Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So how do we fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Yeah with mucho respect Gary, skills and set shot conversions aren't minor "tweaks", they're fatal, fundamental flaws that routinely cost us results and have too long proven our achilles heel.

If these coaches can't fix it we need to think about coaches that can. Or just accept our lot.
    I don't believe the coaches think it's as broken as it is and as a result they haven't increased the focus. It can't be that hard of a fix.
    The other area that concerns me is that Bevo made it know when he arrived he was going to improve our skill level getting players to improve their kicking especially on the opposite foot but I've not see any improvement there

I don't believe these are hard fixes but I do agree with you we either make it a focus or accept that this is they way it will be.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

After a turbulent period St.Kilda had a massive cleanout at the club and got Ratten onboard to lend a hand to a struggling Richardson. 5 games in and Saints are sitting on top of the ladder atm. I know a few on here, me included wanted the dogs to go hard at Ratten to allow assistance to Bevo, especially on game day, but while saints swept house, we kept the boys club together. Looks like the coaches got a 10 year contract after 2016��
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Where is the fresh new face on our coaching panel? Where is the IP coming in from other clubs? Why have we been so reluctant to bring in other assistant coaches?
    I don't want to be that guy who knows someone but I do so I am going to be ... He is well known in the industry to look after his mates and doesn't like to be challenged. Eg. Groves the AFLw coach played under Bevo at St Bedes. Hopefully he realises surrounding yourself with yes men isn't all it's cracked to be.

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their job."

Samuel Goldwyn knew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    After a turbulent period St.Kilda had a massive cleanout at the club and got Ratten onboard to lend a hand to a struggling Richardson. 5 games in and Saints are sitting on top of the ladder atm. I know a few on here, me included wanted the dogs to go hard at Ratten to allow assistance to Bevo, especially on game day, but while saints swept house, we kept the boys club together. Looks like the coaches got a 10 year contract after 2016��
    I have said from day one we should have a senior assistant. Macca needed one as well, but for some reason we have resisted or we couldn't attract anyone.

King - started in 2011 as a ruck coach and has moved to several roles, and is now Senior Assistant.

Corey - started at end of 2013 and Hansen ha been there since end of 2012.

The other coaches Steve Grace - 2017, Gia now VFL, Jordon Russell and Jamie Maddock are development coaches from 2016

So there have been some changes, but we need to look at a new influx from next year, just for new ideas from successful clubs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Grantysghost, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have any of them been sort out by other clubs or poached ? That may say something. Tigers did the big sweep after 2016 bringing in Caracella, Leppitsch. I'd say the club would be well aware and Grant needs to make some tough calls now.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Richmond did the same thing prior to their premiership. Kept Hardwick but all assistant coaches were new. I believe most of our assistant coaches are out of contract this year. But I stand corrected.

9. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't believe the coaches think it's as broken as it is and as a result they haven't increased the focus. It can't be that hard of a fix.
    The other area that concerns me is that Bevo made it know when he arrived he was going to improve our skill level getting players to improve their kicking especially on the opposite foot but I've not see any improvement there

I don't believe these are hard fixes but I do agree with you we either make it a focus or accept that this is they way it will be.
    Why isn't it fixed if it's not hard? It's been a longstanding issue and has cost us games of footy. Given how hard we work to actually get a shot in goal I would have thought this would be one of the most critical things to 'fix' well before now. I think the technique aspect is fixable, the mental side of it not so much. It's been going on too long and has become a cognitive issue for our players now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

We had by all accounts one of the best assistant coaches in the business - Monty. He is apparently one of the best tacticians but will also challenge the other coaches which by all accounts is a no no with Bevo. No surprise the back line at Port is doing well this year with Monty.

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think after our premiership success, the “boys club” was formed. And I don’t care what organision you work in, if your not challegened by fellow employees, mangement etc, then you are destined for complacency.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant OR Bev should be on the phone to David Rath (the architect of Hawthorns elite kicking) and get him to the Dogs (or get his recommendations on the next best person). Thats a long term fix for a long term problem.

Watching Bont go backwards has been terrible. Only a handful of players are reliable set shots and only a few more are reliable field kicks.

Pick some talls with grunt ie not Schache. Pick some runners who can kick. Change the balance away from one paced butchers and mids who cant kick playing fwd. Right now poor old Dunks looks genuinely embarassed lining up for goal.

Play players in their best position or not at all.

15. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't David Rath work for the AFL now? Pretty sure after 10 years of life on the treadmill he is done with being involved in a club for a while...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

This result was truly shocking to me. I get the feeling the MC, coaches and players had chalked this down as a win as soon as the final siren sounded after the Pies game. Certainly the selection of two first gamers, which no one on here predicted, was a sign that the MC thought we had this one in the bag.
    After our win over Hawthorn I was confident we would have a good year - not any more. Must radically improve our goal kicking and field kicking. Turnover kill us. Missed shots eviscerate us. We are in trouble.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Can we move our home ground to the G?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Marvel is our home ground now but certainly wouldn’t hurt us to play there more than we do. After all that is where the finals are played. Always good to get MCG experience.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I wish. But you're right our form at Marvel is atrocious. Maybe we can request the roof stays open to simulate a real football ground. I dunno I'm willing to try anything.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.