Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selection? What a cop out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Get the feeling players are frustrated and disheartened with our goal kicking. Players work so hard to get a shot at goal only to see it pissed away by pretty much everyone bar a couple of players must be dispiriting. Watching players turn it over when the mids work so hard to get it must be dispiriting. Watching Caleb regularly get outmarked on the lastline of defence must be hard to watch.
    The story of our kicking effectiveness into forward 50 and at goal has been talked about for numerous seasons under Luke’s watch. He talks about them training it and being given the tools to address it but we continue to sit at the bottom of the pack in this critical part of the game.

That Marcus, such a highly skilled and beautiful field kick, be now so terrible in front of goals speaks volumes to inadequate coaching whether in technical and/or in mental application.

It’s of no value for Bevo to keep saying in his pressers how frustrating it is. He is the Coach, and if he hasn’t got the answers to it, or his support around him are unable to help him, we simply require a more urgent response to bring in expertise that can support him.

Chris Grant has to step up now to bring in outside help in this area as there is now no excuse why our Club should continue to accept and lag at the bottom for goal scoring effectiveness year after year.

Please don’t wait until this season’s done to talk of a review, there’s simply too much at stake to accept another shoddy season in front of the sticks without having a clue how to address it.
    Last edited by Doc26; 22-04-2019 at 12:07 PM.

2. Likes DOG GOD, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    First game, bit harsh - AFL is so much faster than VFL.
    not harsh at all Hayes was known as a ball magnet who couldn't use it at VFL level in his 100 or so games ...sound familiar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Don't agree on that. In career Gowers has kicked 32 goals 25 behinds. Schache 47 goals 38 behinds. On par for accuracy.
    Schache has been much better since crossing with us 17 11 last year. Gowers is going at 50% this year 7 7 the gap between them over the past 18 months is significant.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

not harsh at all Hayes was known as a ball magnet who couldn't use it at VFL level in his 100 or so games ...sound familiar?
    I agree Hayes has been in the system long enough. We knew what we were getting. A ready replacement for Honeychurch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hayes is a “hard tryer” but the fact is our team is chock full of many just like him. Too many guys that try hard, but skill level is below par for AFL...so why was he drafted when guys like Stack (rich) wasn’t? Did we reward him for his dedication to Footscray? Coz that doesn’t cut it with me. I’m sick to death of seeing these types of guys make up the majority of our list.

Ok, he seems like a good guy, but we wanna win games, premierships, and good kicking teams are the ones who go back to back. We are nowhere near that standard, and 2017 showed that to a tee.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

So why can't we manufacture urgency, intensity, engagement?

Players play and coaches coach - why aren't we ready when the ball is bounced? Are we having a few off weeks like Essendon the first 2 rounds,or are we a bottom 4 team with deeper issues?

What's happened with our young leaders? Why isn't anyone standing up and taking it upon themselves to influence the game with a inspirational team first effort?

Lots of questions at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    So why aren't we ready when the ball is bounced?
    This is actually a really good question. For practically Beveridges entire reign we have been terrible starters. This happened for the vast majority of 2016, much of the last two years and every round this year.

We always concede the first goal. Always.

And we often don't even have to wait long. It happened against Sydney round 1. Carlton were lining up for a set shot within 30 seconds. I think Gold Coast kickined one in the first minute. We are glacial out of the blocks, every time.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes Doggy, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    This is actually a really good question. For practically Beveridges entire reign we have been terrible starters. This happened for the vast majority of 2016, much of the last two years and every round this year.

We always concede the first goal. Always.

And we often don't even have to wait long. It happened against Sydney round 1. Carlton were lining up for a set shot within 30 seconds. I think Gold Coast kickined one in the first minute. We are glacial out of the blocks, every time.
    Speaking of concentration, you're unkindly overlooking our unique knack for conceding red-time goals too.

Melbourne's getting a lot of shit this week for being easy to play against.

We should send them a thank you gift for sparing us the same scrutiny.

At least until we find a way to embarrass ourselves against Fremantle on Saturday.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Speaking of concentration, you're unkindly overlooking our unique knack for conceding red-time goals too.

Melbourne's getting a lot of shit this week for being easy to play against.

We should send them a thank you gift for sparing us the same scrutiny.

At least until we find a way to embarrass ourselves against Fremantle on Saturday.
    I think this is part of the problem. I think we need a media pummelling the likes of which Essendon, Carlton, and Melbourne have all received so far this year. If it is complacent coaches that is part of the problem, that might shake them a little. Maybe they will bring in some outside help? Apparently Carlton conducted a mini review before playing us and maybe it worked?

It would have been great if we had been given the full blowtorch treatment after Carlton. I don’t want to have to have more losses like that for it to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we back to being irrelevant?
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Are we back to being irrelevant?
    Yes we are. Media don't even want to bag us that much because we're so far off the map.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in our natural place so the club can be strong with Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon at the top of the ladder where they belong because that's what's best for footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hayes' ball use was better than his peers at VFL level.

It was terrible in JLT and in the first half against Carlton but he gut runs and slowly improves. I have my doubts but not ruling a line through him until he's had more opportunity. He runs both ways which our boys could learn a thing or two from.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hayes' ball use was better than his peers at VFL level.

It was terrible in JLT and in the first half against Carlton but he gut runs and slowly improves. I have my doubts but not ruling a line through him until he's had more opportunity. He runs both ways which our boys could learn a thing or two from.
    I'm not writing him off. It's a big step up to AFL level and he demonstrated he has both the work rate and knowledge to get in positions to be of benefit to the team and get the ball. His disposal wasn't overly impressive but could be partly due to the added real and perceived pressure (and also not helped by lack of supporting runners or targets to kick to).

Besides you can look at someone like Tipungwuti who looked completely off the pace in his first few games at AFL level and is now playing excellent footy. Sometimes it takes a while for players to adjust.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm not writing him off. It's a big step up to AFL level and he demonstrated he has both the work rate and knowledge to get in positions to be of benefit to the team and get the ball. His disposal wasn't overly impressive but could be partly due to the added real and perceived pressure (and also not helped by lack of supporting runners or targets to kick to).

Besides you can look at someone like Tipungwuti who looked completely off the pace in his first few games at AFL level and is now playing excellent footy. Sometimes it takes a while for players to adjust.
    I agree with you. He makes good position and he had 21 possessions in a game where Bontempelli and Macrae had 24 from more game time. Excellent for a first gamer.

7 score involvements was a fine contribution. Especially when some players who had less than 7 possessions don’t have to worry about being selected the following week.

20. Likes Mofra liked this post