enough and had enough ruckman over the draft and trade period didn't you? Under Bevo Cordy is a KPD. We could have swung Naughton back there but had to put him in the ruck.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    He’s actually been very good this year.

How is it that all the players we let go are playing well - Stringer, Dahlhaus, Roughead and Hamling yet who did we replace them with? Gowers? Lloyd?

Our list management is pathetic. You might want to cover for Bevo and the coaching group but the heat should be burning hot because this isn’t a sample size of 5 games it’s a sample size of close to 50 games since 2016.
    Stringer is not a once in a generation player, The Bont is. Stringer averages 12 dispoals a game, whoopee do.

I am not covering for anyone, I thought the MC erred this week, but you need to watch the game and see where we lost it.

I can't agree on list management being pathetic, but I don't want to argue either because it is tiresome - so we agree to disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

From the information released publicly, we did a lot. Murph said there were 2 years of issues. That's a long time for someone.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]