Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Moment: Rnd 5, 2019 vs Carlton

A defining or most courageous moment.
    Let's keep this brief...

Thursday night's selections were the defining moment. Set up to fail before a bounce, not to mention to motivate the opposition.
    Bringing two debutants in for Suckling and Duryea. Smacked of hubris to me and disrespect of the opposition.
    We drop Schache... fair enough he was a statue last week, but don't bring in any height? No Trengove, despite smashing the door down in VFL.
    No Lipinski despite dominating.

No disrespect to Young or Hayes.. Hayes especially performed okay. But how would Trengove or Lippa be feeling?

As for the actual game.. the defining moment... pick from a plethora of missed shots on goal. Maybe Billy Gowers cross goal face floater... and then Carlton immediately go up the other end and Casboult proceeds to smash a goal on the boundary from 50....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Rnd 5, 2019 vs Carlton

Not selecting Trengove to play deep. Their bigs monstered us and we had no one to compete wit them. It was lost in the midfield today but we could of at least made it a bit more difficult for McKay up forward and around the ground.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When it was determined the best chance at winning involved selecting Hayes & Young.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    When it was determined the best chance at winning involved selecting Hayes & Young.
    I thought both showed something today, although Lippa and Trengove, and maybe even Lewie Young would have been better. Williams didn't warrant selection either and up to half time had 4 disposals, and finished with 9
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This.

It’s nice that Young was enjoying Easter at home while Carlton took 16 marks in their forward line on our midget defenders.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought both showed something today, although Lippa and Trengove, and maybe even Lewie Young would have been better. Williams didn't warrant selection either and up to half time had 4 disposals, and finished with 9
    Absolutely. We had much better, seasoned options. And ignored them. Sure they got dome touches, but they didn't address any of the issues that was plain to see before the game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Caleb's kick from the pocket laterally to find (I think) Petrevski Seton when we were on a mini roll killed off the game. Also Woods failure to kill the ball in Carlton's forward 50 when all he had to do was step back over the boundary was a defining moment. Ball squirted out and Gibbons kicked a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I thought Caleb's kick from the pocket laterally to find (I think) Petrevski Seton when we were on a mini roll killed off the game. Also Woods failure to kill the ball in Carlton's forward 50 when all he had to do was step back over the boundary was a defining moment. Ball squirted out and Gibbons kicked a goal.
    I literally just posted about this moment in another thread. All JJ had to do was make a contest and we would've gone away with it with our numbers. But for some reason he didn't want to make body contact.

Post Thanks / Like

I literally just posted about this moment in another thread. All JJ had to do was make a contest and we would've gone away with it with our numbers. But for some reason he didn't want to make body contact.
    It was a shit kick to him as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was a shit kick to him as well.
    Both are right. But I question why he wouldn’t make a contest, like others wouldn’t lay proper tackles.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad turnovers killing our confidence at the worst times is something that will just not go away. The Libba kick also swung the momentum last week.

Before the Caleb kick. We were three goals down with the ball in hand, had kicked the last two against a side that would be nervous and we gift wrap them a goal.

Also, both Billy’s misses in the 3rd (both easy shots) directly resulted in goals at the other end. Momentum is massive in football.

Post Thanks / Like

The moment Jack Bowes snapped the match winning goal for the Suns last week - the media blowtorch went straight onto Carlton, when it should have also been on us for blowing 2 games in 2 weeks.

The pressure needs to be turned up to 11 on our club this week, but with a trip to ACL Park in Perth this week to play the red hot Ross Lyings, fat lot of good it will do.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was Toby McLean's shot in the last. Sorry you make that kick and we are 16 points down and the choking pressure on Carlton is increased, our momentum builds. Instead we choke with the kick and they transition easily and its game over.

We didn't deserve to win, but 3 mins into the last we could have

Post Thanks / Like

We had bad moments all game too numerous to mention. We started slow and played catch up all day. A day to forget.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    We had bad moments all game too numerous to mention. We started slow and played catch up all day. A day to forget.

Yep - agree. From selection to final siren, and Bevo's presser too. Regarding selection, I would have been OK if Trengove had of played to support English and we had left one of Hayes or Young out. No tags on Blue's midfield starts either. Bevo decision making is baffling. Hubris overload.

Hayes looked ok, Sweet outsized as per all our backs. A day to forget for sure.

I think we should start a petition for a goal kicking coach. Enough is enough. As supporters we deserve more than the drivel served up yesterday. When players like Dunkley (who should play in midfield or trade him, simple as that), Gowers, Hunter etc. kick for goal you mark it down as OOB or if lucky a point. Simply not good enough especially as you can see plain as day what is wrong with their technique. Perhaps Dicko to retire soon and become goal kicking coach?