Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 or more things we already know, but no one will do anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Based on evidence of the 3 years since, it's the only conclusion I can reach.
    Talk about knee jerk nonsense
    You don’t fluke a win in Perth , Sydney and the three peat powerhouse

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not in the fluke camp - but you can mount a case.

You don’t fluke 4 finals?

Well, West Coast underestimated us and were ripe for the upsetting
    The 2016 Hawthorn was finished, had dipped significantly from the three peat
    GWS were playing in their first prelim and were playing their 2nd game in 4 weeks due to the bye
    The umps handed us the GF

This is all devils advocate, I believe about 40% of it. On reflection, I’m staggered we got it done.

So happy we did of course...makes today a bit easier to swallow. I’d be livid if we hadn’t nicked that flag and were turning this in, and I reckon today would’ve been a coach killer if that were the case
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Talk about knee jerk nonsense
    You don’t fluke a win in Perth , Sydney and the three peat powerhouse
    Again, not in the mood. It, like everything on this forum, is an opinion.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    So including finals we won 19 games for the season and had a horror run with injuries. Fluke? That’s crazy talk.
    Swans and us finished season 19-7 it's a fair case the best two sides of the year played off .

Post Thanks / Like

Im not in the fluke camp, but I think we got lucky with a few things.

Beveridge as a coach is a gambler. His whole coaching career he has backed in the unconventional, and for 2015 and 2016 it worked. We were a talented squad that was for the first time unleashed as an attacking force, and every play he made came off (unconventional selection, picking 1st year players for key roles, relying on players coming straight back in from long term injuries, playing 1 key defender, 1 ruck, midfielders as forwards etc.). He bottled lightning with the team spirit and will to win that season, and that combined with high risk tactics that always came off won us the premiership.

It wasn't a fluke, we were genuinely a very good side that year and deserved the premiership, but since then all the gambles he has made, which all came off in 2016, have failed to come off. And really lets face it none of them should work.

Playing a completely undersized defence throughout the season, shouldn't work, did in 2016.
    Playing a forwardline relying on an outrageous amount of inside 50s to produce a score from woeful conversion, shouldn't work, did in 2016.
    Bringing players straight back from injury after log lay offs or playing with niggles, shouldn't work, did in 2016.
    Almost always allow the opposition to get within a kick of the lead in the last quarter, shouldn't work, did in 2016.

These are the most obvious to me, and they are all things you shouldn't be able to point at and be confident will work. Yet in 2016 they did, almost every week. Fluke or not that was certainly Beveridges best gambling return.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Likes Grantysghost, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Again, not in the mood. It, like everything on this forum, is an opinion.
    Maybe I'm having an issue with the word fluke. It means it was luck rather than skill. You can't get that much luck...

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Who cares?
    Exactly. We won it.

The thread was about things not learned and things we don't or can't address.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Where is the unlike button when you want it.
    I don’t agree that it was a fluke. You play against great sides in the finals and we took up the challenge in 2016 and succeeded.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

We did not fluke the GF and we were an awesome team in 2015 and 2016. What has happened since though is worth taking the coaching team to task over.
    Momentum is a bitch of a thing to regain when you take your eyes off the ball and despite assurances to the contrary I think most would now agree we were asleep at the wheel in 2017 and have paid a high price for it since.

We are almost a quarter of the way into the season and the signs aren't great. How we go about the next 3 weeks will tell us where we are really at.

2016 was no fluke though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m finding some relevance in discussing past achievements, as it may buy a senior coach more time than perhaps is warranted
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the Positive Thread?

Post Thanks / Like

We’re also now talking apples with oranges compared to our current list.

We had some experienced, hard it at types in MBoyd, Picko, Moz, Dahlhaus and a desperate Clay Smith. Biggs was also experienced and a different player than his 2017 version, and Stringer would command a very good defender each week.

A better performing ruck setup in TBoyd and Roughy and a better balance of tall KPDs with Hamling, and Roberts (w/ Wood & Moz).

That’s half our team not there today, and very key contributors, and when coupled with the 3rd man up rule and catching many by surprise with the manic intensity at the stoppages that is now the minimum standard today, set us up very well when the finals came.

I don’t believe for one moment that 2016 was a fluke but I can see how this could be interpreted when you compare today with circa 2016. To the contrary, we were quite outstanding in 2016 given the extent of injuries suffered and up against the might of the hugely resourced interstate teams with their incredible home ground advantages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    What happened to the Positive Thread?
    Burned down. Covered in gasoline and thrown into an dry well.

18. Likes G-Mo77, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst thing that could’ve happened after round 2, happened.

The media broadcasted we were back to our 2016 hunger and desperation.

Bevo and the club believed it, and have been playing arrogant since.

I didn’t believe it.

Leading Sydney by 40 points,then almost giving up the lead in the last qtr
    Losing to hawks by 30 points at 3 qtr time, only to kick 9 in the last with them 2 players down on the bench (Burgoyne and Shiel I think)

I know it’s hindsight, but we could easily be 0-5

We had the arrogant “just turn up” mannerisms against GC and Carl and we had our pants pulled down by more desperate, hard running, better skilled teams.

I think our coaches, and some of our teams leaders, need to take a good hard look in the mirror, or give 50% of their salary to charity, who deserve the money.
    I will never see #16 the same!!